The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.3. Kate S's Task: Happy Birthday American Authors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Sep 12, 2013 02:18PM) (new)

Sandy | 16413 comments Mod
25.3. Kate S's Task: Happy Birthday American Authors

Having participated in several SRC Challenges, I have become more familiar with many author’s birthdays. The Fall Season has several prolific American Author birthdays and I would like to honor them with this task. Choose two different authors and read for their birthdays. NOTE: You must select two different options.

1. September 21 The King of Horror, Stephen King’s Birthday. Read a book off this list: Best Horror Novels
REQUIRED: Include in your post the number of the book on the list.

2. September 25 William Faulkner, one of only three authors to have won two Pulitzer Prizes for Fiction. Read any Pulitzer Prize Winner, in any category. Pulitzer Winners and Finalist While the Pulitzer site lists finalists as well as winners, only the winners may be used for this task and your book must be the actual book that won the Pulitzer, not another book by the author.

3. October 8 Frank Herbert of Dune Fame. Read a book with the genre Speculative Fiction on its main page.

4. October 27 Sylvia Plath, famous American poet. Read a collection of poetry, this can be a collection by a single author or a collaboration by several authors. General SRC rules allow more than one poetry book to be used to reach the required 100 page minimum.

5. November 11 Kurt Vonnegut, Jr was known for his unusual works, read one of the top 100 books off this list: Best Experimental Books Ever
REQUIRED: Include in your post the number of the book on the list.

6. November 29, Louisa May Alcott of Little Women fame, read a book first published during her lifetime (1832-1888)

REQUIRED: State the options you chose in your post.

message 2: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Reserved

message 3: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Reserved

message 4: by Sandy (new)

This thread is now open.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Cute task :D

For 4, "collection of poetry"...will novels-in-verse work?

message 6: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Ms Anderson wrote: "Cute task :D

For 4, "collection of poetry"...will novels-in-verse work?"

Thank you, Ms. Anderson.

No, I am going for straight poetry, not novels-in-verse for this task.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Kate S wrote: "Ms Anderson wrote: "Cute task :D

For 4, "collection of poetry"...will novels-in-verse work?"

Thank you, Ms. Anderson.

No, I am going for straight poetry, not novels-in-verse for this task."

I thought they wouldn't, but I figured I'd ask just in case :D

message 8: by Kate S (new)

Kate S It is always good to get those questions out of the way early. Thanks for asking. ;)

message 9: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3016 comments Many of Stephen King's books are on the Best Horror Novels list :)

message 10: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4159 comments Option 2: Beloved - winner 1988

Option 5: One Hundred Years of Solitude - #26 on list

message 11: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Many of Stephen King's books are on the Best Horror Novels list :)"

There are a lot of his books there. It would be a fine place to slot one of his books in for the Halloween season. :)

message 12: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Bea wrote: "Option 2: Beloved - winner 1988

Option 5: One Hundred Years of Solitude - #26 on list"

Great choices, Bea. I hope you enjoy them.

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela | 515 comments Option 4: Kindred by Octavia E. Butler 45 users of speculative fiction

Options 5: Angels Cried by Stephen L. Wilson The proceeds go to the Sandy Hook School Support Fund.

message 14: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Angela wrote: "Option 4: Kindred by Octavia E. Butler 45 users of speculative fiction

Options 5: Angels Cried by Stephen L. Wilson The proceeds go to the Sandy Hook School Support Fund."

I am pretty sure you mean options 3 and 4 (instead of 4 and 5) and if that is the case, both look good. (Note: Angels Cried is cataloged as 'poetry' on Amazon.com.) Enjoy.

message 15: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3016 comments Kindred looked good. I looked at that book for another task.

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela | 515 comments @Kate-yes I did mean 3 and 4. Whoops! Thanks for approving them.
@Jayme- I have had Kindred on my tbr for while and I am looking forward to reading it.

message 17: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3016 comments The summary sounded interesting

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "The summary sounded interesting"

It's really good. We read it a couple years ago in the book group I go to at the library, and I think everyone in the group liked it a lot.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Option 1: The Silence of the Lambs #11
Option 3: A Scanner Darkly

these ok?

message 20: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Delmy =^.^= wrote: "Option 1: The Silence of the Lambs #11
Option 3: A Scanner Darkly

these ok?"

Both look good, Delmy. Enjoy!

message 21: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments can Shel Silverstein books be used for this task. They are between 100-200 pages of poetry.... Falling Up

message 22: by Kate S (new)

Kate S JennRenee wrote: "can Shel Silverstein books be used for this task. They are between 100-200 pages of poetry.... Falling Up"

The children's rule still applies. If the genre 'children' appears on the main page, the book must be over 300 pages for 20, 25, 30, and 50-point tasks. So, sorry, but Falling Up will not work.

message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 981 comments Could I please get approval for
Replay by Ken Grimwood
for Option 3. Speculative Fiction is currently listed at the bottom of the list of genres on the main page.

message 24: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Chris wrote: "Could I please get approval for
Replay by Ken Grimwood
for Option 3. Speculative Fiction is currently listed at the bottom of the list of genres on the main page."

Approved.

message 25: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Can I get this one approved for option 3, just in case it falls off the main page? Thanks
Celebromancy (Ree Reyes #2) by Michael R. Underwood

message 26: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Valorie wrote: "Can I get this one approved for option 3, just in case it falls off the main page? Thanks
Celebromancy (Ree Reyes #2) by Michael R. Underwood"

Approved.

message 27: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2253 comments Do I understand this right that as long as the two books are by two different authors they can be from the same option? I don't see where it says 2 different options, just 2 different authors. Am I reading this right Kate?

message 28: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4159 comments Sheila wrote: "Do I understand this right that as long as the two books are by two different authors they can be from the same option? I don't see where it says 2 different options, just 2 different authors. Am..."

Sheila, I thought the task was to choose two different authors whose birthdays were listed (i.e., two different options). What about it, Kate?

message 29: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2253 comments You are probably right Bea. I just read it differently and was hoping to do two horror books.

message 30: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Sorry, Sheila, but Bea is right. Two different author birthdays=two different options. There are a few duplicates on the experimental list and the horror list. Hope you can find something you enjoy.

message 31: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2253 comments Thanks Kate. I just read the task wrong I guess. Hey a girl can always hope, right?

message 32: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Sheila wrote: "Thanks Kate. I just read the task wrong I guess. Hey a girl can always hope, right?"

I can see how it could be read the way you did. And yes, hoping is a good thing in many ways. :)

message 33: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2253 comments Anyway I already have my books picked out.

Option 1: Stephen King - Phantoms by Dean Koontz # 67
Option 5. Kurt Vonnegut - Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad # 24

message 34: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Fantastic. Enjoy them, Sheila

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1237 comments I have read Kindred by Octavia E. Butler and it is a very good book :)

message 36: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1183 comments For Option 2, I would like to clarify whether we should read the actual book that won the prize or any book of a winner author is acceptable.

message 38: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Elizabeth wrote: "For Option 2, I would like to clarify whether we should read the actual book that won the prize or any book of a winner author is acceptable."

The actual book which won the award.

message 39: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Claire wrote: "Option 1: The Shining by Stephen King

Option 2: The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson"

Look good, Claire. Enjoy.

message 40: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments For this can we read The Bell Jar? it's listed as poetry by 208 people...

message 41: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl) wrote: "For this can we read The Bell Jar? it's listed as poetry by 208 people..."

Sorry, no this is a novel by the poet not a collection of poetry. Hope you find a place for it.

message 42: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Are the books we read supposed to be by American authors? Or just the tasks based on said authors.

message 43: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Donna Jo wrote: "Are the books we read supposed to be by American authors? Or just the tasks based on said authors."

There is no requirement about where the author was born. As long as the book fits the task, the author could have been born anywhere in the world.

message 44: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments can I get Homeland approved for speculative fiction. its on the bottom on the main page. thanks

message 45: by Kate S (new)

Kate S JennRenee wrote: "can I get Homeland approved for speculative fiction. its on the bottom on the main page. thanks"

Good to go! Enjoy, JennRenee.

message 46: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Kate S wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "Are the books we read supposed to be by American authors? Or just the tasks based on said authors."

There is no requirement about where the author was born. As long as the book ..."

Thanks. I'm good to go.

message 47: by Angela (new)

Angela | 515 comments I originally chose Angels Cried for the poetry option, but upon reading it, it actually an anthology-mixture of short-stories/poems. Even though it was approved, I wanted to be honest that it is not strictly poetry, so I will just be using this book for another task.

message 48: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Angela wrote: "I originally chose Angels Cried for the poetry option, but upon reading it, it actually an anthology-mixture of short-stories/poems. Even though it was approved, I wanted to be honest that it is no..."

Thanks for being honest about it. It sounds like an interesting book anyhow and a good book for people to be aware exists.

message 49: by Angela (new)

Angela | 515 comments It was an interesting/ heartfelt book and I am glad I have other options for poetry that I am considering :)

message 50: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 563 comments For Option 2 - the Pulitzer Prizes also include multiple journalism categories. Can we read books written by the authors/reporters instead of the articles - since you specified ANY prize winner, but ONLY prize books, which doesn't really apply to journalism categories.

I guess I'm asking for approval for Gene Weingarten, one of my favorite Washington Post feature writers (and multiple winner of the Pulitzer). Thanks!

« previous 1