Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's August Books 2013

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Sep 01, 2013 04:24PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Wow, for me nine books in one month is a bit more than I usually expect. Partly summer reading, partly the luck of how some books started in previous months ended up here and some were a bit shorter than others, but no less powerful. I also piggybacked Kindle and audio books which speeds up the process, and so even with less traffic on the commute in the summer (sadly no more) I clocked quite a bit of audio reading. I also grabbed up print library books in greater number than usual, the month was spent with a book in hand almost the entire time!
Under the Dome
Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway
A Corpse's Nightmare
Games to Keep the Dark Away
The Hunting Wind
The 9th Girl
Widow's Tears
Turn Coat
Saturn's Return to New York

King, Stephen Under the Dome started in Dec-20019 and finished on 8/25/2013 (yes, the TV series inspired me to pick it back up at 80% read and finally finish it!) Kindle rank 9 of 10 What would happen if a small town in anywhere USA was suddenly cut off completely from the rest of the world, if the greed and short-sighted actions or lack thereof finally caught up to those who were greedy or short-sighted? Well it seems we can find out in a closed environment where the innocent and the guilty, the evil and the good, the small and the tall, all get caught up in the after effects of such confinement. 

Gran, Sara Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway finished 8/7/2013 Library print rank 9 of 10 My first Sara Gran book of the month - in the series - Claire DeWitt is a detective and a deeply troubled soul who has taken on the pain and suffering of the victims of each of her cases and shoulders the burden of the evil intent and of the accidental harm caused by others to the point she can barely function amidst the losses of so many that she loved or could have loved.

DePoy, Phillip A Corpse's Nightmare finished 8/15/2013 Library print rank 9 of 10 Haunting in some ways, the feeling that the lines between dreams and reality were blurred for our protagonist, Fever, gave this installment a different feel and an interesting way to flashback into the past. Social commentary on the melting pot of human ancestry and hatred adds a dimension to his recent and our not so recent past.

Muller, Marcia Games to Keep the Dark Away written in the mid-eighties when I was first reading this series, read in 2013 and finished 8/17/2013 Kindle Library loan rank 9 of 10 I am glad to be finding this series back list on Kindle for library loans. Sharon shows us her view of San Francisco as a single working woman in the 80's and of the California coastline and lifestyle driving to remote fishing villages amid the economic changes brought on by commercial fishing and the age old problems caused by greed that lead to murder.

Hamilton, Steve The Hunting Wind Another series I am catching up on finally, finished 8/17/2013 Library print rank 8.75 Glimpses into Alex's baseball days and how he is compelled to help others while resisting the role of a private detective. I am catching up with Alex McKnight; this isn't my favorite of the series, not bad, but not great. I had a hard time rooting for anybody in this one though I learned more about Alex. 

Hoag, Tami The 9th Girl finished 8/19/2013 on Audio rank 9 of 10 It has been so long since I read a book in this series it really felt more like a stand-alone. It was a nail biter with some horrific violence perpetrated against women by an assumed serial killer and a well crafted police procedural seeking to identify the 9th victim.

Albert, Susan Wittig Widow's Tears finished on 8/24/2013 (I couldn't put it down) Library print rank 9.5 of 10 I have always liked Ruby, she is China's friend and she has a spark and a zest for life along with perceptive powers to see beyond the ordinary. Widow's Tears is partly Ruby's story, but the real story is the devastating hurricane that devastated Galveston Texas on September 8, 1900. Told in flashbacks, that part of the story drew me in deeply. 

Butcher, Jim Turn Coat finished 8/26/2013 started on Kindle and finished on Audio (love James Marsters) rank 9 of 10 Catching up with Harry Dresden, our favorite wizard; while looking out for Chicago and his friends and partners faces all kinds of monsters in the course of his daily life. Harry's moral compass keeps him on the path to defeat the monsters and to defend the weak, and who could possibly think faster on his feet, but when there is no clear path and the monsters threaten those he holds most dear, what path will he take, what price will he pay?

Gran, Sara Saturn's Return to New York finished late last night but I'll list it as finished 8/31/2013 Library print Rank 9.75 of 10 This is a little sleeper of a book. I have been gobbling up as many of hers as I can fit in.
Sara Gran's books are as different as they can be, based on the ones I have read, so if you use one of her books as a guidepost to read or not read another, consider that each is rather unique. I like unique. Saturn's Return to New York is likely to evoke an emotional response whether you are twenty-nine or fifty-eight or somewhere on the sides of either age. There are many things for me to like about the book, I enjoy books set in New York City with the person on the street flavor of a native resident. A view into the many stages of relationships with family and friends and co-workers and people who our protagonist meets are a big part of the allure for me too. 

message 2: by Melodie (last edited Aug 31, 2013 11:58AM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments So glad you loved WIDOW'S TEARS as much as I did, Ann. While Ruby is one of my favorite characters in the China Bayles series, and I liked seeing her more in the forefront, it was the story about the hurricane that grabbed me. Had me reaching for the Kleenex which doesn't happen a lot with books, so makes it all the more powerful when they do. TURN COAT is one of my favorite Dresden tales, too.

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Nice month, Ann, mixing in some older books and finishing up a loose end.

message 4: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1380 comments I liked Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highwaya good deal less than you did. I couldn't help comparing it to the previous Claire DeWitt novel and finding it lacking in a number of ways.

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1215 comments Like you, I am so happy that various author's backlists are now easily available on Kindle or other e-book platforms. I have been meaning to get back into the Sharon McCone series since I have not read one since 2001.

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments Sharon McCone is a good series, and will keep you busy for quite a while.

message 7: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Sorry, but do you all mean Sharon McCrumb? I can't find a Sharon McCone :(

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Sharon McCone is Marcia Muller's series, Liz!

message 9: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments LizH wrote: "Sorry, but do you all mean Sharon McCrumb? I can't find a Sharon McCone :("

Sharon McCrumb is good, too!

message 10: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Melodie and Ann, thanks, will have to check them both out!

message 11: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments Lot's of great books Ann! I'm watching Under the Dome, but haven't read the book. The Hunting Wind is up next for me in Hamilton's series. Hope I can get to it some day!