The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.6. Sandy's Task: General Education

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Aug 30, 2013 03:01PM) (new)

Sandy | 15608 comments Mod
25.6. Sandy's Task: General Education

When my children started college, I always enjoyed looking at the various general education requirements and thinking about the courses I would choose if I were doing it over. For this task, you will choose 2 different areas for your own "general education" requirements.

Each book must be non-fiction and at least 250 pages. No books with the genre "children" on the main page may be used for this task, regardless of length.

NOTE: ebooks without print versions cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages. If you read an ebook or audiobook use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition.

1. The Sciences and Mathematics.
Read a book with one of the following genres on its main page: science, nature, environment, technology, mathematics.

2. The Past.
Read a book with one of the following genres on its main page: history, biography, autobiography, memoir.

3. The Practical World.
Read a book with one of the following genres on its main page: economics, business, politics.

4. The World of Thought.
Read a book with one of the following genres on its main page: philosophy, religion.

5. The Social Sciences.
Read a book with one of the following genres on its main page: psychology, sociology, anthropology.

6. The Performing Arts.
Read a book with one of the following genres on its main page: dance, music, theatre, drama.

REQUIRED: Include in your post the options you chose, and the genre you used for each option.

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Reserved

message 4: by Sandy (new)

This thread is now open!

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments you're killing me with these non-fiction books Sandy! ;)

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Dee wrote: "you're killing me with these non-fiction books Sandy! ;)"

gotta broaden your horizons, Dee!

message 8: by Dee (last edited Aug 30, 2013 02:34PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments lol - I read plenty of non-fiction already ;) its called my job

and none of the ones i have to review for my blog right now work, that I can see...

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Aleksandra wrote: "Would they work
option 2My Berlin Kitchen: A Love Story (with Recipes)
option 4 Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth"

yes they would - both are over 250 pages, one has memoir, one has religion.

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Dee wrote: "since its been gathering dust - i'm going to do The Psychology of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: Understanding Lisbeth Salander and Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy (shelved as psych for option..."

sounds good!

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments and by gathering dust, I mean, I just wiped like 1/8" off the cover...the book has been sitting packed away in a box ;)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I am going to read:

1. Science- Stiff: the curious lives of human cadavers
5. Psychology- the psychopath test

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Delmy =^.^= wrote: "I am going to read:

1. Science- Stiff: the curious lives of human cadavers
5. Psychology- the psychopath test"

Those work. I really enjoyed Stiff.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Hope so, I tried reading "spook" and hated it, I hope "stiff" is better! :)

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 905 comments This is great! I've got two books I wanted to read for the Summer SRC and never found time:

Politics: An Atheist in the FOXhole: A Liberal's Eight-Year Odyssey Inside the Heart of the Right-Wing Media
Religion: Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible

message 17: by Ty (last edited Aug 30, 2013 04:23PM) (new)

Ty  | 563 comments my reads (if I can find a copy):

science: Inflight Science A Guide to the World From Your Airplane Window by Brian Clegg

psychology: Bonk The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach

(actually, can I get approval on the latter, since "psychology" miiiiight be bumped off the main page)

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Ty wrote: "my reads (if I can find a copy):

science: Inflight Science A Guide to the World From Your Airplane Window by Brian Clegg

psychology:[bookcover:Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex..."

you got it!

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Oooo, this will be fun. I'll be able to fit in some of my professional development books :D Thanks! *runs off to paw through her pile*

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Argh...many of the books I want to use (or that'd be useful for my job) don't have any genre listings, even though they fit. Oh, well! I'm gonna end up with more than enough professional development hours no problem.

Anyway, I'd like to use The Autistic Brain: Thinking Across the Spectrum for psychology, and Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's for autobiography/memoir.

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments I ran into that as well Ms Anderson...found some great ones and no genres :( or just a generic non-fiction

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments For approval:
Option 2 - The Case for Christ (history on the main page)
Option 4 - The Case for Faith: A Journalist Investigates the Toughest Objections to Christianity (religion on the main page)

Both are also shelved as Non-Fiction

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Ms Anderson wrote: "Argh...many of the books I want to use (or that'd be useful for my job) don't have any genre listings, even though they fit. Oh, well! I'm gonna end up with more than enough professional developmen..."

those look good.

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Kathryn CA wrote: "For approval:
Option 2 - The Case for Christ (history on the main page)
Option 4 - The Case for Faith: A Journalist Investigates the Toughest Objections to Christianity (religion on the main page)
..."

Those work.

message 25: by Angela (new)

Angela | 409 comments I love non-fiction, so great task Sandy!

Option 1: The Upside of Irrationality The Unexpected Benefits of Defying Logic at Work and at Home by Dan Ariely for Science

Option 5: You Are Now Less Dumb How to Conquer Mob Mentality, How to Buy Happiness, and All the Other Ways to Outsmart Yourself by David McRaney for Psychology

message 27: by Sandy (new)

Angela wrote: "I love non-fiction, so great task Sandy!

Option 1: The Upside of Irrationality The Unexpected Benefits of Defying Logic at Work and at Home by Dan Ariely for Science

Option 5:[bookcover:..."

thanks, Angela!

Both of these work, and actually both work for a number of the options. I have enjoyed everything Ariely has written.

message 28: by Sandy (new)

Bea wrote: "Option 1: science - Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith and Love

Option 2: biography - Rolling Thunder"

Looks good, Bea!

message 29: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 866 comments Love this task!

message 30: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 780 comments I've found several good books already too. Now to narrow it down!

message 31: by Kate S (new)

Kate S For option 2, I would like to read Jim Henson: The Biography. It has enough pages and currently only has biography, non-fiction, and memoir on its genre list. I could see "childrens" be added to it at some point in the future. Can I get this book approved? Or if in the future "children" gets added, is this book no longer allowed?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2962 comments Would The House of Medici Its Rise and Fall by Christopher Hibbert work for the performing art option?

message 33: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3364 comments I'm checking to see if The Wages Of Spin
works for option 3 It has politics listed and I have the copy with this ISBN listed which has 259 pages, but the page count is not listed on this page

message 34: by Sandy (new)

Kate S wrote: "For option 2, I would like to read Jim Henson: The Biography. It has enough pages and currently only has biography, non-fiction, and memoir on its genre list. I could see "childrens" be added to ..."

sure, it's approved.

message 35: by Sandy (last edited Aug 31, 2013 02:29PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Would The House of Medici Its Rise and Fall by Christopher Hibbert work for the performing art option?"

no, it doesn't have any of the required genres listed.

ETA: not the required genres for the performing arts option.

message 36: by Sandy (new)

Andy wrote: "I'm checking to see if The Wages Of Spin
works for option 3 It has politics listed and I have the copy with this ISBN listed which has 259 pages, but the page count is not listed on this page"

There's a hardback edition in GR with 261 pages, so it's pretty clearly long enough. I'd ask a librarian to add the page info for you to the edition you have.

message 37: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Sandy wrote: "Kate S wrote: "For option 2, I would like to read Jim Henson: The Biography. It has enough pages and currently only has biography, non-fiction, and memoir on its genre list. I could see "children..."

Thank you, Sandy.

message 38: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3364 comments Sandy wrote: "Andy wrote: "I'm checking to see if The Wages Of Spin
works for option 3 It has politics listed and I have the copy with this ISBN listed which has 259 pages, but the page count is not listed on t..."

Thanks

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2962 comments Would Gypsy Memoirs of America's Most Celebrated Stripper by Gypsy Rose Lee work for dance or theater?

message 40: by Sandy (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Would Gypsy Memoirs of America's Most Celebrated Stripper by Gypsy Rose Lee work for dance or theater?"

theatre is one of the listed genres, so it works.

message 41: by Sandy (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Would The House of Medici Its Rise and Fall by Christopher Hibbert work for the performing art option?"

doesn't work for performing arts, but it does have history and biography as genres, so would work for that option.

message 42: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3364 comments Sandy wrote: "Andy wrote: "I'm checking to see if The Wages Of Spin
works for option 3 It has politics listed and I have the copy with this ISBN listed which has 259 pages, but the page count is not listed on t..."

I got my friendly librarian a.k.a. my daughter to fix the page problem for me.

message 43: by Sandy (new)

Andy wrote: "I got my friendly librarian a.k.a. my daughter to fix the page problem for me.
..."

It's certainly lovely to have daughters, LOL!

message 44: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "Hope so, I tried reading "spook" and hated it, I hope "stiff" is better! :)"

Delmy, I liked Stiff better than Spook. Just don't read the first chapter while eating.

message 45: by Vi (new)

Vi | 185 comments Can I have the following two approved?

Science/History: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Science/History/Religion: Why Evolution Is True

This task will help me take these two off my TBR (hopefully!)

message 46: by Sandy (new)

Vi wrote: "Can I have the following two approved?

Science/History: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Science/History/Religion: Why Evolution Is True

This task will help me take these two off my TBR (hope..."

sure

message 47: by Marscha (new)

Marscha (mysterymb) | 407 comments Can I get Petite Anglaise approved for option 2?

message 48: by Sandy (new)

Marscha wrote: "Can I get Petite Anglaise approved for option 2?"

sure

Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) LOL I must give it to you Sandy...I can count on you to come up with tasks requiring the types of books I don't like,struggle with or end up in my DNF pile :) I think I am going to pass on this task! I just can't stay focused on non-fiction when I am reading for fun....it puts me to sleep.
It's a good task though for those who enjoy non-fiction.

« previous 1