Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Titles of Combined Editions

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Paul Kishimoto (khaeru) | 1 comments Hi - posting this here because I couldn't find it written anywhere. Maybe there should be a librarians' manual... (or maybe I've missed it!)

If you combine two editions of a book, then the binding is automatically added in parenthesis whenever that book appears in a search.

For example, I combined "The Gilded Chain: A Tale of the King's Blades (Hardcover)" and "The Gilded Chain: A Tale of the King's Blades", both by Dave Duncan. The latter had "Mass Market Paperback" as the binding. I removed the trailing " (Hardcover)" from the title of the first book, but Goodreads automagically displays the bindings for both if you search for "Gilded Chain".

In short: don't add binding information in the title field for combined editions with multiple bindings. It'll show up anyways.

message 2: by Elizabeth, Chief Wordsmith (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Elizabeth | 13 comments Mod
On a side note, I really like this idea of a Libraian Manual. What do you all think? O-should we make it?

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

rivka | 32979 comments Mod
Sounds useful to me. :)

message 4: by Nicolás (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren (reosarevok) I guess it can do no harm, can it?
So why not? It would help librarians, so I guess it's a good thing...

message 5: by Otis, Chief Architect (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
Great idea!

Here is version one of the Librarian manual: [http://www.goodreads.com/about/librar...]

Let us know if there is anything else you would like to see covered in it!