City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion

Movie paradox

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Salma (last edited Aug 31, 2013 08:53AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Salma To start with the movie didn't start in the club, instead the scenes are reversed. Let's just say that the entire movie had scenes based on something else.
Simon didn't turn into a rat. Jace was more serious than sarcastic.Alec looks too old. Jace didn't know that Clary is a shadowhunter the way that it was in the book. How did Valentine summon demons in the Institute and not in Renwicks? And how on earth does the mortal cup end up with Clary and npt Valentine?
I know they say the book is always better but this isn't even based on the book anymore..

Wafaa Laalaoui comment

message 3: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] Wafaa wrote: "comment"

Are you new here?

Whitney Salma wrote: "To start with the movie didn't start in the club, instead the scenes are reversed. Let's just say that the entire movie had scenes based on something else.
Simon didn't turn into a rat. Jace was mo..."

I understand exactly what you are saying. I don't understand how he summoned demons inside the hallowed ground of the institute either. And I have no idea why he was trying to make Clary drink from the mortal cup, because she's already a shadowhunter so what is the point? The movie was rushed and there wasn't very much time for character development. They should have split it into two movies so they could fit everything.

And I'm extremely disappointed that they cut out my favourite part with Jace, Clary and the flying motorcycle. I'm also wondering what they're going to do about Raphael because he plays a more significant role later in the story.

anilee Whitney, Valentine probably wanted Clary to drink because (view spoiler) (City of Glass, 451).

Vanessa That does make sense. But why wouldn't he have had anyone else drink it? Hodge or Jace? They also didn't have a portal in the institute.

message 7: by Arden (new) - added it

Arden just think though- did they follow the plot?? so what if simon didn't turn into a rat or they screwed up jaces character? sure it sucks, I know I do agree but when you compare the movie plot -the conflicts and how they were solved- it is pretty friggin similar to how the movie set it up. of you look on the producers side of things- making another set just for the one scene seems a little pointless if you ask me.

I get your frustrations, i'm a fan of the book and the series to-I do care about it a lot-but try keep an open mind

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't really like how they portrayed Jace...the guy is not very Jace-ish.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

And at the end no-one finds out what happens to Alec.

April I personally thought that the movie was AMAZING!! The acting was amazing and I think that Jamie Campbell Bower played a PERFECT Jace and I also loved Lily Collins as Clary!! I thought their relationship was ADORABLE and that the movie was just fricken amazing!! There are going to be differences between the book and the movie, there always are. The only thing is that I haven't read the entire series or even the first book, but I still think that the movie was amazing!! It was an edge of your seat action adventure/ fantasy thriller. That's how I saw it and I really really enjoyed it, a lot!! It's one of my fav movies :)

message 11: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara I loved the movie but of course the book was way better. It annoyed me that they never showed if Alec survived or not and we never really got to see Magnus's cat eyes. Also the club scene was messed up, there was never a forsaken in Clary's apartment and Jace's character was messed up. I was also disappointed in the scene when Jace was playing the piano. But it was still a really great movie.

message 12: by Cristina (new)

Cristina Sara-Daughter of Poseidon wrote: "I loved the movie but of course the book was way better. It annoyed me that they never showed if Alec survived or not and we never really got to see Magnus's cat eyes..."

Actually we do get to see Magnus's cat eyes but only for a split second. I think it was right after the vampires take Simon and they leave the party in a hurry. I was so happy thinking "Yeah! They did include it".

SpookySoto For me the biggest problem was Valentine. They made him a scared, hippie and crazy guy, not the intelligent guy who does think he's doing the right thing (In his mind at least). Why does he wanted the cup? (They didn't explained it) why he wanted Clary to drink from it? I saw it with my brother who hasn't read the book, and when I explained how Valentine really is, he agree with me that they made it into a crazy flat villain.I think great villains are the ones who you can understand why the act the way they do, and make you question what would you do in their place; the book's Valentine does that, the movie's, didn't. I give the movie 5/10, wasn't terrible, but wasn't great either, plus I didn't like Jace at all. I think this can work out better as a CW series.

Makayla I didn't like Valentine in the movie either. In the book, to me he came off as polished and professional, with a purpose in mind that drove him to do terrible things. I think that made him scarier. In the movie, he just kind of came off as crazy to me.

I wasn't expecting to like Jemima as Izzy, but she surprised me. She was one of the characters i was happy with.

Jace could have been more sarcastic-it's what makes up a lot of his personality! Having him be so serious all the time made him come off and brooding, and to me, a tad bit boring.

Another thing I wished the movie had were all of the scenes like at Taki's, or when Izzy is cooking. I know the film tried to incorporate all of the vital scenes, but I wish they shortened or cut some of the longer scenes and added a scene where we could really get to know the characters. I felt like there was very little character development. I wished we got to see them interact with each other more often-besides when they are in battle together

Lastly, I still don't understand how the portal burst into snow? Or how Valentine was able to summon demons from INSIDE the Institute. Isn't it supposed to be demon-proof? I mean, isn't that the whole point?

Emma Think about the complexity of the book. It's around 400 pages, with a completely new concept. The movie had to not only explain the concept but also develop the plot and characters in just over two hours. It was a good movie, all in all. Very different from the book, and people can get mad about that, but there's really no point. They did a good job so that people who hadn't read the book could understand it.

message 16: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Mori I was thoroughly disappointed with all the changes they made because none of them made sense to me and steered so far away from the original story there was really no excuse for them. I honestly believe this could have been the next huge saga had they stuck to the original story, even if they had to make the film in two parts. The acting, costumes, sets, and CGI were all impeccable and met my expectations with the exception of Magnus and Valentine (but I think that was more a director's flaw than the actors themselves). All-in-all, I really wanted to love the film as much as I'm obsessed with the book, but it was just different in all the wrong places. I'll still purchase it once it's released just to support it, but still.

message 17: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Mori Gabrielle wrote: "Lex wrote: "I was thoroughly disappointed with all the changes they made because none of them made sense to me and steered so far away from the original story there was really no excuse for them. I..."

Have to agree about the stele and the cup. That was actually pretty disappointing, now that you remind me. But I thought the rest was a lot smoother. The silent brothers didn't look like how I'd envisioned though. And I wished there were a lot more sarcastic, hilarious moments. That made the book and the characters a bit more special.

Anaterka when I was watching a film, in every scene something was wrong, Jace wasn't witty(that was most dissapointing) and he didn't pretend not to care, they weren't in the storage, Clary and jace were supposed to be alone, nobody mentioned Agramon, vampires didn't took Simon to their home on purpose, the gate wasn't in the institute,Certainh somebody WAS wearing trousers etc....
But. When I was telling somebody how was the film, I realised that they showed everything that was important was showed, they just mixed details.

Sarah I enjoyed the film but I didn't like how so many part of the book were taken out and how parts from other books. Personally I think that the Mortal Instruments would make a good TV show. Like if they did a book per series. It would give the makers a lot more room to put in all the important details and more time to introduce the characters and let the audience know them. I realised that we didn't learn much about Alec or Izzy or even Simon which is a shame because there such interesting characters.

message 20: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Mori Gabrielle wrote: "Sorry! Don't be disappointed at least they tried!

Some part of me thinks it would have done really good as an animated film - not like Tangled and How to Train Your Drangon type - like the cartoon..."

I agree about Alec all the way. I wanted to see him like that around Jace, but there was no indication at all to go on! And it would make a stunning anime. I didn't think of the trickster, more of the headless monks but with heads with everything sewn shut.