The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.7. Bamaace83’s task: Football Kick-off Fun!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Sep 02, 2013 04:22AM) (new)

Sandy | 15614 comments Mod
25.7. Bamaace83’s task: Football Kick-off Fun!

Being raised a Crimson Tide Fan in the great state of Alabama has made me truly appreciate and respect College Football. We plan weddings, work, and trips around off-weekends. We love to gather together with great food and drinks to cheer and sometimes yell our favorite teams on. In honor of the kick-off to football season this week, please pick two options below and read one book from each one.

Each book must be at least 250 pages.

NOTE: ebooks without print versions cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages. If you read an ebook or audiobook use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition.

REQUIRED: State in your post the options that you used.

Option 1:

In honor of my growing up in the Southeastern Conference (SEC), read a book with one of the following animals/persons associated with one of our schools in the title: Tiger, Bulldog, Rebel, Elephant, Alligator, Volunteer, Commodore, Aggie, Gamecock, Razorback. Singular, plural, and possessive versions of the word will work.

Option 2:

For those people for whom the NFL dominates the home instead of college football, read any book with an NFL team name in the title. Plural, singular, and possessive forms of names are acceptable. For example: The Cowboy's Lady, Patriot Games, and Saint's Gate

The city name cannot be used for the word in the title. For example, for the Dallas Cowboys, Cowboy Casanova would work, but Living Dead in Dallas would not.

You can find a list of NFL teams here: NFL Teams

Option 3:

Football can be played at many levels. Please choose a book from one of the following lists honoring such an awesome game. Best (American) Football Books, Touchdown: Romance and American Football
Please state the list and number of the book when you post.

Option 4:

Finally, what true football event can be done watched without food. Read any book with a food item on the cover. Drinks alone on the cover won't work for this task. REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post.

message 2: by bamaace83 (last edited Sep 03, 2013 04:00PM) (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Approved Books:

Option 2:
The Jaguar

Option 4:
All That Matters The Etched City

message 3: by bamaace83 (last edited Sep 03, 2013 03:57PM) (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Not approved:

Fuzzy Navel

message 4: by Sandy (new)

This thread is now open.

message 5: by Sheila (last edited Sep 02, 2013 07:06AM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments I love your task. Hubby and I are big fans. I live in Illinois but my daughter went to the Tennessee (who's teams sucked btw). Rocky Top and Smokey all the way! I have always wondered about the elephant mascot for Alabama. What is the story with that? We are Big Ten here - go Hawkeyes!

Oh goodie I get to be the first questioner. You mentioned drinks on cover for the food option. This is a drink but it has an orange slice as well. Will it work?

Fuzzy Navel (Jack Daniels Mystery, #5) by J.A. Konrath Fuzzy Navel by J.A. Konrath

And for the NFL option how about The Jaguar (Charlie Hood, #5) by T. Jefferson Parker The Jaguar by T. Jefferson Parker

message 6: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Geaux Tigers!! I live breathe and die SEC football!! Great challenge.

So question, if I have a book with a tiger shifter, does it have to be the main character or can it be an important secondary character?

message 7: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments As somebody who has no connection to American Football, I have to say that some of these teams have really strange names. Who would have ever thought that Football has something in common with pirates (Buccaneers and Raiders) and Cardinals must be mean little birds...

Now to my question. Will this pomegranate work for food on the cover?

The Etched City by K.J. Bishop

It not the usual tv snack, more something for the health conscious, alternative household.

message 8: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments I'd like to get this one approved for option 4, since it's hard to see.

This is a bakery on the cover (says "cakes" on the
door.)
There are pies and cakes in the windows.
And pumpkins out front (which are food, too)

:-)

All That Matters by Stef Ann Holm

message 9: by Rosemary (last edited Sep 03, 2013 11:08AM) (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments How about these for option 4:

The Children of the New Forest by Frederick Marryat the children are picking berries to eat

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz that's a plate of food on the left edge of the cover, and you can see some smears of food on his face too

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

can i get an OK on these?

Option 2: The Raven Boys
Option 4: The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood

message 11: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1668 comments Would it be accepted if the NFL name is in the series title?
City of the Beasts

The subtitle is Eagle and Jaguar

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 610 comments Fun with the search feature in my book database....

I have a large stash of unread category romances and Harlequin Nocturne came through for me (all are over 250 pages) with a Raven, a Lion, a Tiger, and a Jaguar (why are there no DRAGONS in the NFL???) However, it's obvious that I'm not into Vikings, Texans, or Cowboys. I've got Pirates, but not Buccaneers (same diff, really).

However, I'm into millionaires. ;)

Oh, and I have this:

Millennium Falcon (Star Wars) by James Luceno

And when I typed "Brown", I got this:

Brownies and Broomsticks (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #1) by Bailey Cates
(at least it will work for the food option)

I have NO idea what I'm going to read now....

message 13: by bamaace83 (last edited Sep 03, 2013 03:51PM) (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Sheila wrote: "I love your task. Hubby and I are big fans. I live in Illinois but my daughter went to the Tennessee (who's teams sucked btw). Rocky Top and Smokey all the way! I have always wondered about the..."

The elephant goes back to the 1930's when an announcer said "hold your horses, the elephants are coming" while talking about the Alabama football team entered the field. It has stuck ever since.

We may end up playing Ohio State in January. We will have to see how the dice fall this year.

For the food cover, I'm going to say no it won't work because the orange is acting more as a garnish to the drink than an actual stand-alone food item. I know if I was just drinking those and only eating the orange slice, I might not see the second half of the game. ;)

The second book is approved for the NFL option.

message 14: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Leslie wrote: "Geaux Tigers!! I live breathe and die SEC football!! Great challenge.

So question, if I have a book with a tiger shifter, does it have to be the main character or can it be an important secondary..."

I will admit I will pull for your LSU boys as long as they aren't playing my Bama boys. I totally get fired up when we play each other though, ;)

As long as the word tiger is in the title of the book, it can be claimed. It doesn't have to be a character just in the title.

message 15: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Fandury wrote: "As somebody who has no connection to American Football, I have to say that some of these teams have really strange names. Who would have ever thought that Football has something in common with pira..."

We do have some strange football names but you should hear some of our traditions! They can be even stranger. It is a picture of a stand-alone food item so I will approve it. Even though, it is a little stranger to eat.

message 16: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Kathy G. wrote: "I'd like to get this one approved for option 4, since it's hard to see.

This is a bakery on the cover (says "cakes" on the
door.)
There are pies and cakes in the windows.
And pumpkins out front (w..."

Approved! It's a good fall book.

message 17: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alvarezalexis85) | 122 comments Will Hallowe'en Party Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie work for option 4? it has a pumpkin on the cover

message 18: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) bamaace83 wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Geaux Tigers!! I live breathe and die SEC football!! Great challenge.

So question, if I have a book with a tiger shifter, does it have to be the main character or can it be an impo..."

I totally missed that really tiny little word TITLE!!

And you are a better person than I am, I have to admit. I can't stand Saban and can't root for anything he is involved in. I have a good friend here in Shreveport who is a huge Bama fan and now her son is a freshman there. And one of the teachers at the school I work at is a Alabama graduate and her whole room is decorated in crimson and white with pictures of their championship season(s). She loves rubbing it in! And to add to the fun, my daughter graduated from Vanderbilt. It's all good when you are part of the SEC!!

message 19: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Rosemary wrote: "How about these for option 4:

The Children of the New Forest by Frederick Marryat the children are picking berries to eat

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz that's a plate of ..."

Both of those are approved for option 4.

message 20: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "can i get an OK on these?

Option 2: The Raven Boys
Option 4: The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood"

Both of those are approved!

message 21: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Wanda wrote: "Would it be accepted if the NFL name is in the series title?
City of the Beasts

The subtitle is Eagle and Jaguar"

I'm afraid this book won't work. Eagle and Jaguar are in the series title not subtitles and we aren't including series titles for this challenge.

message 22: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Christina (AKA Babbling) wrote: "Fun with the search feature in my book database....

I have a large stash of unread category romances and Harlequin Nocturne came through for me (all are over 250 pages) with a Raven, a Lion, a Tig..."

I guess they are afraid of fire-breathing dragon mascots, hehe. The falcon book looks good. I may have to steal that one for myself. The bakery book totally works for the food option.

message 23: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Alexis wrote: "Will Hallowe'en Party Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie work for option 4? it has a pumpkin on the cover"

Yes, approved.

message 24: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Leslie wrote: "bamaace83 wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Geaux Tigers!! I live breathe and die SEC football!! Great challenge.

So question, if I have a book with a tiger shifter, does it have to be the main character or..."

If the roles were reversed, I may have a hard time rooting for him too. One day, I'm going to have a Crimson room. I already have it mapped out. That's cool that she graduated from Vandy. I came really close to going there but the tuition pulled me towards Alabama instead.

message 25: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1668 comments Alligator Gold

Would this book be acceptable---being raised a Gator fan and a alumna of the University of Florida plus living only 30 miles away from Gainesville--well, I have to use a book with alligator in the title.

message 26: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3367 comments I assume Rock Paper Tiger works for Option 1 (SEC)
and Night of the Jaguar works for Option 2(NFL)?
I hate football but am happy to finally be forced to read these two books which have been on my shelf for ages.(assuming, of course) they work for this task

Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) Would this book work for Option 4? Friendship Bread

Friendship Bread by Darien Gee

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 610 comments bamaace83 wrote: "I guess they are afraid of fire-breathing dragon mascots, hehe. The falcon book looks good. I may have to steal that one for myself. The bakery book totally works for the food option... "

Ha! It would be a cumbersome mascot costume, that's for sure. :)

Yeah, the Falcon as the main character -- should be interesting. I haven't read anything that came before it, chronologically, so...spoilers abound for me if I do.

message 29: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Wanda wrote: "Alligator Gold

Would this book be acceptable---being raised a Gator fan and a alumna of the University of Florida plus living only 30 miles away from Gainesville--well, I have to use a book with ..."

Hehe, I totally understand. I'm on the search for a great elephant book. Alligator Gold is approved.

message 30: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Andy wrote: "I assume Rock Paper Tiger works for Option 1 (SEC)
and Night of the Jaguar works for Option 2(NFL)?
I hate football but am happy to finally be forced to read these two books which have been on my s..."

Both of these books work. It's good you can knock them off your list.

message 31: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments ♥Robin ♥ wrote: "Would this book work for Option 4? Friendship Bread

Friendship Bread by Darien Gee"

Sure, approved.

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments ok I'm wondering if these are ok. For option 1 I want to read Tiger Lily and for option 4 I would use Devilish by Maureen Johnson there's a cupcake on the cover.

Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) bamaace83 wrote: "♥Robin ♥ wrote: "Would this book work for Option 4? Friendship Bread

Friendship Bread by Darien Gee"

Sure, approved."

message 34: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1668 comments bamaace83 wrote: "Wanda wrote: "Alligator Gold

Would this book be acceptable---being raised a Gator fan and a alumna of the University of Florida plus living only 30 miles away from Gainesville--well, I have to us..."

Thanks!

message 35: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alvarezalexis85) | 122 comments bamaace83 wrote: "Alexis wrote: "Will Hallowe'en Party Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie work for option 4? it has a pumpkin on the cover"

Yes, approved."

Thank you :)

message 36: by Angela (new)

Angela | 410 comments Long shot, but will rebellions work as a form of rebel?

message 38: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Angela wrote: "Long shot, but will rebellions work as a form of rebel?"

Yeah, I'm afraid its a long shot. This book won't work for rebel, only plurals and possessives.

message 39: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Claire wrote: "Option 1: The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

Option 2: Lonesome Cowboy by Debbie Macomber"

Sure, both of these work.

message 40: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 867 comments Is half a slice of cake o.k. for option 4?
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender

message 41: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Ann A wrote: "Is half a slice of cake o.k. for option 4?
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender"

Sure, that works.

message 42: by Katie (new)

Katie Would "tiger" found intact within the title work? Tigerland

message 43: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1668 comments I finally got this book from the library after being on hold for 2 months--the latest in her series but want to make sure there is enough food on the front cover.

The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery, #17) by Diane Mott Davidson

I mean what would salsa be without the chili peppers?

message 44: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1668 comments Would this book work for the food option?

The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery, #17) by Diane Mott Davidson

message 45: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Wanda wrote: "Would this book work for the food option?

The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery, #17) by Diane Mott Davidson"

Yes, that book will work! Hmm salsa, that sounds good for my next football game day. :)

message 46: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments I've started to read Bumped (Bumped, #1) by Megan McCafferty for option 4, but thought I'd better get it approved! Will it work?

message 47: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Another quick question, will words in the subtitle work for option 2? I read Don't Look Behind You!: A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesick Rhinos (Lions for the Detroit Lions) and was about to post when I realized the task says title, but does not include subtitles.

message 48: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Stacie wrote: "Another quick question, will words in the subtitle work for option 2? I read Don't Look Behind You!: A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesick Rhinos (Lion..."

Both of those books will work. Lion is still in the title of the book so it would count.

message 49: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments bamaace83 wrote: "Stacie wrote: "Another quick question, will words in the subtitle work for option 2? I read Don't Look Behind You!: A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesi..."

Thank you!

message 50: by Sandy (new)

For option 2, will "St." work when it's clearly being used as an abbreviation for "Saint" (as opposed to "Street")? for example, St. Dale.

Thanks!

« previous 1