What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Firestar (Families War Cycle, #1)
This topic is about Firestar
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Science fiction The Family War Series [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nio (new)

Nio | 5 comments Hello...first time posting here..I read about this series on another forum, I asked the author of the post about it but he never replied..since then I have been looking for a series by that name but with no luck..I just know it is science fiction genre..thanks in advance...

message 2: by Westcoast_girl (new)

Westcoast_girl | 157 comments Jack Elliott Myers is the first name that comes up on a Worldcat search

message 3: by Nio (new)

Nio | 5 comments Thanks..I checked and he is a poet so unfortunately he is not my guy :(

message 4: by Serendi (last edited Aug 30, 2013 12:14PM) (new)

Serendi Maybe Charles Stross's The Merchant Princes series?

From Wikipedia: "The Merchant Princes is a series in which some humans have an ability to travel between parallel Earths, which have differing levels of technology. This series is science fiction, even though it was originally marketed by the publisher as fantasy. The first three books were collectively nominated for and won the Sidewise Award for Alternate History in 2007."

The first is The Family Trade; the entire series is being reissued (has been in the UK, I think); Stross has put it back to more what he wanted it to be, and is writing a second series.

Alternatively, there's Elizabeth Moon's Vatta's War series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatta%27...), which starts with Trading in Danger. This is military SF.

If neither of those, do you have any more information about the series?

message 5: by Nio (new)

Nio | 5 comments sadly i have no more info about this series..I am now pretty sure that the name of the series(Family wars)is not accurate...it could be The Merchant Princes series since it kind of matches the description on some type of family confrontation..thanks much for help..

message 6: by Serendi (last edited Aug 30, 2013 12:55PM) (new)

Serendi One of the Stross books is The Merchants' War, which I think is what made me think of it; all sorts of family stuff with at least some war. Haven't read it yet; plan to when the reissue is reissued.

message 7: by Daffodil (last edited Aug 30, 2013 01:02PM) (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 121 comments Are you sure it was strictly SF. Michelle West has a fantasy series called The House War

The Hidden City (The House War, #1) by Michelle West City of Night (The House War, #2) by Michelle West House Name (The House War, #3) by Michelle West Skirmish (The House War, #4) by Michelle West Battle (The House War, #5) by Michelle West

message 8: by Nio (last edited Aug 30, 2013 04:13PM) (new)

Nio | 5 comments well..the forum i got the info from was dedicated to space opera/military science fiction...thanks for suggestion, it seems a very good series..

message 9: by Nio (new)

Nio | 5 comments I finally found this series...it is called "The Families War" by Bruce Bretthauer...it looks good,I will read them as soon as I finish the Foreigner series..

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Firestar is the first in the series.