We love Nevil Shute discussion

Nevil Shute
This topic is about Nevil Shute
If you like Shute, you will like...

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomasathogglestock) | 6 comments Do any of you Shute fans have other authors that you like that remind you of Shute or that you think Shute fans would also like?

message 2: by Sybil (new)

Sybil Powell (sybilpowell) | 5 comments Difficult question Thomas for myself I only read Shute and non fiction.

message 3: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomasathogglestock) | 6 comments Sybil, so maybe you might actual welcome some fiction that ticked your boxes like Shute does? One that just occurs to me is Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. It is a huge book and is set in the 1990s and WWII era. Code breaking, transoceanic cable laying, jungles, lots of ingenuity. Might be worth a glance.

message 4: by Sybil (new)

Sybil Powell (sybilpowell) | 5 comments Thomas wrote: "Sybil, so maybe you might actual welcome some fiction that ticked your boxes like Shute does? One that just occurs to me is Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. It is a huge book and is set in the 19..." Thanks Thomas I'll look it over always nice to get a recommendation

message 5: by David (new)

David Dennington | 3 comments A friend of mine, who is a Shute fan commented yesterday about other writers who write in Nevil Shute's style (he accuses me of doing that);
"R F Delderfield would be another candidate after - my second favourite after NS, (whoops! Should have said 3rd favourite after Nevil Shute and you - too late now!). Although he is best known for his family sagas he also wrote some single novels that were of a similar style to NS. H E Bates, Nicholas Monsarrat and Howard Spring might also be worth considering."

message 6: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomasathogglestock) | 6 comments Thanks David. Always good to know. I recently read a British Library Classic Crime novel 12:30 from Croydon by Freeman Wills Croft. It was a murder mystery, but it reminded me very much of Shute. Many chapters about the murderer's failing business and all he did to try and save it. Also, Eric Ambler's A Passage of Arms, although more of a spy novel had definite Shutian overtones.

message 7: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Day | 2 comments I would agree with all of David's suggestions - I may be the fiend he was quoting! I would add Dick Francis. All of his stories are set in the UK Horse Racing Industry however, you don't need to know too much about it to enjoy his stories. His characters have very similar properties to those of NS; being ordinary and not unexpected to be heroes.

message 8: by David (new)

David Dennington | 3 comments This month, I will be publishing The Airshipmen Trilogy. Nevil Shute is one of the main characters in the story and one of my favorites. He was a great inspiration to me all my life--an amazing man. This trilogy is a tribute to him and to the many other incredible brave men and women involved. I had published The Airshipmen previously and it was well received with many great reviews on Goodreads and Amazon. Some complained it was too big a novel and urged me to republish it as a three-part series which I am now doing. What makes it different though, is that each of the three volumes has forty or fifty photos from that era which readers can follow along. This special edition of The Airshipmen Trilogy also commemorates the 100 year anniversary of the loss of British American airship R38/ZR-2 which went down in flames into the River Humber near Hull. Readers have paid me the huge compliment of comparing the writing to that of Nevil Shute.

message 9: by Samir (new)

Samir (samirjoglekar) | 1 comments Yes. I think of A. J. Cronin.