All Passion Spent
This topic is about All Passion Spent
Group Reads Archive > September 2013 - All Passion Spent by Vita Sackville-West

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) | 1653 comments Mod
Welcome to September's group read of...

All Passion Spent by Vita Sackville-West All Passion Spent by Vita Sackville-West

Enjoy!

Bronwyn (nzfriend) | 651 comments Can we assume some spoilers?

I just loved this book. I'm so glad I read it, and I wish I'd read it sooner, though I don't know that I would have really appreciated it if I'd read it too much younger. My mom's been recommending this to me for years - which is why I suggested it - and I can definitely see why.

For a book with so much death and wrapping up of things, it's so full of life and hope and beginnings in a lot of ways. Lady Slane's reminiscences were beautiful and remembering FitzGeorge was amazing to watch.

Watching Lady Slane's children discussing her and not understanding her was just amazing and I feel like things are probably like that with most people and it really makes me want to try to understand my grandmother and parents better.

The bit at the end with Deborah, the great-granddaughter, was wonderful and watching Lady Slane not know if it was the great-granddaughter or her younger self was beautiful but heartbreaking.

Vita Sackville-West really writes beautifully and her descriptions of things are amazing. There's just so much life and understanding in this book. I loved it so much.

message 3: by Nigeyb (last edited Sep 06, 2013 10:00AM) (new)

Nigeyb I read this book about twenty years ago. I was hoping to reread it. Alas I have a couple of other books that I must read first. I suspect this means that I will have to rely on my hazy recollections of that first read.

I read it for a book group that I used to attend in London. I recall that I enjoyed it, though not quite as much as most of the other participants. One person hated it, however he was a contrary fellow who hated much of what we read.

I have re-familiarised myself with the plot, thanks to Wikipedia, and recall how I enjoyed Lady Slane breaking with the expectations of her children, after a dutiful life, and so pursuing her own agenda.

The book's themes still resonate, specifically how society can constrict people by placing us in boxes, and how we might retain freedom despite these strictures.

message 4: by Amy (last edited Sep 23, 2013 10:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 38 comments I too loved reading this book and will be returning to it as it get a few more years behind me. It was reassuring to know that others feel as though they have perhaps suppressed some dreams in order to live out another. And the redemption that you may be able to go back to those dreams later, or in any case you can always be a scamp and do things purely for the pleasure of annoying your children. Something to look forward to :D

message 5: by Ivan (last edited Aug 25, 2017 01:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ivan | 561 comments This book is a gem. The prose is arresting. I'm coming out of my room saying: "sister, listen to this" and then reading a sentence or paragraph. Such talent to communicate thoughts and emotions is rare. I'm so disappointed to stop here and find only three posts for a book that deserves to be celebrated every bit as much as A Room with a View or The Enchanted April or Gilead - which aspects of this book recall. The characters are crisply drawn and memorable - especially Mr. Bucktrout and Mr. FitzGeorge. I've highlighted several passages and will no doubt re-read this entire volume in time.

message 6: by Roisin (new) - added it

Roisin | 729 comments Glad you liked it!

I have a copy waiting to be read and look forward to reading this.

message 7: by Jan C (new) - added it

Jan C (woeisme) | 1525 comments Not sure how I missed this one. I'll have to look for a copy.

message 8: by Jan C (new) - added it

Jan C (woeisme) | 1525 comments My book came today. Hope to get to it shortly.