City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion


105 views
For all you MOVIE HATERS...

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marianne I did not hate the movie but I was not amazed by it either. I felt it was rushed and did not get to see or feel the interaction between characters that you see in the book.

I almost wished they would of turned it into a TV series instead of a movie.


Marie I loved the movie :) The reason it was rushed is because it's hard to fit 500 pages into 2 hours :/ They did a really good job though and the movie was quite long :P


Sydney Robinson I LOVED the movie! It was REALLY good. And funny too. I like the action parts the most. Very actiony. My rating, 5 stars out of 5. I loved the book too. Now I'm on the 2nd one. Half way done! Love this series. Can't wait for City of Ashes next year!


Amber I Loved the movie! It was fast paced but not too fast. There was a lot to put into a 2hr movie from the book. I thought the producers did an excellent job. I don't understand why a lot of people are nit picking at every little detail that was changed. Book to movie adaptations are going to have changes, its inevitable.

Anyway loved the movie can't wait for City of Ashes!


Sydney Robinson Amber wrote: "I Loved the movie! It was fast paced but not too fast. There was a lot to put into a 2hr movie from the book. I thought the producers did an excellent job. I don't understand why a lot of people ar..."

I don't understand why people think that a few detail changes are bad either. I mean, come on, they can't expect every single detail to be the same. Seriously.


message 6: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth You want to know why I HATED the movie? I'll tell you why. Halfway through, it completely abandoned its source material.

Where is the suspense of finding out if Jace really is Clary's brother? Gone because the movie already told you it was a lie. Why the producers/writers were so scared of the incest issue I can't fathom. They don't KNOW when they start to have feelings for each other and feelings take TIME to go away. The books sold just fine. The original fanbase had no problem with that issue. Being squeamish about it was an insult to the book/storyline.

Clary has the mortal cup. How the hell is Valentine supposed to start his war when he doesn't have even ONE of the Mortal Instruments? Speaking of Valentine, Jace didn't REMEMBER he was his father because he had a memory block on him too? Well, bye bye to all Jace's conflict about having to turn his back on his father for the rest of the series. Oh and telling us right away that Valentine was doing experiments? So many spoilers in a movie based on a first book. My friend had only read the first one and I had to apologize to her for all the things they revealed. If I had known, I would have had her read through the 3rd one.

Magnus. Boring for every second he was on screen. Fascinating on every page. Boring on screen. Need I say more?

Revealing Simon's vampire bite when that doesn't become an issue until halfway through City of Ashes. Leaving out Raphael who is such a big part of Simon's vampire journey.

Showing us Clary's mom getting kidnapped, having her comatose body be in the INSTITUTE of all places? Having the end battle happen at the Institute where demons are never ever supposed to get in? Randomly showing Hodge's bird to keep the kiss scene like the book and then never showing the bird again?

I won't go on. As a disclaimer, I will say I don't expect movies to be just like the books. I know they have to change things, leave some things out, but this was a horrible adaptation. It is. And that's why it's bombing at the box office. Even the 1st Twilight movie is better than this. And that's the worst one of all of them. Even my friend, who doesn't love the books as much as I do, was mad at all the changes.

To continue the nitpicking, did Clary's hair ever seem red to you? And when you read Jace's dialogue in the book, do you hear it in a monotone dry voice? Sarcasm doesn't mean you say things without expression.

It isn't a good movie. It's an even worse adaptation. It only scores points with me for the fight scene at the hotel, that part was cool, how the institute looked, and for the most part the kiss scene with Jace and Clary. That's it. The rest of it...I will be perfectly happy never EVER seeing it again and just reading the books.


Amber Beth wrote: "You want to know why I HATED the movie? I'll tell you why. Halfway through, it completely abandoned its source material.

Where is the suspense of finding out if Jace really is Clary's brother? Go..."


I do agree with you on the Magnus Bane part. He was definitely not what I pictured and needed to be more flamboyant.

I also agree that it wasn't a brilliant move to allow demons into the institute where it is consecrated ground and shouldn't be able to set foot.

I was also extremely irritated that Valentine didn't get the cup in the end and was astonished that they did change that part as wildly as they did.

There were some major changes and at first I was P*** off about them. Then I realized I was I was expecting it to be exactly like the book. I ignored the book(as best i could) and realized the movie did a good job on its own in my opinion.

Of course this is just my opinion and not everyone will agree and that is okay. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion.


Mariana I didn't hate it, but I could see why some people would.


message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 30, 2013 12:59PM) (new)

I know everyone has their own opinion but come on. I genuinely enjoyed that movie (and not because I'm a total TMI fangirl).

I think people are basing it on the book too much. They're not taking into a fact that they're are some things that are physically not possible to do unless you're somehow sucked into book and are suddenly apart of the Shadowhunter world (How awesome would that be!!!)

The directors only got a certain time frame for the movie so they obviously had to miss some things out. The whole Simon turning into a rat was a big event but it would be confusing to people who haven't read the book. And then there's the actors. I think it's safe to say Jace Wayland/Lightwood/Morgenstern/Herondale (Pick one) is just too good to be true. Even some-one as gorgeous as Alex Pettyfer would pale in comparison to Jace. So, don't go hating on Jamie. He was pretty damn good as Jace.

The movie was good. People are just too set on the book to realise it.


Sydney Robinson Megan wrote: "I know everyone has their own opinion but come on. I genuinely enjoyed that movie (and not because I'm a total TMI fangirl).

I think people are basing it on the book too much. They're not taking i..."

I know. I kept thinking the same thing. It's like impossible to keep everything the same. I hate it when people think that if you change one thing the movie will be bad. But they only change because they can't fit it in with the time, it's impossible to do, or it would look kind of stupid. Sometimes they just don't have a choice.


LAJones Beth wrote: "You want to know why I HATED the movie? I'll tell you why. Halfway through, it completely abandoned its source material.

Where is the suspense of finding out if Jace really is Clary's brother? Go..."


that is exactly how I feel and I agree with you so much


Janhavi♥herondale It was actually really fun to watch...i guess the key to watching YA movies is to as open minded as you can be...i do agree there was changes in the 2nd half of the movie..but overall i thought it captured most of the important parts of the book..i cant wait to see how they make the 2nd movie after all the critics and opinion of the 1st movie.


Sydney Robinson Thank you.


message 14: by Arden (new) - added it

Arden IKR? I was pleasantly surprised with how it all turned out! people are freaking over not a lot!

thanks for this :D


Koleen Hansen September 1, 20013
To whom may concern:
I was pleasantly pleased with the film.
I thought was great fun to watch. and I feel that what movie should be they should fun I look at a movie based on a book like a different interpretation I am aware they cant be one hundred percent accurate because of factors like time, some thing are hard to translate to film.
best regards.


Shira I already talked about this in another thread but I think the point that a lot of people are missing is the fact that many of those who disliked the movie didn't only dislike the movie because it was unlike the book. That was one of the reasons. Moreover, people disliked the movie because a lot of the parts didn't make any sense according to the book and according to the movie by itself. There was a lot of stuff missing that gave the books their quirky appeal, like Jace's humor and confidence and Magnus's flamboyance and wit. It wasn't just that the movie disregarded parts of the book; it was that the parts that were disregarded were what made the books special in the first place.


Ninia Cataag Marianne wrote: "I did not hate the movie but I was not amazed by it either. I felt it was rushed and did not get to see or feel the interaction between characters that you see in the book.

I almost wished they..."
I totally agree with you Marianne. At first, I was excited to go to the movies but at least its not really bad its only good not really the best as i expected. it is good for a first movie. I guess books are always better plus i dont like the part where there is not enough love connection between Jace and Clary in the movie plus I hated Valentine in the movie way worse than the book. I really expected the Luke and Valentine fight but its not there :(


back to top