South Asian Literature discussion

Invisible Lives
This topic is about Invisible Lives
Book Reviews > Invisible Lives by Anjali Bannerjee

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renuka (last edited Aug 31, 2013 09:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Renuka | 18 comments I don't normally read chick lit but I loved this book. It's a light read and predictable as far as the story goes but is written with compassion and understanding, which is what made it compelling for me.

Normally I can't get past the first third of any book but the warmth of the main character, Lakshmi, and those around her pulled me along. Lakshmi's sixth sense and the way she used it was the extra dimension to the story that made it different for me, particularly using saris as catalysts to change characters.

My only criticism is that everybody's reaction to uncovering the secret of the ring wasn't convincing but in the bigger scheme of things, it's not really a big deal.

Overall, a heart-warming read and absolutely loved it.

Susan Oleksiw | 26 comments I found this book on my shelves and pulled it out to read after reading Renuka's review. I agree wholeheartedly with her comments. The book is frothy, but good froth. The use of the "knowing" to distinguish Lakshmi was clever, and the author's depiction of the conflict between American values and practices and Indian traditions was well drawn. A quick read for fun.

message 3: by Renuka (last edited Sep 12, 2013 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Renuka | 18 comments Susan wrote: "I found this book on my shelves..."

Hello Susan,
I saw your post under Romance but wasn't sure if I should reply there or here and am glad you posted here so all the reviews are under one thread. I'm keen to start another group read if you're interested. I did the last poll but nobody seemed to like my suggestions so why don't you start one with a few books for starters?

message 4: by Susan (last edited Sep 13, 2013 05:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan Oleksiw | 26 comments I don't know how to start a poll, but I'm glad to make some suggestions here. (I can also explore the site and probably figure out the poll business.)

I have a good number of books by Indian writers and some westerners about India, and I just pulled out two that are on my list to read. The first one is a series of three linked tales, and the second one is a collection of short stories. I'd be glad to read either of these with the group, or another book.

If You Are Afraid of Heights by Raj Kamal Jha

Under the Banyan Tree and Other Stories by R. K. Narayan

Renuka | 18 comments I've started a poll, Susan. (It's on the top right hand side of the screen).

Renuka | 18 comments Susan wrote: "I'm glad to make some suggestions here."

Hi Susan, Under the Banyan had the most votes, so if you're happy with that, considering I messed up the poll, how do you feel about that for the next Group Read?

Susan Oleksiw | 26 comments That's fine with me. I have my copy in hand.

Santhi | 6 comments I started 'Under the Banyan' sometime ago while following up on books on Cambodia - tho its much less violent than other historical fiction I have read recently, I still couldnt bear the suffering. Will surely read it in near future.

I am a book away from Invisible Lives :))

Santhi | 6 comments My bad- I had mistaken the suggested title for another book! (where's my earlier comment anyway?? )

Oh, this RKN's book Is a GEM! My boys loved it as bedtime stories..... would love to revisit it again tho i read it recently.

Santhi | 6 comments just completed the first 10 (short) chapters - where Mitra receives the yellow dance costume and is urged to invite her father to the performance.

Enjoying this light and humorous read very much! Lovely contrast yet with similar background as 'Secret Daughter' which preceded this book