Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Far in the Wilds (A Spear of Summer Grass, #0.5)
This topic is about Far in the Wilds
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived "Buddy Reads" > Far in the Wilds (A Spear of Summer Grass 0.5) by Deanna Raybourn (Start Date: September 3, 2013)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2013 06:21AM) (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments
Far in the Wilds, by Deanna Raybourn

The prequel to A Spear of Summer Grass, which we have moved to October.

New York Times bestselling author Deanna Raybourn takes readers into Africa during the height of British colonialism, to meet a man as wild as the land he loves in this prequel novella....

Kenya, 1918

Ryder White is Canadian by birth but African by choice. He is more at home in the wilds of the savannah, shooting and sleeping his way across the continent, than amongst the hedonistic colonists of Kenyan society.

In a landscape where one false move can cost a man his life, Ryder's skill as a guide is unparalleled, but only the rich or royal can afford his services. When a European prince hires Ryder to help him hunt an elusive leopard Ryder thinks it's just another well-paying job with yet another spoiled voyeur. But this perilous journey is full of dangers that may change Ryder forever....

Ryder returns in A Spear of Summer Grass by Deanna Raybourn, where he encounters a woman from a very different world, to explore beauty and darkness and what is truly worth fighting for.

◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇

This is a novella that is free right now on Kindle and a prequel to A Spear of Summer Grass, which we plan on reading in October as a "buddy read." Please join us.

EXPECT SPOILERS!

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I got it from the Harlequin website last night. I need to read the blurb and a few reviews before committing to the buddy read

message 4: by Searock (new)

Searock | 9 comments I look forward to this. It's a departure from what I've been reading, which is good.

Jenny (jyl22075) | 2336 comments I just read this. I find the setting extremely appealing. It's way outside of what I usually read and I look forward to visiting it again. This prequel is mainly a way to introduce Ryder and I think it does a good job of it. I feel like I have a decent knowledge of what he's all about after reading it. I also enjoyed the dialogue quite a bit.

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Thanks, Jenny.

I meant to get to this today, but I took a nap. Guess I'll read it tonight... when I can't sleep. ☺

message 7: by Searock (new)

Searock | 9 comments I agree with Jenny. I enjoyed this setting and feel I now know Ryder enough to be prepped for his part in the next book. I love getting to know him in this small way first. It was a treat.
And yes, it was a departure from my normal reading these days. Bonus points for that.

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Geez. I guess I'd best get to this one, then.

message 9: by Searock (new)

Searock | 9 comments Lol, LK, its quick and pretty good and the setting is nice. I think you'll enjoy it. I def feel more prepped for the SofSG read.

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Okay, I'll try to remember to read it when I get back from my friends house. I'm going to cook dinner there and she is going to show me how to do some Christmas crafts.

message 11: by Searock (new)

Searock | 9 comments Oh, its so nice to be reminded the holidays are coming.
Wow.
<3

message 12: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yeah... real soon!!

Jenny (jyl22075) | 2336 comments I'm already excited for my December reading list. I'm trying to stick with all Holiday books this year.

Searock, so happy to hear you enjoyed it too. It made me look forward to A Spear of Summer Grass.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Far in the Wilds (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Deanna Raybourn (other topics)