SLCLS Genre Study discussion

Kids' Fantasies > Children's Urban/Low Fantasy?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann | 38 comments With the often more adult themes of urban and low fantasy there is little in the way of juvenile literature in these subgenres. What are some titles that you might recommend children’s urban or low fantasy?

message 2: by Marinda (last edited Oct 01, 2013 08:01PM) (new)

Marinda (marindak) | 39 comments Catherine Jinks has written a JF series of paranormal books called Allie's Ghost Hunters. The first book in the series is Eglantine. I spook easily, but really enjoyed the first few books in this series (I read all that had been published at that point, there are more now).

message 3: by Marinda (last edited Oct 04, 2013 04:16PM) (new)

Marinda (marindak) | 39 comments I would call Dying To Meet You, the first book in the 43 Old Cemetery Road series, a mystery. But it definitely has elemetes of low fantasy. One of the main characters is a ghost for example. It looks like there are 5 books in the series now (I've only read the first 2). These books are great for readers who like a puzzle. There is no "story" to read in these books, instead the events of the story arc are described completly by letters, newspaper articles, police reports, maps, pictures, etc.
PS: Not scarry at all.

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Shidler | 25 comments I don't know if it would be considered fantasy or not but there's always the book series by Psudonym Bosh starting with "The name of this book is secret" perhaps it's a good starter into fantasy

message 5: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Shidler | 25 comments Here's another good suggestion. Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. Definitely low fantasy and great for kids to get started on! (But only if they read it in the right order :D)

message 6: by Marinda (last edited Oct 10, 2013 11:49AM) (new)

Marinda (marindak) | 39 comments I would consider The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis to be high fantasy because of the world building element. I didn't read it as a child; but as a teenager, I loved it and read the whole series. I think I started with The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and finsihed with The Magician's Nephew.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann | 38 comments Interesting debate on the low/high fantasy question for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. When they’re in the real world I can definitely see the argument for low fantasy, but in Narnia the setting has a more high fantasy feel--hum...

Don't know where I fall on this one.

message 8: by Nora (new)

Nora (norawb) | 23 comments I think Holly Webb's Rose & Lily books qualify as low fantasy, as do the majority of E. Nesbit's books & Diane Duane's Wizard books.