What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Post-apocalyptic, military guy, rescues woman

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mel (new)

Mel (sea0tter12) | 38 comments I believe this book was pre-1990. It was one of my dad's books that he always had laying around, and what I remember is that something happened in the U.S. that made civilization collapse. (Can't remember what the inciting incident was.) But the main character, who is either military or ex-military, gets a jeep or SUV-type truck and packs the back full of weapons and supplies. I particularly remember him packing alcohol and salt. I also seem to remember that when he left his garage, he had to sneak out for some reason to not let his neighbors know or some other reason.

There were lots of detailed descriptions of weapons, so it was clearly an author who knew a lot about guns or enjoyed talking about them. I think he's going somewhere in particular, but I can't remember. At some point, he ends up having to kill another man or group of men, and the woman who had been with them stays with him. (Can't remember if she was with them willingly or not.) They sleep in the back of the vehicle, and I think they actually have sex there at one point.

It was a pretty superficial novel, more concerned with action and guns than anything. It was a paperback, not a particularly thick one.

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2074 comments Sounds like "The Survivalist Series" which starts with Total War

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel (sea0tter12) | 38 comments Hm. It's possible, although I don't recognize the covers right off. I seem to remember a darker cover, not illustrated. I will look at the first one and see, though, thank you!

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Be sure to come back and let us know if that's it or not Mel.

message 5: by Andy Phillips (new)

Andy Phillips | 192 comments I can see why the other Andy suggested it, but I'm pretty sure it's not The Survivalist series. The first book starts with him abroad and he gets back to the US in an airliner - he doesn't sneak away in a jeep. He's also searching for his family for several books, and is a committed family man, so wouldn't have sex with a random woman in the back of a truck!

The only book of this type that I can think of where the protagonist takes the woman who is originally with some enemies is Damnation Alley. However, the protagonist is originally a prisoner and leaves on a motorbike not in a jeep, so I'm pretty sure this isn't right either.

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Lots of books have the hero figure rescuing (and taking along) a girl from the enemies. The Spawn of The Death Machine is one of those books.

There is another one that I can't think of the title of right now. But again, it's a post apocalyptic book where the hero rescues the girl from a bunch of savages who want to kill her. It was from the late 60's/ early 70's I believe. I know it's in my "library" here on GR, but, well, I have a few pages of books (like over 100) and going through them all is giving me a headache. :o)

message 7: by Patnel (last edited Sep 01, 2013 06:14PM) (new)

Patnel | 149 comments Sound to me like the first of "the Ashes" series by James Axler, Out of the Ashes.
Edit: And by James Axler, I of course meant William Johnstone. Sorry about that.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...

message 8: by Mel (new)

Mel (sea0tter12) | 38 comments I'll let you know when I look it over. I was out of town this weekend! Although, if it does start with an airliner, I don't believe it's the right one. Whatever has happened happens pretty quickly at the beginning of the book, because I think it pretty much starts out with him deciding he needs to get together supplies and get out of the house.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Damnation Alley, The Spawn of The Death Machine or Ashes, but thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look through your shelf, too, Ann, thanks!

If it helps any, my dad usually bought books from places like Walmart or the local grocery store. But he also got them occasionally from the local used book store, so that may be useless information.

message 9: by Mel (new)

Mel (sea0tter12) | 38 comments I also remember a scene where the woman is already with him, and they break into a house that is empty to have shelter in the night. Again, I know that sort of thing happens in every post-apocalyptic novel, so it's probably not helpful.

It's possible he was searching for his family. I want to say that he was just protecting the woman at first, and she's the one who came on to him when they finally have sex.

I read on one of the links posted the term "Male Harlequin," and this seems like a very accurate description.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
Mel, still looking?

message 11: by Mel (new)

Mel (sea0tter12) | 38 comments Yeah, fruitless though it is :)

message 12: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 478 comments Lucifer's Hammer has a similar situation. It's a sci-fi novel about a comet hitting the earth.

message 13: by Mel (new)

Mel (sea0tter12) | 38 comments I've read that, and it's not the same thing. This book was a lot shorter than Lucifer's Hammer!

message 14: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 224 comments Alfred Coppel would come to mind, for the military aspect... the cover looks rather Space Opera'ish, but it's really a Post WWIII setting set in a plague riddled America:

Dark December by Alfred Coppel

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

message 16: by Mel (new)

Mel (sea0tter12) | 38 comments Yeah, still haven't found it.

message 17: by Trilobyte (last edited Oct 08, 2016 04:29AM) (new)

Trilobyte | 150 comments Sounds like its from one of the pulp "mens adventure" series. this link lists most of them http://vaultofevil.proboards.com/thre...

2 other series that might fit Pilgrimage to Hell or Survival 2000: Renegade War

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking now?