The Lost Challenges discussion

Archives - Monthly Challenges > September Scattergories

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Scattergories is one of my favorite games to play, and reading one of my favorite pastimes, so I've combined the two.

The general rules of Scattergories are you are given a list of categories and a time limit. Then the letter dice is rolled and you have to come up with something that matches your letter and the category.

This “Challenge” works in conjunction with the other challenges you may participate in this month. You may use a book to fulfill multiple items (you don't have to read 12 books this month...don't worry!) While you are fulfilling the requirements of your other challenges, be on the lookout for the following items (they may be on the cover or mentioned in the book):

The Challenge: I will post a list of 12 categories, 6 general relating to any book, and 6 specific to that month. On the last day of the month before, I will post the letter of the month. You can start reading on the 1st. The goal is to get as many points as possible by the end of the month.

Duration: August 1st to August 31st
Rules:
1.Any genre of books will work
2.Ebooks and audio count
3.You can read in any order
4.Rereads are ok but if you really reread the book

Points: You get one point for each category you can tie to a book, where the first letter begins with the letter of the month. You get double points for each time the letter of the month is used to begin a word (ex. for author if the letter was C, Cassandra Claire would be 2 points). We will not be deducting points for duplicate answers like the original game version does.

…..Note….. if you have already earned 1 point for an item and come across another item worth more points you can replace it. Please only list the one book that you are currently using for points.

Special categories are open for interpretation. As long as it is mentioned in the book and you can justify how it fits, it will work.

When you find one of the items list the Book Title and Author (or link the cover), date it, and specify where the item is found within the book. (i.e. page number, e-reader location, audio chapter)

Just like the regular game we will not use the letters Q, U, V, X, Y and Z. (or K)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Items:
General
1. Book Title:
2. Author:
3. Main Character:
4. Secondary Character:
5. Place:
6. Cover:

September Specials
The flower for September is the Forget Me Not, which usually have a YELLOW center. In the US the first Monday is Labor day where we celebrate the WORK force. September is also the month more BABIES are born in. September 11, 2001 planes were FLOWN into NYC's twin World Trade Towers and the Pentagon. September 11, 1962 the Beatles recorded their 1st single "LOVE Me Do". Finally to my husbands relief it is FOOTBALL season here in the states.

7. Yellow
8. Work
9. Baby
10. Fly/flew/flown
11. Love
12. Football

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) The letter of the month is N.

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) ...

message 5: by Danielle Book Boss (last edited Sep 15, 2013 04:37PM) (new)

Danielle Book Boss (daniellebookboss) | 423 comments Letter: N
Items:
General
1. Book Title: Nightwalker
2. Author: Chloe Neill Some Girls Bite
3. Main Character:
4. Secondary Character: Nick Crux
5. Place: New Orleans Crux
6. Cover:

Specials:

7. Yellow
8. Work - "Don't let her hear you say that, or you might be looking for a new" job Loc. 993 Crux - 1 point
9. Baby
10. Fly/flew/flown
11. Love - " She watched her reflection in the mirror as she tied off the end of the braid, and studied her neck and the prominent love bite Jackson had left the night before." Loc. 4155 Crux - 2 points
12. Football

Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill Crux (Southern Arcana, #1) by Moira Rogers Nightwalker (Dark Days, #1) by Jocelynn Drake

message 6: by PepperP0t (last edited Sep 04, 2013 07:44AM) (new)

PepperP0t  | 2084 comments yay! scattergories - I'm in

Letter: N (14/12point)
Night Myst (Indigo Court, #1) by Yasmine Galenorn (9/1 - 3.75stars) Omega Mine (Alpha and Omega Series, #1) by Aline Hunter (9/2 - 4.25stars) Bait (Angler, #1) by Annie Nicholas (9/3 - 4stars) Infinity (Chronicles of Nick, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (9/4 - 3.75stars)
General
1. Book Title: : Night Myst by Yasmine Galenorn
2. Author: Bait by Annie Nicholas
3. Main Character: Nick Gautier - Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon
4. Secondary Character: Nathan - Pack Beta Omega Mine by Aline Hunter 9/2 - 4.25stars
5. Place: New York - Omega Mine
6. Cover: Neck - Bait
Specials:
7. Yellow: Bait So pale and yellow, sometimes it seemed like a neon sign saying ‘here I am’. (pg 248)
8. Work: Night Myst Now I could start to truly dive into my work with Ulean and see just how far we could take our partnership
9. Baby: Bait Baby, no matter what, death would have claimed you. (pg 244)
10. Fly/flew/flown: Night Myst We'd flown through the night, turning, dipping, but ever-always avoiding Myst's forest
11. Love: Infinity -- Especially since his father had no great love of him. (pg 28)
12. Football: Infinity -- Nick had several friends who were on the football team-starters, no less, not seatwarmers like Stone. (pg 19)

message 7: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) Count me in

message 8: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) I'm in!! Will post books soon.

Items:
General
1. Book Title:
2. Author:
3. Main Character:
4. Secondary Character:
5. Place:
6. Cover:

September Specials
The flower for September is the Forget Me Not, which usually have a YELLOW center. In the US the first Monday is Labor day where we celebrate the WORK force. September is also the month more BABIES are born in. September 11, 2001 planes were FLOWN into NYC's twin World Trade Towers and the Pentagon. September 11, 1962 the Beatles recorded their 1st single "LOVE Me Do". Finally to my husbands relief it is FOOTBALL season here in the states.

7. Yellow
8. Work
9. Baby
10. Fly/flew/flown
11. Love
12. Football

message 9: by Jennifer C. (new)

Jennifer C. Letter: N
Items:
General
1. Book Title:
2. Author:
3. Main Character:
4. Secondary Character:
5. Place:
6. Cover:

Specials:
7. Yellow
8. Work
9. Baby
10. Fly/flew/flown
11. Love
12. Football

message 10: by Jade aka MrsTosh (last edited Sep 05, 2013 08:18AM) (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 706 comments Letter = N
19 POINTS ~ COMPLETED 04.09.13

General
1. Book Title: ~ No Dress Required ~ Cari Quinn
2. Author: ~ Nicole Williams ~ Lost Found
3. Main Character: ~ Noelle Gregory ~ No Dress Required
4. Secondary Character: ~ Neil Lost Found
5. Place: ~ Nashville ~ Dirty Little Secret
6. Cover: ~ Neck ~ No Dress Required

Specials:
7. Yellow: The sparkly party dress in her
backseat, and the yellowed pictures of her Nana she kept in her purse.
(Loc 5.4) 2 points
8. Work: Before I could reply, assuming I could work up a reply in the midst of my shock, whichever sister had roused me in the middle of the nbight for breakfast started heading back down the hall. (Loc 68.4) 2 points
9. Baby: The lack of any physical similarities between Jesse and the rest of his family, the absence of his baby picture on Neil’s office wall with the girls’ (Loc 454) 2 points
10. Fly/flew/flown: No, people! It’s not Halloween! It’s just our resident freak who’s really letting that freak flag fly tonight!” (Loc 180.7) 3 points
11. Love:“He is not in love,” (Loc 320.5) 2 points
12. Football: “He was the pride of the ninth-grade football (Loc 142) 2 points

Lost and Found (Lost and Found, #1) by Nicole Williams **** 02.09.13
No Dress Required (Love Required, #1) by Cari Quinn **** 03.09.13
Dirty Little Secret by Jennifer Echols ****04.09.13

message 11: by Barbara ★ (last edited Oct 01, 2013 10:02AM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 2645 comments Letter = N

12 POINTS

General
1. Book Title:
2. Author: Nora Roberts - The Perfect Hope 9/21 (1 POINT)
3. Main Character: Nathan - Rebel - Zoe Archer 9/8 (1 POINT)
4. Secondary Character: Niniane - The Crystal Cave - Mary Stewart 9/4 (1 POINT)
5. Place: Namid - Written in Red - Anne Bishop 9/16 (1 POINT)
6. Cover: Necklace - Master of Darkness - Angela Knight 9/5 (1 POINT)

Specials:
7. Yellow: he stepped briskly through the lobby and out into the night, yellow socks flashing - p8
Unzipped - Lois Greiman 9/2 (1 POINT)
8. Work: what Farrell needed now was the commonplace, a familiar face, work to do - p91
Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled - Dorothy Gilman 9/2 (2 POINTS)
9. Baby: I never knew the old man had a grandson, barring Camlach's baby - p150
The Crystal Cave - Mary Stewart 9/4 (1 POINT)
10. Fly/flew/flown: convinced her that she needn't fly down - p309
11. Love: I hope I didn't look like a love-starved puppy but puppies need love too - p39
12. Football: garnering me nothing but information about his warrior days on the football field - p52 Unzipped - Lois Greiman 9/2 (1 POINT)

The Crystal Cave (Arthurian Saga, #1) by Mary Stewart Master of Darkness (Mageverse, #9) by Angela Knight Unzipped (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #1) by Lois Greiman Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled (Mrs. Pollifax, Book 14) by Dorothy Gilman The Perfect Hope (Inn Boonsboro, #3) by Nora Roberts Rebel (The Blades of the Rose, #3) by Zoe Archer Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop

message 12: by Suzanne (last edited Sep 30, 2013 06:24AM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1663 comments The Lost Challenges
September Scattergories
Duration:
9/1/2013 - 9/30/2013

Letter: N

Progress: 12 out of 12

General
1. Book Title:
A Night to Surrender by Tessa Dare - ***** - 9/10/2013
2. Author: Heaven and Earth by Nora Roberts - ** - 9/17/2013
3. Main Character: Nina Whitson: Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah - ***** - 9/29/2013
4. Secondary Character: Nynaeve al'Meara: The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan - ***** - 9/30/2013
5. Place: New York: Lover Mine by J.R. Ward - *** - 9/5/2013
6. Cover: Nipples: Lover Mine by J.R. Ward - *** - 9/5/2013

Specials:
7. Yellow:
"I didn't see the forensics van yet, and only now were officers putting up yellow tape around the property." Loc 1487
Fool Moon by Jim Butcher - **** - 9/3/2013
8. Work: "Most work on magic energies or creatures of the Nevernever, but mortal creatures can cross the circles and break them." Loc 114
9. Baby: "I'm not a baby." Loc 136
10. Fly/flew/flown: "The energy she had been gathering fractured and flew apart as though it had never been." Loc 2899
11. Love: "Now it seemed that my love life, or what passed for it, was in danger as well." Loc 999
12. Football: "Keri the Seductress seemed to deflate a little-as if her no doubt one hundred percent success rate with college football players had led her to assumed he would pant all over the real estate she was showing him." Loc 8
Lover Mine by J.R. Ward - *** - 9/5/2013

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1) by Tessa Dare Heaven and Earth (Three Sisters Island, #2) by Nora Roberts Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan

message 14: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 2084 comments good job Suzanne!

message 15: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 706 comments Completed 04.09.13 ;)

message 16: by Missyb (last edited Sep 29, 2013 04:25PM) (new)

Missyb | 127 comments 1. Book Title: Never Deal With Dragons
2. Author: Chloe Neill (Biting Bad)
3. Main Character:
4. Secondary Character: Neil (Fight To Remember) (1 pt)
5. Place: North Lincolnshire (p.67, Fight To Remember) (1 pt)
6. Cover: nearly naked people (misfits)

7. Yellow: But paired with short nails painted yellow and a bright pair of yellow converse sneakers - both of which matched the yellow in the Grey House jersey, she pulled it off. (1 pt, Biting Bad, P.132)
8. Work: The bouncer beside the rope that barred her entry into the club looked down at her from his near seven feet of height "No trouble" (p.5, Katt Amongst The Wolves) (2 pts)
9. Baby: "Not met me yet" said another gorgeous female with a huge belly (p.227, Fight To Remember) (1 pt)
10. Fly/flew/flown: Piper wondered how many more hours she'd need to log before she could fly solo (p.66, Fight To Remember) (1 pt)
11. Love: Dominic had sworn never to fall in love, never to use that word, his punishment for betraying his brother (The Misfits, p. 277) (2 pts)
12. Football:
Fight to Remember (Trueblood #5) by Barbara Elsborg The Misfits (Trueblood #4) by Barbara Elsborg Katt Amongst The Wolves by Kelsey Blue Biting Bad (Chicagoland Vampires, #8) by Chloe Neill Never Deal with Dragons (DRACIM, #1) by Lorenda Christensen

message 17: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 127 comments Jade aka MrsTosh wrote: "Completed 04.09.13 ;)"

Wow, I really feel like I was sleeping at the wheel with you being finished already.

message 18: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 706 comments Missyb wrote: "Jade aka MrsTosh wrote: "Completed 04.09.13 ;)"

Wow, I really feel like I was sleeping at the wheel with you being finished already."

Just got lucky with my books this month Missyb, didn't finish last time was one work out ;(

message 19: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 127 comments Jade aka MrsTosh wrote: "Missyb wrote: "Jade aka MrsTosh wrote: "Completed 04.09.13 ;)"

Wow, I really feel like I was sleeping at the wheel with you being finished already."

Just got lucky with my books this month Missyb..."

Me too. I couldn't get anything for camping.

message 20: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) if i cna't get a 3 for a sentence, it is worth nothing to me, takes allmonth sometimes. Early this month i had all ones

message 21: by Jessie Marie (last edited Sep 23, 2013 04:02PM) (new)

Jessie Marie (jessiemreads) September Scattergories
Duration: September 1 - September 30

General
Book Title:
Author: Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris (9/23/13) 4.5 stars | 1 point
Main Character:
Secondary Character:
Place:
Cover:

September Specials
Yellow "'It's a chemical compound that can be produced as a bright yellow liquid or a powder.'" (Loc. 4918)
Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris (9/23/13) 4.5 stars | 2 points

Work "Even less shocking is the collection of file boxes that he has to move to squeeze both Jared and my wheelchair into the backseat - no doubt because he's going to work later into the night." (Loc. 485)
Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris (9/23/13) 4.5 stars | 4 point

Baby "And every night, as he laid Jared down to sleep in his crib, we would go into my bedroom with the baby monitor and he would read to me." (Loc. 2805)
Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris (9/23/13) 4.5 stars | 3 point

Fly/flew/flown "Pictures fall of the walls, sparks fly from Poblete's computer, the lights go out, the windows break, glass rains down on the tabletops, and someone screams." (Loc. 3819)
Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris (9/23/13) 4.5 stars | 2 point

Love "Love blossoms in my chest - not just my love for her, but also her love for me - and the warm peace of the feeling wraps around me like a thick blanket." (Loc. 254)
Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris (9/23/13) 4.5 stars | 5 point

Football "'Nick wants to play football at USC next year,' I add, because something needs to be said." (Loc. 580)
Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris (9/23/13) 4.5 stars | 5 point

message 22: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Duration: 9/1/13 - 9/30/13

Letter N Total Points: 7

Items:
General
1. Book Title:No Longer a Gentleman9/21/13 **** stars 1 POINT
2. Author:(Nalini Singh)Archangel's Storm
3. Main Character:(Nicola Marter)The Firebird
4. Secondary Character:
5. Place:(North Carolina)Deadly Sting9/3/13 **** stars1 POINT
6. Cover: (Naked)Hard Evidence9/21/13 ***** stars 1 POINT
No Longer a Gentleman (Lost Lords, #4) by Mary Jo Putney Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter, #5) by Nalini Singh Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8) by Jennifer Estep Hard Evidence (I-Team, #2) by Pamela Clare

7. Yellow "A small yellow note was stuck ..." p. 330Heart of Venom9/26/13 ***** stars 1 POINT
8. Work" ... I need to get some work done." p.75Rock Chick Revenge9/7/13 **** stars1 POINT
9. Baby"The baby boy looked normal ..." p. 310Living Nightmare9/14/13 **** stars 1 POINT
10. Fly/flew/flown "Always wanted to be on some kind of no fly list ..." p.179 Unbroken9/23/13 ***** stars 1 POINT
11. Love
12. Football
Rock Chick Revenge (Rock Chick, #5) by Kristen Ashley Living Nightmare (Sentinel Wars, #4) by Shannon K. Butcher Unbroken (Outcast Season, #4) by Rachel Caine Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9) by Jennifer Estep

message 23: by Turtlefrog (last edited Sep 28, 2013 10:59PM) (new)

Turtlefrog September Scattergories
Total points : 16

Items:
General
1. Book Title:
2. Author: Natalie Anderson ~ Bargain in Bronze / 1 point
3. Main Character:
4. Secondary Character: Nan Mason from My Life Next Door / 2 points
5. Place:
6. Cover: Nose ~ Bargain in Bronze / 1 point

September Specials

7. Yellow - A small yet stunning yellow bird perched on her windowsill, startling Karis out of her misery. Ageless Sea (pg.12)/ 1 point
8. Work - If Brady didn't notice her as a woman in this, then nothing would work. Ageless Sea (pg.83) / 3 points
9. Baby - I am almost seven months pregnant, I could have a baby any day now, and you- Dark Places (pg.311) / 2 points
10. Fly/flew/flown - All boys pretend they can fly or have super speed, but now I have it. Ageless Sea (pg.137) / 2 points
11. Love - Living with the fact that I'd never love, never have a family, or my friends. Ageless Sea (pg.55) / 3 points
12. Football - Oh, uh, football season. I'm cornerback this year. My Life Next Door (pg. 39) / 1 point

Bargain in Bronze (Flirting To Win, #1) by Natalie Anderson 9/5 Ageless Sea (Ageless Series #1) by M.R. Polish 9/4 Dark Places by Gillian Flynn 9/22 My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick 9/28

message 24: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Jessie Marie (Jessie Marie Reads) wrote: "September Scattergories

General

Book Title:
Author: Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris (9/23/13) 4.5 stars | 1 point
Main Character:
Secondary Charac..."

I'm not sure your point totals are right. It is 1 point per N-word and the N-word needs to be related to your category.

message 25: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 127 comments Did I miss it, or is October not out yet?

message 26: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Missyb wrote: "Did I miss it, or is October not out yet?"

Just posted it.

message 27: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 127 comments Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "Missyb wrote: "Did I miss it, or is October not out yet?"

Just posted it."

Sweet, got it. Thanks.

message 28: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) General
1. Book Title: Bush, Nancy Nowhere to Hide
2. Author: Neggers Carla Declan's Cross
3. Main Character: Woods, Sherryl The Summer Garden gram Nell O'Brien
4. Sec' Character: Patterson, James Mistress Nina Jacobs
5. Place: Steel, Danielle Happy Birthday NYC
6. Cover: Steel, Danielle Affair necklace

need Yellow 2+; Baby 3+; Love 2+; fly 2+
7. Yellow
1 Stewart, Mariah Dead Wrong “You ever play? ... to stare at the girls running by, their sticks in the air, yelling to the teammate who cradled the bright yellow ball in the tiny net ...
8. Work
3 145 Patterson, James Mistress A man without a home, with nowhere (1) to go, hiding out in coffee shops and department stores, afraid to use his cellphone, afraid to use his credit cards, standing half a football field froma gigantic Tudor home in a sleepy resdidental neighborhood (2) in the northwest (3) quadrant where people dont' usually have problems like being afraid for their lives.
9. Baby
2 26 Neggers Carla Declan's Cross The lunch crowd such as it was on a Monday in November (1), was in now (2), mostly locals fisherman, carpenters, retirees and a group of young mothers with babies in tow.
10. Fly/flew/flown
1 295 Patterson, James Mistress Dropped everything and lfew out there on six months noitce to meet me.
11. Love
1 51 Neggers Carla Declan's Cross They'd taken long walks, laughed in pubs, made love on dark rain-soaked nights (1).
12. Football
3 145 Patterson, James Mistress A man without a home, with nowhere (1) to go, hiding out in coffee shops and department stores, afraid to use his cellphone, afraid to use his credit cards, standing half a football field froma gigantic Tudor home in a sleepy resdidental neighborhood (2) in the northwest (3) quadrant where people dont' usually have problems like being afraid for their lives.

17 points

message 29: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Not so great this month. Oh well.

Duration: 9/1/13 - 9/30/13

Letter N Total Points: 10

Items:
General
1. Book Title:No Longer a Gentleman9/21/13 **** stars 1 POINT
2. Author:(Nalini Singh)Archangel's Storm9/29/13 ***** stars1 POINT
3. Main Character:(Nicola Marter)The Firebird9/28/13 ****1/2 stars 1 POINT
4. Secondary Character:
5. Place:(North Carolina)Deadly Sting9/3/13 **** stars1 POINT
6. Cover: (Naked)Hard Evidence9/21/13 ***** stars 1 POINT
No Longer a Gentleman (Lost Lords, #4) by Mary Jo Putney Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter, #5) by Nalini Singh Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8) by Jennifer Estep Hard Evidence (I-Team, #2) by Pamela Clare The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley

7. Yellow "A small yellow note was stuck ..." p. 330Heart of Venom9/26/13 ***** stars 1 POINT
8. Work" ... I need to get some work done." p.75Rock Chick Revenge9/7/13 **** stars1 POINT
9. Baby"The baby boy looked normal ..." p. 310Living Nightmare9/14/13 **** stars 1 POINT
10. Fly/flew/flown "Always wanted to be on some kind of no fly list ..." p.179 Unbroken9/23/13 ***** stars 1 POINT
11. Love"Jason had never loved anyone ..." p.29 Archangel's StormSEE ABOVE 1 POINT
12. Football
Rock Chick Revenge (Rock Chick, #5) by Kristen Ashley Living Nightmare (Sentinel Wars, #4) by Shannon K. Butcher Unbroken (Outcast Season, #4) by Rachel Caine Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9) by Jennifer Estep