Short & Sweet Treats discussion

Archives > November 2013 Nominations ~ Historical Fiction

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Sep 07, 2013 02:33PM) (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
Happy November, groupies!

Our November genre is going to be Historical Fiction!

The books that will make the poll are nominated by us in this thread.

Select a book from our Historical Fiction Bookshelf and place your nomination here.

Some classics fall into the historical fiction category, so even if you pick one from this genre that is a Classic, you may still select a different book for the classics category too.

Depending on how many books are nominated, we may have to narrow it down to only putting books in the poll that have 2 or more nominations here.

We are doing this early so everyone can get a head start since the holidays will are approaching (another good reason to read Short & Sweet Books) and to have time to request the book from your library if necessary.

If you don't see a book on there that you may like to see, you can make a suggestion in our
Book Suggestions to Add to Our Menu thread.

Nominations end September 15th at which point the poll goes up.

Let the nominations begin...

message 3: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Nancy wrote: "I nominate Summer of My German Soldier"

Thank you, Nancy! This is looking good so far :)

message 4: by Lauri (new)

Lauri I nominate Property.

message 6: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

thanks, ladies!

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Julie wrote: "Things Fall Apart"

I second this nomination!

message 9: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

By the way, I just added Frost/Nixon to our historical and play bookshelf.

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie  Anne wrote: "Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale HurstonTheir Eyes Were Watching God"

I love that book, Anne! I just listened to the audio book this year and it was an excellent production with the various dialects.

message 12: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Anne wrote: "Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale HurstonTheir Eyes Were Watching God"

Julie wrote: "Anne wrote: "Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale HurstonTheir Eyes Were Watching God"

I love that book, Anne! I just listened to the audio book this year and it was an excellent production wit..."

When I see this book title, I always think "Their Eyes Were Watching Cod" Sounds yummy

message 14: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Sep 07, 2013 02:19PM) (new)

Samantha wrote: "A Curse Dark As Gold by Elizabeth C. BunceA Curse Dark As Gold"

Hey Sammy. My fault. I sent you the link from another thread to select a nomination without explaining how it goes.

November is Historical Fiction month and we are selecting books from our Historical Fiction Bookshelf.

Your selection though looks like it would be a great buddy read. If anyone wants to join, let us know and we can set up a thread!

Thank you for your suggestion, Sammy, and keep thinking!

message 15: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Arnold (nahteeraisamanthaarnold) LaLaLa Laura wrote: "Samantha wrote: "A Curse Dark As Gold by Elizabeth C. BunceA Curse Dark As Gold"

Hey Sammy. My fault. I sent you the link from another thread to select a nomination without explaining how it goes...."

Oh. Ok. Sorry. :P

message 16: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

no worries :)

message 17: by Diana S (last edited Sep 09, 2013 11:51AM) (new)

Diana S I nominate:
Breath, Eyes, Memory  by Edwidge Danticat Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat

message 18: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Polls are up. Vote Here
Polls

Don't forget we have 2 different polls going on!

message 19: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Just voted. Will be curious to see the outcome and which books we will be reading.

message 20: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I like the selections for Historical Fiction and have to think about what I wanna read

message 21: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

so far Things Fall Apart is winning by one vote, but we have time...

message 22: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresatheterrible) | 44 comments I nominate either Things Fall Apart or Their Eyes Were Watching God. I haven't read nearly enough African works...

message 23: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

go Summer of My German Soldier! another "Nancy Recommendation!"

message 24: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Their Eyes Were Watching God wins! Looks interesting

message 25: by Julie (new)

Julie  Their Eyes Were Watching God wasn't my choice, but only because I already read it this year. I loved it. If you like audio books, I highly recommend listening to this one because it is written with excellent attention to dialects. Sometimes it is easier to hear it than read it.

message 26: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

that's good to know Julie. thank you for that! that's another reason audio books can be better.

message 27: by Danaë (new)

Danaë | 125 comments Thanks for the tip Julie. :) I read this in high school, but I don't remember it very well. I think I'll listen this time around.