Ravelry Knitters discussion

Technique and Pattern Books > Most recent knitting book purchase?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
So what book have your purchased most recently, knitters, and what book do you want the most?

I've recently acquired Botanical Knits by Alana Dakos, and I'm eyeing The Knitters Curiosity Cabinet (1 or 2) the next time I have money burning a hole in my pocket.

message 2: by Isabel (new)

Isabel | 81 comments I haven't purchased a knitting book in quite a while, I've been borrowing from the library the books that are more main-stream publishers. I definitely have the Curiosity Cabinet books on my wish list though! My wish list is much, much too long.

message 3: by CatBookMom (last edited Aug 30, 2013 06:37PM) (new)

CatBookMom My latest isn't knitting, it's crocheting, bought just for one gorgeous shawl. There's a knitter at Ravelry who has made several of this one beautiful adaptation of pineapples, and I couldn't stand not having the pattern any longer. Amazing Crochet Lace: New Fashions Inspired by Old-Fashioned Lace

At this point, with over 100 knitting/crochet books on my shelves, there aren't too many I MUST have. I still think that Montse Stanley's Knitter's handbook is a key reference, along with Barbara Walker's stitch dictionaries, and Margaret Radcliffe's The Knitting Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask for toting in my knitting bag when I'm away from home for extended periods/traveling.

message 4: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
Isabel, I hear ya! I hate that something like the smaller press knitting books won't be showing up at the library any time soon. With the budget cuts in my area, I think I'm just glad they buy a dozen books a year in knitting!

CatBookMom, I've done that - bought a book just for one pattern I'm completely obsessed with! You sounds a bit more like a process book buyer than a pattern book buyer, so the occasional splurge won't kill you! I'll have to go peek at that pineapple shawl...I can only crochet a border around a baby blanket, so I know it will look like greek to me, but I always like to look!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 153 comments Got Northern Knits for my birthday a little while ago.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Michael | 5 comments I've decided that I'm going to spend the next year learning new techniques and honing my knitting skills and recently completed our Northeast Ohio Yarn Discovery Tour of 17 shops. Along with quite a few skeins of yarn, I purchased 3 books to help me with my quest:

Knit Notes: Explore*Design*Create by Nadine Curtis
Folk Style by Mags Kandis
Tunisian Crochet by Dora Ohrenstein

I'm anxious to get started!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

My most recent knitting book purchase arrived today, "Knits Men Want". Knowing what to knit for the men in my life is my biggest problem. Last Christmas was a dud. After quickly browsing through this book, I think I know why.

My second to last book purchase was "Needles and Artifice". Both of these books have patterns on my to-do list. One because it solves the problem of what to knit for men, and the other because it ups the fun factor when knitting for the more adventurous, brave, and discerning women in my life.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (suddenexpression) | 9 comments Kathryn I think I'm going to have to look at Knits Men Want. I still owe him something for last year but he has given me no direction.

My last purchase was Mom And Me Knits which is full of highly adorable knits. Mostly sweaters. And French Girl Knits Accessories. I seriously want to make all the things in that one!

message 9: by TIFFANY (new)

TIFFANY ANDERSON (miss5elements) | 30 comments I'm with Laura, Kathryn. I'm intrigued by Knits Men Want. My youngest brother wants a funky hat & my best idea is a hat with ear flaps & "manly" pompoms.

I currently have Ocean Breezes:Knitted Scarves Inspired by the Sea on loan from the library. I'm trying to answer what to knit for people who live in the tropics?

message 10: by Isabel (new)

Isabel | 81 comments Cindy:

"Northeast Ohio Yarn Discovery Tour"

This sounds like a wonderful thing! I wish every state had one. Wouldn't that make a good holiday??

message 11: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
Tiffany wrote: "I'm with Laura, Kathryn. I'm intrigued by Knits Men Want. My youngest brother wants a funky hat & my best idea is a hat with ear flaps & "manly" pompoms.

I currently have Ocean Breezes:Knitted Sc..."

Tiffany, I saw that book advertised on KnitPicks...looks lovely for warmer climes. Those "Knitting in the Sun" books were good too!

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin Fanning | 20 comments Hi all, I'm new to the group... And have a fun (and frivolous) book to recommend: Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett--a picture book for all ages and knitters (non-knitters too!).

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Erin, welcome to our quiet because we're busy finishing Christmas knitting group (or so I imagine). I've purchased that book as a Christmas gift for a granddaughter after reading great reviews. Biting my nails, hoping it gets here in time...

message 14: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Erin wrote: "Hi all, I'm new to the group... And have a fun (and frivolous) book to recommend: Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett--a picture book for all ages and knitters (non-knitters too!)."

I have it borrowed from my library right now!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 153 comments I hope I have a new knitting book under the tree; my father usually gives me one.

Anyway, the last knitting book I bought was Paintbox Knits: More Than 30 Designs for Kids, which has a lot of patterns I really like, and for that age gap between 18 months and 6 years, where I often can't find many patterns.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 153 comments Yay, there was a knitting book under the tree for me: Power Cables, by Lily Chin.

message 17: by Erin (new)

Erin Fanning | 20 comments I came across this article this morning... File it under "stranger than fiction": "Now you can Knit Your Own Kama Sutra--The naughty knitting guide is the work of Geraldine Warner, who wrote it under the pseudonum Trixie von Purl." http://web.orange.co.uk/article/quirk...