The Liberal Politics & Current Events Book Club discussion

oppression / discrimination > Man arrested during BMW test drive

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 30, 2013 08:15PM) (new)

A man who went car shopping in Gwinnett County ended up in jail during a test drive.

Jon-Christopher Sowells had just driven a BMW out of Philips Motors on Highway 78 in Snellville when an officer stopped him.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/...

message 2: by Frank (new)

Frank Klus (ftklus) There's a lot wrong with this story. What dealership is going to let a shopper drive off the lot with a BMW and no one from the dealership is in the car? My guess is Sowells really did try to steal the car.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Frank wrote: "There's a lot wrong with this story. What dealership is going to let a shopper drive off the lot with a BMW and no one from the dealership is in the car? My guess is Sowells really did try to steal..."

I don't really think that the absence of a dealership employee justifies the assumption that he did attempt to steal the car. I mean, it says that he later bought the car, so it's not like he wasn't in a position to be a customer.

message 4: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 228 comments He also asked to call the dealership and a dealership guy went to get the car. If he had stolen it then I am sure the dealership would have made it very clear. I think in the end he ended up in jail on the obstruction of justice charge and not stealing.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Frank wrote: "My guess is Sowells really did try to steal the car."

Reading that again, I really want to know how you would justify that assumption.

message 6: by Frank (new)

Frank Klus (ftklus) I don't have the link to that story but as I said before now dealer is going to let someone drive their car off the lot without one of them in the car. It just sounds fishy. My guess is you don't own an automobile dealership.

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling You can get solo test drives at dealerships that allow it if you supply the proper documents.

message 8: by Frank (new)

Frank Klus (ftklus) I am tired of fighting you two. Do you have some kind of agenda going? As of right now, count me out of your group.