Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

Books/Characters > The book that most influenced your writing

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
I read Dean Koontz's The Watchers when I was about 12. It was amazing, creepy and the first horror novel I had really read.

(though mum black inked out of the sexual themed stalker stuff that happens in the first few chapters when I asked if I could have it out of her bookshelf lol)

The book is my favourite book. Mostly because how it did affect my writing. It involves a chase and a chase between good and evil is a heavy theme throughout my stories.

And I believe it is really hard for someone my age not to have been influenced in some way by J.K Rowlings descriptive style.

So, what book(s) have influenced you in your writing?

message 2: by Hogan (new)

Hogan (shebreathesinink) | 19 comments Hmm. That's a really good question! I've never really thought about it before, maybe because I've had a love for writing ever since I can remember.

One book that really did inspire me was Eragon. I know a lot of people have their gripes against Paolini, but when I learned that he had been just 15 when he wrote the book, it really inspired me to never give up. He self published in the beginning before Eragon was picked up by the publisher it has now. I'll always have a special place for Paolini; it was because of him that I realized I could follow my dream of getting published. :)

message 3: by Bisky (new)

I have mad respect for Paolini! He tried so hard and it worked out for him so well :3 He's a massive inspiration to anyone writing, I think no one can doubt that he did something right :]

I tried to self publish when I was 16 but life got in the way and the book got stalled. This is my attempt of 'doing a Paolini' this time ;] Though I'm abit older than 15 lol :x

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah LaFleur (lafleurdeplume) | 37 comments Oh gosh... There are so many books that influence me! The Time Traveler's Wife is a big one. The MC in my novel experiences her future (not by physically going there as he did, but by living the moment as an observer) and then returns a second later to her natural timeline.

message 5: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa Crawford | 19 comments I get influenced by the style of the book. I have one MS that was heavily influenced by Ton Morrison's Paradise, and another influenced by Diary by Chuck Palanhiuk. I'm in the process of taking the ghosts of those authors out and inserting myself back in!

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) I would say it's Robin Jarvis' Wyrd Museum trilogy, and I think I read when I was about 8/9. It's a combination of fantasy/sci-fi, but incorporates elements of Norse and British mythology. It blew my young mind.

I think it's been out of print and re-published twice since then. But it certainly had a mix of everything enough that it gave me the ideas of stories I wanted to write.

message 7: by Bisky (new)

I think its just so interesting to see whether the book that inspired you is actually the same genre as you write, or if you have adapted it in your own way :3

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) Hah, yeah, this absolutely is.

Although that said, Bret Easton Ellis and Chuck Palahniuk have been a massive influence on my writing too. Mostly for characters...the only thing is, the stuff influenced by them doesn't really make it to the finished product.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed the Shenandoah Sisters series by Michael Phillips. I wouldn't say reading them gave me the interest to freelance write. Reading his books, though, makes me pay close attention to book structure. He has a way of keeping my interest throughout the book.

message 10: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 169 comments I do a lot of review here at Goodreads and if you follow them you'll find that I read mostly Thrillers, so it shouldn't surprise you to find out that I write Thrillers. Growing up I read a whole bunch of comic books, mostly Marvel Comics, like Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four and Spiderman all of which are getting a resurgence as blockbuster movies now, which gives me a bit of vindication for feeling a little like a comic book geek growing up. From Comic books I jumped into Horror because Stephen King books were going crazy at the time, I deeply enjoyed Christine, Carrie, Firestarter, and The Dead Zone, but his best book to me will always be The Shining, that one really gets to the inner working of the basic fears that are buried in your mind, and it's the one book that really opened my mind up to the effect a novel can have on your ability to sleep at night and the desire never to go anywhere near the Overlook Hotel. Along those same line the next book that really influenced me was Peter Straub's Shadowland, which has some absolutely terrifying sequences in it that really struck home, mostly because the boys in it went to an all boys school with a very scary headmaster, which is something I did myself. And then there is The Keep by F. Paul Wilson, which is one of the scariest books I've ever read. My favorite writing quote comes from F. Paul Wilson where he says, "Most of the time when I read a book I get to the end and I think I could have done better", which is one of the reason I started writing in the first place, thinking I could do better than too much of what i was reading, but I couldn't imagine The Keep being any better than it actually was.
I know I'm supposed to mention a single book, but really my writing is the culmination of a whole bunch of reading. The three books above really showed me the extent to which books can elicit emotions within it's readers. More recently I find Authors like Chelsea Cain, Karin Slaughter, Lee Child, and James Rollins are my guides to how to engage readers, tell stories, and maintain an exaggerated interest in books from beginning to end.
Really I go off on my own tangents as a writer, but those divergent thoughts and processes find their roots in everything that I enjoy as a reader. I really agree with Stephen king when he said very simply, "If you want to write...read"

message 11: by Carl (new)

Carl Not a single author nor book has influenced me. That's because I'll change my writing style for the work's subject. Sarcastic characters in a satire get shorter sentences, clever wordplay, some profanity, and snark. Style in any piece that's Celtic nearly always defaults to elegant words, longer lyrical sentences, and more connections among vowel sounds. So: it depends.

message 12: by Bisky (new)

Most of the time when I read a book I get to the end and I think I could have done better", which is one of the reason I started writing in the first place

I thnk alot of writers start like that :3

message 13: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) Bisky wrote: "Most of the time when I read a book I get to the end and I think I could have done better", which is one of the reason I started writing in the first place

I thnk alot of writers start like that :3"

This. A thousand times this. Happened with at least two books I read just before publishing Godhead, and I just spent so much time rolling my eyes at them that I couldn't wait to finish, give out about what I'd have done differently/better, and then make sure that my own stuff didn't feature any of the things I was giving out about...

message 14: by David (new)

David (darev) R.L. Stine got me into writing so I can't overlook his Goosebumps series. Recently, it's been R.A. Salvatore's Legend of Drizzt Saga.

message 15: by Bisky (new)

Goosebumps was unforgettable really :p

message 16: by Bisky (new)

Aww thats lovely :]

message 17: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 169 comments This group cracks me up! Nearly everyone was influenced by a book that scared them. I'm so in the right spot, because if everyone listed romances I'd be running for the hills

message 18: by Bisky (new)

Oh but where would life be without alittle romance? ;]

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think I had a particular book that inspired me to write. But I will say that hearing Beverly Lewis's book structures have encouraged me. I do enjoy amish stories. My real love, though, is serene themes - lighthouses, beaches, bed & breakfast stories, etc.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry Rick that I didn't list a scary book!

message 21: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 169 comments Well if there wasn't romance there would be far fewer Shakespearean tragedies... :-)

message 22: by Bisky (new)

If I wrote a romance about my life I would call it:

A European Love Story

My dad would call it:

She Buggered Off With A Foreigner

message 23: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 169 comments Would that look anything Eurotrip the movie... because that was funny

message 24: by Bisky (new)

Never seen that... But it will probably involve more instant noodles and snow :p

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

All Quite on the Western Front - Remarque. This book is a huge influence. I don't write about war, but the way he could describe the way the character was feeling was intense. It was such raw, gritty imagery on the page. I sometimes get annoyed at writing that tries to make all feeling fluffy and cuddly. Depends on the story I guess, but in general no thanks! And yeah, I'd be lying if I said J.K Rowling didn't have an effect. Kind of the first book series (other than Goosebumps) that had me eager to read and read and read!!

message 26: by Bisky (new)

I agree!

Goosebumps keeps being mentioned lol :p But harry potter was an obsession for me :3