Small Government Book Fan Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 263 comments Bradley Manning, despite all physical evidence to the contrary, now insists that he's really a woman and wants to be known as Chelsea Manning. In deference to this stated wish, I will now refer to this character simply as 'Personning', with no gender labels attached.
'Dungeons And Dragons' came out forty years ago. The early versions of it were rough and incomplete, but there was nothing else like it. I enjoyed the game myself for over twenty years, both as a player and as a referee (the early designation for Dungeonmaster/Gamemaster). My sons currently play various MMORPG versions of role-playing games, and never have to see any of the other players in person. To me, this lack of direct interaction is not a selling point, but that's just my own preference.
So, what does any of this have to do with Personning? Well, it struck me only recently that Personning seems to be playing another version of D&D and ventured into a fantasy world. It's a flight from reality. Personning might just as easily have claimed to be a 20th Level High Elf Wizard, for all the practical, real-world effect it would have had.
And yet, somehow, some people appear to be willing to go along with this fantasy, take it seriously, and Write Seriously about gender roles and the like. Well, for decades some have taught that there's no such thing as objective reality, and that everything is all about the Narrative. While all Narratives may be considered equal in a world without objective reality, people still tend to cling to their favorite Narrative as the One True Narrative as tenaciously as any old-time religious fanatic clung to the One True Faith.
Say what one might about fantasy role-playing gamers, whether old-school or on line, those people can tell the difference between the world that they live in and the imaginary one that they visit to have fun in.

message 2: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather | 308 comments I like what Frank J. Fleming said at the time:

"I don't think you actually get to choose your gender. It's assigned at conception or something."

message 3: by Jack (new)

Jack (jackjuly) | 254 comments Greyweather wrote: "I like what Frank J. Fleming said at the time:

"I don't think you actually get to choose your gender. It's assigned at conception or something.""

I'm going to respectfully disagree on this one. I have an SIL and a few gay male friends, one of which was my first skydiving instructor. I'm not real shy about asking questions so I asked more than one of them, why? The answer was always the same. They knew they were different starting in grade school. They lived the life everyone expected but it never seemed right. I'm ok with it. There are more genetic differences between individuals than we can ever imagine. However, I do not want it thrown in my face, paraded as something exceptional nor am I willing to finance any sort of sex reassignment surgery for anyone, imprisoned or not. I always thought it was important to love people for who they are, not for what you want them to be. At the same time, I value respect and digression.

message 4: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 263 comments Personning is not asserting a sexual orientation, but claiming to be a woman and demanding to be treated and regarded as such while possessing only male equipment.