We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Archives - Challenges > September 2013 We Love Lisa Kleypas Build Your Own Challenge

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Aug 30, 2013 04:14PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments

September Build Your Own Challenge

As with all of our BYOC challenges, you get to decide how to make this one work for you. As long as you can tie it to August, it will count.

Need some ideas? Here you go -

*Don't forget you can do a Spell it Out of your choice!

--September 22nd is the beginning of autumn

Here is a link to historical events in September:

http://www.aboutfamouspeople.com/arti...

Events/Observances in September (Information taken from Wikipedia.org.):

* It is the start of the academic year in many countries in the Northern Hemisphere in which children go back to school after the Summer break, usually on 1st of September.
* September 14 was the day that Francis Scott Key wrote The Star Spangled Banner, the national anthem of the United States
* September 19 is International Talk Like A Pirate Day.
* The equinox named the autumnal equinox in the northern hemisphere and the vernal or spring equinox in the southern hemisphere occurs on dates varying from 21 September to 24 September (in UTC). In the pagan wheel of the year the spring equinox is the time of Ostara and the autumn equinox is that of Mabon.
* In Australia and NZ, Father's Day is celebrated on the first Sunday of September.
* In Australia, the Rugby League Grand Final is played on the last Sunday of September.
* In Australia, the AFL Grand Final is played on the last Saturday of September.
* In Brazil, Independence Day is celebrated September 7
* Canada/ USA - Labor Day (Labour Day in Canada) is observed on the first Monday in September in the United States and Canada.
* National Grandparents' Day takes place on the first Sunday after Labor Day in the United States and Canada.
* In Chile, Fiestas Patrias is celebrated on September 18 and September 19.
* In China, Shenyang Incident ~ 18-9-1931 Japan invades China September 18.
* The Chinese August Moon festival (more correctly called the Mid-Autumn Festival) occurs in September.
* September 1 is celebrated as the beginning of Eritrea 's 30 year armed struggle for independence from Ethiopia, which began in September 1961 and ended in May 1991.
* As a celebration for the coming October, the traditional harvest month in historic Germany, the German Oktoberfest is celebrated near the end of September.
* In India, Teachers' Day is celebrated on September 5. The date is the birthday of the second President of India, academic philosopher Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
* Italy - On the first Sunday of September, the regata storica parade is staged in Venice, as prelude to the rowing contests known as regattas.
* In Japan, Respect for the Aged Day is a national holiday celebrated on the third Monday of September. Autumnal Equinox Day is also a national holiday.
* In Saint Kitts and Nevis, National Heroes' Day is celebrated September 16.
* In Saint Kitts and Nevis, Independence Day is celebrated September 19.
* In Malaysia, September 16 is celebrated annually as Malaysia Day, the day Sabah, Sarawak, Singapore and Malaya come together and form Federation of Malaysia in 1963.
* In Mexico, Independence Day is celebrated September 16.
* In Mozambique, Revolution Day is celebrated on September 25.
* In the Netherlands the third Tuesday in September is known as prinsjesdag. The government presents its annual budget. The king rides to the parliament in a gilded coach and reads the plans for the coming year to the States-general.
* Heritage Day is celebrated in South Africa on 24 September.
* In KwaZulu-Natal, king Shaka is commemorated on the last Sunday of September.[citation needed]
* In the United States, September is National Preparedness Month
* In the United States, Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated from September 15 to October 15.
* California Admission Day to commemorate the admission of California into the Union is September 9.
* German American Heritage Month begins on September 15 in the United States.
* In Uzbekistan, Independence Day is celebrated September 1
* Vietnam's National Day is September 2

September symbols

* August's birthstone is the peridot or onyx
* September's birthstone is the sapphire.
* The Zodiac signs for individuals born in this month are Virgo (until September 21) and Libra (from September 22 onward).
* The birth flowers for September are the forget-me-not, morning glory and aster.

Feel free to Overlap this challenge with the All Things Summer Challenge (through the 21st), and the All Things Fall Challenge (from the 22nd on of this month) for books that you read toward the end of the month.

Please post your status updates like this: 1/4, 2/34, 9/10, etc., at the top of your update. That's the best way to make sure you're updated correctly.

Restrictions - You can sign up and list your books at any time, but all books must be started no earlier than September 1st, and must be completed by September 30th to qualify. You can make changes to your challenge through the final day.

Happy September, reading and otherwise!

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Oct 01, 2013 03:07PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Challenge Participants!

*Brandilyn-------6/6
*Lisa Kay--------4/4
*Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress-------X/12
*BJ Rose---------5/5
*Ora-------------X/12
*jingles---------X/5
*Susan-----------X/4
*Lindy-----------5/5

message 3: by Brandilyn (last edited Sep 01, 2013 06:41PM) (new)

Brandilyn (brandilynrc) In I will be spelling SCHOOL

0/6 Complete

S Scott, RJ The Gallows Tree
C Chris Quinton Sea Change
H Heidi Cullinan Dance With Me
O The Only Way Out Is In
O Our Piece of Sky
L Lane, Amy et. al. Three Fates

The Gallows Tree by R.J. Scott Sea Change by Chris Quinton Dance With Me by Heidi Cullinan The Only Way Out Is In by Lyn Gala Our Piece of Sky by Eden Connor Three Fates by Andrew Grey

message 4: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments I'm in! I'll spell "B.-D.A.Y."

0/4

B. - Behind His Blue Eyes, Kaki Warner (PB)
-
D. - Dresden Files #7 Dead Beat, by Jim Butcher (PB & audible.com)
A. -
Y. - Yates, Maisy = Heir to a Dark Inheritance (PB)
Behind His Blue Eyes (Heroes of Heartbreak Creek, #1) by Kaki Warner Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7) by Jim Butcher Heir to a Dark Inheritance by Maisey Yates

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Someone has a b-day coming up? :)

message 6: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Yup. ☺

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Cool!

message 8: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 848 comments OK - got mine figured out:

We Love Lisa Kleypas
Build Your Own Challenge
September 1-30, 2013

0/5

I love flowers, so I'll spell out one of September's flowers:

A = Any Duchess Will Do by Tessa Dare
S = Sherryl Woods: Harbor Lights
T = Taming Rafe by Suzanne Enoch
E = Enoch, Suzanne: By Love Undone
R = Roberts, Nora: A Will And A Way

message 9: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Neat, BJ Rose. Welcome to the challenge.

message 10: by Brandilyn (last edited Sep 01, 2013 06:41PM) (new)

1/6 Complete

S Scott, RJ The Gallows Tree finished 9/1 4*
O The Only Way Out Is In
O Our Piece of Sky
L Lane, Amy et. al. Three Fates

The Gallows Tree by R.J. Scott Sea Change by Chris Quinton Dance With Me by Heidi Cullinan The Only Way Out Is In by Lyn Gala Our Piece of Sky by Eden Connor Three Fates by Andrew Grey

message 11: by Brandilyn (new)

2/6 Complete

O The Only Way Out Is In
O Our Piece of Sky
L Langley, JL With Love finished 91/ 4*

The Gallows Tree by R.J. Scott Sea Change by Chris Quinton Dance With Me by Heidi Cullinan The Only Way Out Is In by Lyn Gala Our Piece of Sky by Eden Connor With Love (With or Without, #1) by J.L. Langley

message 12: by Brandilyn (last edited Sep 04, 2013 10:44PM) (new)

3/6 Complete

C Cardeno C. Where He Ends and I Begin (re-read) finished 9/1 4*
H Hidden Away
O Owen, Chris By The Numbers
O The One Who Saves Me (re-read)
L Langley, JL With Love finished 91/ 4*

The Gallows Tree by R.J. Scott Where He Ends and I Begin (Home #3) by Cardeno C. Hidden Away by J.W. Kilhey By The Numbers by Chris Owen The One Who Saves Me (Home #6) by Cardeno C. With Love (With or Without, #1) by J.L. Langley

message 13: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Welcome to the challenge, Brandilyn!

message 15: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Neat, Ora! Welcome to the challenge.

message 16: by jingles (new)

jingles WLLK: September 2013 BYOC
09/01/13 - 09/30/13
0/5 Completed

A
S
T
E
R

message 17: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Super, jingles! Welcome to the challenge.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan Gorman | 400 comments I will be spelling FALL

0/4 completed

F Feldman, Christine The Bargain --reading
A Ashe, Katherine How to Marry A Highlander
L Lauren WIllig Garden Intrique
L Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal

message 19: by Brandilyn (last edited Sep 05, 2013 11:01AM) (new)

4/6 Complete

H Hidden Away
O The One Who Saves Me (re-read) finished 9/5 4*
L Langley, JL With Love finished 9/1 4*

The Gallows Tree by R.J. Scott Where He Ends and I Begin (Home #3) by Cardeno C. Hidden Away by J.W. Kilhey By The Numbers by Chris Owen The One Who Saves Me (Home #6) by Cardeno C. With Love (With or Without, #1) by J.L. Langley

message 20: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments **waves** Hi, Susan! Welcome to the challenge.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan Gorman | 400 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "**waves** Hi, Susan! Welcome to the challenge."

Thanks LIsa Kay!! Waving back!!

message 22: by Brandilyn (new)

5/6 Complete

H Harper, Kaje Learning Curve finished 9/7 5*

The Gallows Tree by R.J. Scott Where He Ends and I Begin (Home #3) by Cardeno C. Learning Curve (Life Lessons, #4) by Kaje Harper By The Numbers by Chris Owen The One Who Saves Me (Home #6) by Cardeno C. With Love (With or Without, #1) by J.L. Langley

message 23: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 29 comments count me in, just back from vacation

message 24: by Brandilyn (new)

Done!

6/6 Complete

H Harper, Kaje Learning Curve finished 9/7 5*
O One More Dance finished 9/9 3*

The Gallows Tree by R.J. Scott Where He Ends and I Begin (Home #3) by Cardeno C. Learning Curve (Life Lessons, #4) by Kaje Harper One More Dance by Nicole Dennis The One Who Saves Me (Home #6) by Cardeno C. With Love (With or Without, #1) by J.L. Langley

message 25: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Welcome to the challenge, Lindy!

message 26: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Congrats, Brandilyn! Woohoo!

message 27: by Lisa Kay (new)

1/4

B. - Behind His Blue Eyes, Kaki Warner (PB)
-
D. - Dresden Files #7 Dead Beat, by Jim Butcher (PB & audible.com)
A. - Amanda Stevens = The Prophet ★★★★☆ audible.com 9/4 “buddy read”
Read
To Read
The Prophet (Graveyard Queen, #3) by Amanda Stevens

Behind His Blue Eyes (Heroes of Heartbreak Creek, #1) by Kaki Warner Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7) by Jim Butcher Heir to a Dark Inheritance by Maisey Yates

message 28: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments October's Build Your Own Spooky Challenge has been posted!

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 29: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 29 comments Thank you for posting the line to October, being blind I have toruble finding them, bet you get a lot more people 1. for the link 2. for being so early

Thank you, thaniyou thank you

message 30: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments You're welcome, Lindy! Glad to have you join us!

message 31: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Way to go, Brandilyn!

message 32: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 848 comments All Done!

We Love Lisa Kleypas
Build Your Own Challenge
September 1-30, 2013

5/5

I love flowers, so I'll spell out one of September's flowers:

√ A = Again the Magic by Lisa Kleypas - 9.19
√ S = The Song by Jean Johnson - 9.04
√ T = Taming Rafe by Suzanne Enoch - 9.13
√ E = Enoch, Suzanne: By Love Undone - 9.11
√ R = Roberts, Nora: A Will And A Way - 9.24

message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Congratuations, BJ Rose!

message 34: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Woohoo! Congratulations, BJ Rose!

message 35: by Lisa Kay (new)

3/4

B. - Behind His Blue Eyes, Kaki Warner ★★★★☆ PB 9/14
-
D. - Dresden Files #7 Dead Beat, by Jim Butcher ★★★★★ audible.com 9/21 “buddy read”
Read
The Prophet (Graveyard Queen, #3) by Amanda Stevens Behind His Blue Eyes (Heroes of Heartbreak Creek, #1) by Kaki Warner Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7) by Jim Butcher

To Read
Heir to a Dark Inheritance by Maisey Yates

message 36: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 29 comments Spell
A Atkins, Ace Parker's Lullaby
S Simykin, Sherri Cooper The Secret in the Attic
T Burdette, Lucy Topped Chef
E Evans, Richard Paul Promise Me
R Reichs, kathy Bones of the Lost

message 37: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Well done, Lindy!

message 38: by Lisa Kay (new)

4/4 - Done!

B. - Behind His Blue Eyes, Kaki Warner ★★★★☆ PB 9/14
-
D. - Dresden Files #7 Dead Beat, by Jim Butcher ★★★★★ audible.com 9/21 “buddy read”
Y. - ✔ Yates, Maisy = Heir to a Dark Inheritance ★★★★☆ PB 9/25
Read
The Prophet (Graveyard Queen, #3) by Amanda Stevens Behind His Blue Eyes (Heroes of Heartbreak Creek, #1) by Kaki Warner Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7) by Jim Butcher Heir to a Dark Inheritance by Maisey Yates

message 39: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Way to go, Lindy and Lisa Kay!

message 40: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Thanks, Lady D. ☺