ACIM Reading Room discussion

What are your biggest blocks to getting the most out of ACIM?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie | 9 comments I have tried to get a response from Reja with no luck so I would like to start the ball rolling with a new thread. Could I start by asking what you all think are the biggest blocks to getting the most out of ACIM? I am going through a move of home at the moment and it's bringing all sorts of challenges up, but I seem to forget the principles at key moments. What do you all do to keep yourself aligned in tricky circumstances?

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy Daliege | 4 comments I struggle with not being able to get to a course in miracles class on a regular basis because of my husbands work schedule and my sons activities. It is harder to be self disciplined and do the course daily when you are not checking in with anyone. Maybe we could get a group online going that could keep each other accountable? It is so easy to get off track! Soon, I start just "reacting" to everything instead of asking the Holy Spirit what I should do.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 9 comments I think that's a great idea Amy. Hopefully we can attract a group together, but if not then we can support each other in any event. Namaste.

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie | 9 comments Amy, please also see the thread that Fay has set up. We are planning on setting up a separate group because Reja is the moderator of this site and we can't get a reply from her. Watch this space, as they say. I'm getting excited about this!

message 5: by Suzann (new)

Suzann (suzannkale) Julie wrote: "I have tried to get a response from Reja with no luck so I would like to start the ball rolling with a new thread. Could I start by asking what you all think are the biggest blocks to getting the m..."

Dearest Julie --- Great question - what do people do to keep aligned during chaotic times. I've found that starting each day with coffee and turning to a random page in ACIM is helpful. Almost always, the "random" page is exactly what I need for that day. Sometimes it's from the Workbook, other times from the Text. It doesn't take much time, but I try to write a passage or reminder from it in my notebook (that I keep in my purse) and refer to it during the day as needed.
Hope this helps...
Suzann

message 6: by Suzann (new)

Suzann (suzannkale) Amy wrote: "I struggle with not being able to get to a course in miracles class on a regular basis because of my husbands work schedule and my sons activities. It is harder to be self disciplined and do the co..."

Hi Amy! I would love to be part of a group that you might set up.
Namaste, Suzann

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie | 9 comments Hi Suzann,
Thanks for the tip. Things are getting really hectic for me now and I'll give your advice a go. Our new club is ACIM- Reading, Discussing, Forgiving - we hope to see you there soon.

message 8: by Suzann (new)

Suzann (suzannkale) Awesome, Julie, thank you - the group sounds great!

Suzann

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie | 12 comments I'd love to be part of a discussion group. I find this book challenging and would appreciate sharing insight with others.

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (catinmylap) | 7 comments Julie, it seems this group isn't very active anymore, but if you search on Facebook there are several ACIM discussion groups there.

Julie wrote: "I'd love to be part of a discussion group. I find this book challenging and would appreciate sharing insight with others."

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie | 12 comments I do not use Facebook. Any other suggestions. Thanks.

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (catinmylap) | 7 comments Julie wrote: "I do not use Facebook. Any other suggestions. Thanks." Sorry, no. I don't like Facebook much either, but that's the only place I've found active ACIM groups. Maybe someone else can respond with other possibilities.

But while I'm here, are you reading the text now? I started it in August or September of 2013, finished last year (had a few stops and starts). I will likely read it again and again. I'm currently on Lesson 257 of the Workbook, hope to finish around Jan 9.

Studying the Course has significantly changed how I perceive and respond to my life. It's not always easy. But it does help me see things differently. I've made a commitment to it and that makes a big difference.

I highly recommend Kenneth Wapnick's writings about ACIM.

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie | 12 comments I have read one of Kenneth Wapnick's books. I'm not up to the lessons yet, but getting close. I'm finding the text hard to absorb.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (catinmylap) | 7 comments Julie wrote: "I have read one of Kenneth Wapnick's books. I'm not up to the lessons yet, but getting close. I'm finding the text hard to absorb." Yes, it is difficult, in some places more than others. Once you get to the lessons, though, I think it becomes a bit clearer, and the lessons repeat things over different lessons in slightly different language. I am finding using K. Wapnick's Journey Through the Workbook has helped me a lot. It's an expensive set, but if you start to have difficulty once you get to the workbook, you might consider investing in that. For me it has made all the difference.

message 15: by Ramon (last edited Nov 07, 2015 01:09PM) (new)

Ramon | 17 comments Biggest Blocks? There are no blocks.

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie | 12 comments Ramon wrote: "Biggest Blocks? There are are no blocks."
Perhaps not for you, but I have found it a very complex book to read.

message 17: by Ramon (new)

Ramon | 17 comments Blocks are a created thing. Therefore, if you can create them, then you can UN-create them. ACIM was not hard to read once I understood that we sabotage our own understanding.

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (catinmylap) | 7 comments Julie, don't expect to understand it perfectly the first time through. It was striving for perfect understanding that stalled me in the text and again in the workbook lessons. They aren't going to sink in perfectly the first time through. We have a lot of resistance. Kenneth Wapnick's ENDING OUR RESISTANCE TO LOVE goes into this in depth, as do some of the workbook lessons. You'll understand better as you go along.

message 19: by Julie (new)

Julie | 12 comments Thank you. I was going to read the Teacher's Manual before doing the lessons. What do you recommend.

message 20: by Ramon (new)

Ramon | 17 comments If your asking me, Julie, I suggest that you start trusting your own self. Right or wrong, it beats standing still. Plus, I've learned that following others isn't the same as finding your own path. Trusting one's own self is strongly urged.

message 21: by Julie (new)

Julie | 12 comments Thank you, but I don't understand how this relates to ACIM. I'm not criticizing, it's just that I've found if very difficult to grasp the teachings of the book.

message 22: by Ramon (last edited Nov 08, 2015 11:44AM) (new)

Ramon | 17 comments Your statement "I've found it very difficult to grasp the teachings of the book" is an error in your own thinking. If you tell yourself you can't, then who are we to say that you can? We could say that 'you can' but it would still require you to believe that you can.

ACIM states: "The purpose of the Atonement is to restore EVERYTHING to you; or rather, to restore it to your AWARENESS. You were GIVEN everything when you were created, just as everyone was. When you have been restored to the recognition of your original state, you naturally become part of the Atonement yourself. As you share MY inability to tolerate lack of love in yourself and others, you MUST join the Great Crusade to correct it. The slogan for the Crusade is “ Listen, learn, and DO;” – Listen to my voice, learn to undo error, and DO something to correct it." Chapter 1, Principles of Miracles, paragraph 26.

Julie, this is straight out of the book. It clearly states that you were given everything. The problem is that you 'lack' - or you think you lack - the awareness of that which you already have.

So, there are two voices here. One voice says that you already have everything. This is clearly not the voice that you are listening to. The voice that you seem to be listening to is the one that tells you that this is difficult. More over, you really believe that this is difficult.

The remedy here is to listen to the voice that says that you do have everything. Then start working on the belief part. Saying that you can't does not work towards that goal. Believe that you can instead of believing that you can't. Even in the face of your own doubt - just say 'I do believe.' Deny your disbelief. Practice makes perfect.

I know that it's hard to believe that you have everything. So does everybody else - even those of us who have read this book. Are we going to let that fact stop you? It didn't stop me. I only think it's hard to believe. Anything I can THINK, I can UN-think. Or counter it with its opposite. I can believe, I will believe, I do believe.

message 23: by Julie (new)

Julie | 12 comments Thank you so much. Your response is very helpful and puts things in a clearer perspective for me. I've been getting caught up in the words as they are written rather than what they are saying.

message 24: by Ramon (new)

Ramon | 17 comments You are most welcome, Julie.

message 25: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (catinmylap) | 7 comments Julie wrote: "Thank you. I was going to read the Teacher's Manual before doing the lessons. What do you recommend."

The Teacher's Manual isn't that long, and it could probably be read/studied simultaneously with no problem. I chose to do the workbook first, but I have also read some of the Teachers Manual here and there - it's set up like a series of essays. So it probably doesn't matter.

message 26: by Julie (new)

Julie | 12 comments Ramon wrote: "You are most welcome, Julie."
Before I chose to read ACIM, I read reviews in which people wrote that reading it changed their lives. What is you opinion of this?

I read books written by Marianne Williamson and that is how I how I learned of ACIM. Many of her books site quotes from ACIM.

message 27: by Ramon (last edited Nov 08, 2015 02:42PM) (new)

Ramon | 17 comments Hmmm. I've never heard of Marianne Williamson until I found Goodreads. I'll have to do some research and see if her books have any interest for me.

In my experience, I usually don't rely much on other people. I mean, I may read about their experiences, but that is not the voice I would necessarily listen to.

I found ACIM laying in a book rack. I looked at it. Then I started going through some of the pages. It didn't take long for me to decide that I must read this. I could not stop. For the next year and four months, ACIM dominated my reading time.

Of course, I have read hundreds of books and I am well versed in many. ACIM was altogether different.
I was never to be the same again.

message 28: by Ramon (new)

Ramon | 17 comments Anybody in this group can feel free to add me as a friend.