Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

All Things Writing > Do you take a break between writing your novels?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by April (new)

April Hollingworth | 105 comments Hey everyone I have a question to ask.
So I finished my first novel which was great and then I started writing my second as it was the next in the series. Then I stopped as I was to be honest exhausted. I am feeling quite guilty for stopping as it's been almost two weeks but I had still been doing things for my first book like sending it off to perceptive agents and publishers and a lot of finger crossing as well. So I felt like my energy wasn't with my new novel. Does anyone else get like this or is it just me? Also one of the publishers informed me if they take me on I will need an ITIN number so the novel is still keeping a hold of me.

message 2: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
What is an ITIN number? :x

And yes, I understand what you mean. I often take alittle break between drafts or chapters. Especially if its been an emotive scene. Its something I wrote about in a guest blog post that should be up tomorrow :3

I often find changing scenes for a while helps. I read, relax or do something completely random to get my mind off the draft for a while. You need a recharge thats all I think :3 Inspriration is like a battery :3

Feeling guilty will hinder your writing, so do something else, planning or editing if it gets too bad :3 Even promoting on twitter, it seems like you're not doing enough but your still working towards your goal if you think about it :3

message 3: by April (last edited Aug 31, 2013 06:20AM) (new)

April Hollingworth | 105 comments An ITIN number or a TIN depending which they give you is an American tax number for non US citizens. The nearest IRS place to me is in London so I'll have to fly there to get one but it will be so worth it if the publisher takes me on so fingers crossed.
Yes I do feel a lot better in myself with taking a couple of weeks off to read and relax and generally do nothing. I just wasn't sure if this was normal to be honest hence I think the feelings of guilt as if I'm letting my characters down by not writing even though they seem to have relaxed now that new ones have introduced themselves to me :D
Thanks Bisky It helps to know I'm not the only one who takes a break :D

message 4: by Bisky (new)

Bloody hell how complicated o_O

I know that feeling well :3 *glares at budgies*

message 5: by April (new)

April Hollingworth | 105 comments Yep and the Embassy is only open for a couple of hours in the day as well so I'll have to fly to London try and find the Embassy (I've chose a hotel which looks near it on the map) hopefully get seen and fingers crossed I've filled the paperwork out properly and then fly home the next day! sigh I'll probably manage to get lost as well somewhere!

message 6: by April (new)

April Hollingworth | 105 comments I'll think of it as a great adventure though and if I get the contract with the publisher it will be so worth it :D

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah LaFleur (lafleurdeplume) | 37 comments I also began the sequel to my first novel shortly after completing the first one. Honestly it was my form of self preservation since I am querying and was becoming quite obsessed with that :)

So I began novel 2 and wrote 100 or so pages (40k words) when I switched gears to make an online presence. That was 6 weeks ago and I've only returned to it once. I know I'll go back eventually but I'm immersed in my online story now and have no regrets.

message 8: by April (new)

April Hollingworth | 105 comments Yes I think that's an excellent idea. I only wrote 800 words before stopping but I was totally drained. I'll be busy with other things up till Monday so I think on Tuesday I will get back to my writing.
Good luck with your novel Sarah I hope it goes well both your finished one and the one your writing :D

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

When having an ITIN #, does that require you to bring $ in frequently?
I was wondering if I should hold off - in respects to when I finish my first novel. I don't know. I am new at this writing thing.

message 10: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa Crawford | 19 comments @April - I just got my ITIN (an EIN) by ringing US.

message 11: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa Crawford | 19 comments @April again... Trying to paste a link. First my keyboard stopped working, and then it disappeared. Third time lucky????

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-B...

message 12: by April (new)

April Hollingworth | 105 comments By ringing them? I thought you had to send your passport which the idea of posting is just no way!!! so I was going to visit the English American Embassy. You are such an angel :D thank you

message 13: by April (new)

April Hollingworth | 105 comments What do you need on hand to get it on the phone? Do I need to give them my passport number or anything? Its just I don't have a land line and would prefer to be organised :D

message 14: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa Crawford | 19 comments If you opt for an EIN instead of the ITIN (they're not the same - I think I might have confused you in my earlier message) you only need to tell them your name, address and that you are an individual. You get the number over the phone. On the W-8BEN form which you send to Amazon and publishers etc you can use either number. It's much simpler. I used a mobile too, and was on hold for 15 minutes, but after that it was all very straight forward.

Did you check out the link?

message 15: by April (new)

April Hollingworth | 105 comments Okay I wonder if you can use it with publishing houses as well. Okay thanks for your help I very much appreciate it :D

message 16: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) On topic, yes, I take breaks I actually find myself taking regular breaks of about 4-6 weeks about halfway through each draft. I dunno why...but it works for me. I come back refreshed and ready for more. But that said, I also write from start to finish, so it sometimes makes sense for the story.

As for tax, I got an EIN too. The E stands for employer, whereas an ITIN is I for individual. EIN is set up over the phone, and I wasn't even on hold for the 15 minutes that Annalisa was. You'll be acting in the capacity of a "sole proprietor" (it's what I was told on the phone.) You're still an individual, but you're treated as a business, and in my limited knowledge of businesses, it should work out better for you in long-term if you end up with multiple books etc.

message 17: by April (new)

April Hollingworth | 105 comments That's excellent, I've heard before that author's are regularly classified as small business owners. Are you a self published author Ken or are you through a publishing house/agent just wondering if it makes a difference to the agent/publishing company.
How are you keeping anyway?

message 18: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) I'm a selfie, April, but if it works for me, should work for you too with the same country and all. I'm dealing with a publisher in the UK for something else at the moment, and so far, the tax issue hasn't come up...

There's actually a blog post I found that was invaluable for setting all this stuff up: had it open on the screen in front of me while on the phone and filling in the paperwork. I'll PM it to you when I rummage it out :) (By another Irish author too, so we know it'll work for us)

message 19: by April (new)

April Hollingworth | 105 comments That's great news. One of the American publishing houses I've sent my novel off to said that I would need an ITIN number if they take me on, I've sent them a e-mail asking if a EIN will be okay instead hopefully they'll say yes. It was the first I'd heard of it so hence the sudden panic. I'll get the EIN anyway for my amazon self publishing works anyway. I'll look forward to your PM as I prefer to have all info infront of me so I don't make such a twit of myself when phoning through for the EIN number. Thanks again Ken :D

message 20: by April (new)

April Hollingworth | 105 comments Okay so after every ones help which I hugely appreciate when dealing with an American publishers if your a non-US author you have to get an ITIN number or maybe a TIN number depending which they give you. So I've filled out the W-7 form and now I'll just have to go to England and try not to get lost. Getting myself lost is kinda my speciallity I've made it into an art form even if I do say so myself :D

message 21: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments It depends. When I finish something and am waiting for the proof, what I tend to do is do all those things I have been putting off around the house and garden. Helps me recharge my batteries and gets those pesky things like dusting and weeding off my mind.

That said, while I'm doing this I will play around with another story or the next one in a series if I'm working on one. There are points...and I'm kind of there now...where I just have to put writing down and do something else. Like read someone else's work that I do not have to figure out what happens next or edit. (I think I've mentioned on another thread how much I LOVE editing...:P )

message 22: by April (new)

April Hollingworth | 105 comments Hey Heidi, I did a major spring clean of the house when I'd finished my book as well, I think it was either that or the house would leave me in protest from the dust bunnies. I'm feeling like my batteries are begining to hum from being recharged. I was surprised just how much I needed to do nothing and so am pleased that other author's feel the same way. I hope your writing and editing are going well.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

You're feeling bad after a two-week break? Sometimes I don't write for months! Maybe I should feel guilty...
My excuse (if it can qualify as one ^^) is that I am a student in literature so I have quite a lot to read and write for my studies and that kinda takes away my time.
I think it's great if your job/studies allows you to take a break of only two weeks :) And sometimes, taking a break isn't so bad. You should read Bisky's blog about that ;)

message 24: by April (new)

April Hollingworth | 105 comments I took a lot of breaks during my first novel one of them was for four months mind you that was mainly due to my lap-top breaking and life happening in a rather interfering way as it does.
I actually feel better about taking the time out since finding out everyone else does so as well. I hope your well Sandrine

message 25: by Bisky (new)

@Sandy I love the promote in that post :p

I also did a blog about inspiration today on David Grenier's blog :p (should be on my twitter feed... Now) :3

message 26: by Bisky (new)

@Sandy, Oh! And don't you find essay wordcounts seem so much easier while you write and study! :D

I had an essay of 3000 words and I smiled so much while the rest of my class groaned :p (The first draft of my first novel was 140k :p Got it down to 116 but its still pretty long :P)

message 27: by D (new)

D R Perry (AuthorDRPerry) | 11 comments Think of the mind as a muscle, the worst thing you can do is rest it. I take little mini breaks, but the longer you stop writing the harder it will be to get back into the groove.

It's good to leave a finished manuscript for months before editing but move on to another project quickly.

The day I finished 'Become' I moved straight on the next book.

message 28: by Bisky (new)

I think you don't have to keep writing. But atleast keep learning :3 Reading and researching is how I relax :3

message 29: by D (new)

D R Perry (AuthorDRPerry) | 11 comments I relax by writing lol. The only time I feel at ease is when my fingers are working the keyboard, or scribbling on a piece of scrap paper.

message 30: by Bisky (new)

Wait until you start writing unique inspirational quotes all day everyday and then tell me that again :p

message 31: by Rose (new)

Rose (rosepetals1984) | 2 comments First post here (I figure I'm a serial lurker to all my groups, but this was an interesting discussion that I couldn't help but jump into.)

I find that I write at least every day on something. Even if it's not my current WIP - I'm working on editing a completed YA novella at present - I find myself either reading, looking up aspects pertaining to my project, or working in bite sized amounts on other projects or freewriting. It helps keep my mind sharp.

message 32: by Bisky (new)

Serial Lurker, LOL. I like your style :p

I think alittle can be all you can do sometimes, but I think it soon builds up :D I find that if I don't keep focused on editing my mind wants to go and do something more interesting and less demoralising :x #BadSpeller

message 33: by D (new)

D R Perry (AuthorDRPerry) | 11 comments I hope you don't run out of inspiration to share Bisky. Yeah I suppose I enjoy it because at the moment it doesn't pay the bills, there isn't any pressure. But I love escaping into my imagination.

message 34: by Bisky (new)

I think when it does pay the bills for me I will love it even more :D

I do write to relax now that I think about it (my 50k I got done on a beach in greece) I've just been editing so long now :'(

message 35: by D (new)

D R Perry (AuthorDRPerry) | 11 comments Wow how can you not relax writing on a beach in Greece.

I hate editing, but a necessary evil. I wanted to cry when I looked at my manuscript and it was covered in red corrections.

message 36: by Bisky (new)

I had a revision of my whole first chapter. I know its going to be better but the self doubt is hitting me now. I have to drown it out with some loud music and continue >:D

Then post it to my harshest critques. (they don't know its coming yet :p) I WILL MAKE YOU LOVE ME!

Btw, if anyone feels really moody, feel free to go over to my chapter draft on my site and tell me everything thats wrong with it (writingwise, not spelling/grammar I know about them already haha):P

every little helps :p

message 37: by Rose (new)

Rose (rosepetals1984) | 2 comments Bisky wrote: "Serial Lurker, LOL. I like your style :p

I think alittle can be all you can do sometimes, but I think it soon builds up :D I find that if I don't keep focused on editing my mind wants to go and d..."

LOL, I think I'm very good at lurking and very bad at crawling out of my lurking space. :P

Yeah, editing hits me hard too. Editing's one of those left brain writerly activities that drive your right brain into turbo mode - never fails. I always find I end up having new ideas and things to write about whenever I'm editing something. I sometimes have to find that balance between working my left brain and my right brain in my writing so one doesn't overtake the other.

I'm hoping to get this current project done by the beginning of October (if not sooner), but it's a matter of time and motivating myself to do it.

message 38: by Bisky (new)

To be honest having to Tweet so often actually focuses me on editing, I don't have time to think about new projects.

Good luck with your release date :3 I'm sure you'll feel better as long as you remember that you've already achieved so much by just getting the novel down in the first place :3

message 39: by D (new)

D R Perry (AuthorDRPerry) | 11 comments I am having a look Bisky. I like your voice, and you have similar style to me. I like the way you incorporate sounds, feelings and taste helps build up a detailed picture of the scene.

I would say you just need a few tweaks, which you will pick up when you edit it, just to keep it flowing.

But hey I'm no expert.

message 40: by Bisky (new)

Experts are over rated ;]

I've removed ALOT. Its upset me alittle because some of it was things I've had praise for. But there is FAR too much going on in that first chapter :p

message 41: by D (new)

D R Perry (AuthorDRPerry) | 11 comments It defiantly grabs you, brilliant start.

I overthink my first chapter trying to hook the reader.

Lol hope we both don't become experts now, don't want to become overrated lol.

message 42: by Bisky (new)

haha! You've made me sad as I've changed my beginning alittle ;]

I'm a jack of all trades but master of nothing o_o

message 43: by D (new)

D R Perry (AuthorDRPerry) | 11 comments Its like a painting, when do you put the paint brush down and finally say; that is it, I'm finished.

lol jack of all trades. I feel a little like that, but I'm hoping in writing I have found a trade.

message 44: by Bisky (new)

I've never finished a painting I've not edited at somepoint o_O

Unless some one has paid for it. Then I have to splintercell into their house and make adjustments while they sleep.

message 45: by D (new)

D R Perry (AuthorDRPerry) | 11 comments hahahaha that's funny.

I might have to buy a painting from you, and then catch you breaking and entering.

message 46: by Bisky (new)

You'll never see me. The kid who broke my parents window still hasn't found out what happened to his goldfish...

message 47: by D (new)

D R Perry (AuthorDRPerry) | 11 comments You sound like you have a dark side miss Bisky. I better go for now I have some creating to do.

And you've scared me now, I have tropical fish lol.

message 48: by Bisky (new)

Just keep on my good side ;]

Good luck with your endeavors :3

message 49: by D (new)

D R Perry (AuthorDRPerry) | 11 comments lol note to self don't upset Bisky.

Thanks

Chat soon.

message 50: by Bisky (new)

;3

« previous 1