The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sofia (Bookish Wanderess), Founder (new)

Sofia (Bookish Wanderess) (sofia-bookishwanderess) | 221 comments It's time to choose the books we are gonna read in October! So please leave your recommendations in this discussion :)

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4663 comments I really want to read Doctor Sleep. Anyone else up for a really creepy Stephen King book in October?? It is scheduled for release in Sept in the US.
Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King

Also, I have The Rosie Project on my TBR for October. I heard it's really good and funny. :)
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

message 3: by Bre (new)

Bre Dang | 20 comments how about Anna Dressed in Blood or Unwind!!

message 4: by Bian (new)

Bian | 53 comments Zoo City by Lauren Beukes maybe?

message 5: by Cora (new)

Cora (missteacher333) | 106 comments Dr. Sleep is my choice.

message 7: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments I'd suggest the following:
We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver or Songs of the Earth by Elspeth Cooper

and also, since we started the series:
City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare or A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin

message 8: by Karen (last edited Sep 01, 2013 05:49PM) (new)

Karen Wapinski Since it's October how about Skulduggery Pleasant which I haven't read yet but have only heard excellent things of, it's kind of like Harry Potter (that its for kids and adults at the same time)

For a more mature read; there;s The Child Thief by Brom with beautiful, haunting imagery and is kind of a dark re-imagining of Peter Pan with a Celtic myth twist.
And maybe The Diviners for a lighter touch a paranormal roaring twenties flapper story The Diviners

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments Bre wrote: "how about Anna Dressed in Blood or Unwind!!"

Unwind!

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Zemko | 28 comments The Bone Season

And maybe something classic?

Rebecca

I love the idea of reading one new and one old.

message 12: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) I read Rebecca this summer and really enjoyed it.

message 13: by Jessy (new)

Jessy (justjessyreading) | 9 comments I second Doctor Sleep and The Diviners.

message 14: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstymc) I second Daughter of Smoke & Bone and third Rebecca! Since I bought both recently.

message 15: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 395 comments I second Doctor Sleep

message 16: by Bre (new)

Bre Dang | 20 comments I think we should read the shinning before doctor sleep since it's the first book in the series!!

message 17: by Lauren (last edited Sep 04, 2013 12:57PM) (new)

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael (lovechild) | 280 comments Kristie wrote: "I really want to read Doctor Sleep. Anyone else up for a really creepy Stephen King book in October?? It is scheduled for release in Sept in the US.
Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King

Also, I have ..."

Since it is The Shining 2 is the first book required reading?
I am up for something scary for October so if it can be read as a stand alone sounds good.

For a second read
Tell the Wolves I'm Home Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt is book I have heard rave reviews about and it also just came out on paperback.

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4663 comments Michael wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I really want to read Doctor Sleep. Anyone else up for a really creepy Stephen King book in October?? It is scheduled for release in Sept in the US.
[bookcover:Doctor Sleep|16130549..."

I don't believe you have to read the Shining to read Doctor Sleep. I was under the impression that they could stand alone. In the Shining, there is a little boy. His father is the one that goes crazy in the hotel. Doctor Sleep is the story about the boy after he is grown up. So, he called it The Shining 2 because it's about the same character.

message 20: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (ferrychic) | 20 comments I would like to try Dr. Sleep, sounds good , summer is over and I am glad to get back to the book club.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Yes! Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King
already have it pre-ordered on Amazon

message 22: by Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition (last edited Sep 06, 2013 10:15AM) (new)

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Bre wrote: "I think we should read the shinning before doctor sleep since it's the first book in the series!!"

Good idea - I think I still have my old copy of it, I mean The Shining (The Shining, #1) by Stephen King somewhere...

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4663 comments Terry wrote: "Yes! Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King
already have it pre-ordered on Amazon"

Me too! I can't wait. :)

message 24: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (ferrychic) | 20 comments Have sleep doctor pre ordered,

message 25: by Allison (new)

message 26: by Brodie (new)

Brodie | 23 comments Anything spooky has my vote. Doctor Sleep seems to be the big one and I will grab your coat tails!

message 27: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4663 comments Hi everyone! Just a reminder that the voting for October's BOM ends in a couple days. If you haven't voted yet and would like to, please follow the attached link to vote!

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/90...

message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather (cagalli1543) I'd like to read The Treachery of Beautiful Things by Ruth Frances Long, A Temptation of Angels by Michelle Zink, or Between the Lines by Samantha Van Leer and Jodi Picoult.

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4663 comments Hi Heather - Voting for October has already started. Please feel free to nominate those for next month though. If you'd like to vote, please use the link in my previous comment.

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4663 comments Our winners for October are Daughter of Smoke & Bone and Rebecca!

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #1) by Laini Taylor Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

message 31: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Zemko | 28 comments YAY REBECCA!

message 32: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4663 comments Glad you are happy with the results! :)

Discussion threads are here:

Rebecca: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Daughter of Smoke and Bone: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 33: by KyleB (new)

message 34: by Saakshi (new)

Saakshi Lodha | 5 comments Allegiant by Veronica Roth
And the game of thrones #2

message 35: by Anton (new)

Anton (antontroia) | 6 comments The Last Overseer by Anton Troia

official website-

www.antontroia.com/

message 36: by Malak (new)

Malak Silmi (palestinian99) | 4 comments Daughter of Smoke and Bone?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.