Urban Fantasy discussion

MOVIES & TV > Spring/Summer/Fall Movies

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) So... has anyone seen the new XMen yet? How about Star Trek? Anyone excited about the new Terminator? How about other summer blockbuster movies coming out soon?

I do so love summer because of the movie season! I would love to discuss the movies with anyone who is interested...

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) We saw X-Men 2 weeks ago and both my husband & I really liked it. Of course, anytime I can watch Hugh Jackman running around partly clothed some of the time is a good time to me! Saw Star Trek last weekend and really liked it, too. The people playing the original characters have the speech patterns and mannerisms down. Will go see Angels & Demons on Sunday and probably Night at the Smithsonian on Monday. I'm not that big of a Terminator fan, but my husband REALLY wants to see it, so I'm sure I'll be there unless he can find someone else to go with. He wants to see Transformers, too. I'm looking forward to Public Enemy with Johnny Depp & Christian Bale.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I wrote a review for my graphic novel group on the Wolverine movie:

This movie uses the Origin story written by Bill Jemas, Joe Quesada, and Paul Jenkins. It starts with a nice set of scenes showing Wolverine through the ages as he and Victor become soldiers and get involved with William Stryker and the Weapons X project. Where Weapons X is involved, chaos ensues.

I wasn’t sure what to expect, having heard about the pirate copy getting bad buzz, but the movie is totally worth seeing. The much-maligned CG effects are not bad, as some reviews claim. In fact, the scenes involving Wade/Deadpool are actually very cool. The action scenes and fight scenes are well done, and balanced nicely with some great emotional drama. There is some humor, and those scenes fit in well with the action. You get to see nice snips of how Logan got some of his trademark apparel and accessories. The characters are well played.

I’m an X-fan, but admittedly a little fuzzy on the origin stories of some of the characters in the X universe. That being said, I’m not sure how traditionalists who like their movies to match the books exactly will feel about some of the characters meeting up in the end. I’m pretty sure some folks were introduced in novel ways via this movie, but I liked it well enough for the story told in this film. Changes didn’t bother me.

I only have a couple of complaints. First is that I think will.i.am was miscast in this movie. His scenes were a little flat when played out against Hugh Jackman. The other complaint only comes because I’m allowing myself to be a pouty fan, Remy/Gambit does not speak with his trademark Cajun dialect. Taylor does a super job as my fave X-Man, though. I suppose I can concede that not every actor can pull off a tricky dialect like that, so maybe it would’ve come off cheesy if they’d tried it.

I would definitely recommend this movie. One thing to remember if you go see it: this is an X-Man movie, so stay for the end credits! There are two, yes two, bonus scenes during the credits. So don’t get up!

As for Terminator, I hope to see it tonight!

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user I saw Wolverine, but I liked Star Trek better. It was more complete to me, and I get tired of Logan, Logan, Logan. There's not that much to his character, let me tell you.

I really want to see Terminator. I wasn't a fan of the last movies, but this looks completely different. It looks like they put some thought into it.

message 5: by Sarah (last edited May 23, 2009 08:53AM) (new)

Sarah I saw Terminator last night. I liked it, but it was nothing terribly original. It takes about 30 mins. for the plot to start rolling, and after that is non-stop action. I expected it to be about the rise of John Connor, and it is to some degree, but he was absent during large portions of the movie. It's more of an ensemble movie than the preview makes it out to be. The music choices for the movie were very good.

Bale still has his Batman growl, and there is a lot of improbable action, but I think that's what die-hard fans of Terminator have come to expect.

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 19 comments Saw Star Trek last night and LOVED IT!!!! It completely deserves to be the big summer blockbuster - funny, action packed, great acting, fabulous CG. Definately worth seeing.

message 7: by mostunexpected (new)

mostunexpected J. Benjamin Suarez | 161 comments I thought Star Trek was a good movie if you aren't a Star Trek fan. A bunch of stuff left me scratching my head that wouldn't have bothered me if I wasn't so familiar with their universe.

message 8: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) | 84 comments I really enjoyed Wolverine and Star trek and plan to go see Terminator tonight with my granddaughter.

message 9: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) So far I have seen Wolverine and Star Trek. I thought both were pretty great. Star Trek in particular was just incredible. LOVED it.

Planning to see either Terminator or Star Trek (this time with my husband) tomorrow.

Next week I'm taking my younger brother and sister to see Night at the Museum 2. Looking forward to it.

message 10: by new_user (new)

new_user Everyone who's seen Terminator has been telling me it's not very good, just another action flick. Despite the trailer.

message 11: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Went with my brother, sister, and husband to Night at the Museum 2 last night. It was soooo hilarious! Hank Azaria totally made the movie... the movie would have been funny without him, but it was just awesome with him.

message 12: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) We saw Angels & Demons over the weekend. It was pretty good. Not as good as the book, tho. But then, movies are almost never as good as the book.

message 13: by Glory (new)

Glory (juclecia) | 8 comments Just saw Angels & Demons too and I agree with Melodie, not as good as the book, but not bad either. It was SO much better than The Da Vinci Code, and I think it's because Angels & Demons is a much more visual puzzle than The Da Vinci Code.

Movie hopped into Land of the Lost aftewards, which was very fun, and I <3 Matt Lauer now.

Star Trek was LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE. I started watching the original Star Trek after watching the movie, and I'm really, really enjoying it. Not to mention my friends have disowned me because I go around doing the Vulcan sign.

Has anyone seen Up? Up was one of the best movies I've seen this summer. It was bittersweet and really nicely written.

message 14: by mostunexpected (new)

mostunexpected J. Benjamin Suarez | 161 comments Up was pretty good, but I wouldn't put it in my top five favorite Pixar movies.

Those guys haven't made a bad movie yet.

And I agree about the Da Vinci Code. They simplified the movie by making everyone a villain. The book is one of my favorites though.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments Up was fantastic! We took our 3 & 7yos to see the 3d version. Very fun, sweet, sad, entertaining. Just an all around good movie.

message 16: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Byrnes | 3 comments Theresa wrote: "So... has anyone seen the new XMen yet? How about Star Trek? Anyone excited about the new Terminator? How about other summer blockbuster movies coming out soon?

I do so love summer because of th..."

I also love the summer season for the movies. I think they're some of the greatest. I've seen both the new X men and the Star Trek and really loved both of them, they were completley awesome. I've been a huge X Men fan my whole life and was very pleased with what they did with the movie. I must admit that I've never actually seen anything Star Trek before this movie, but since seeing it, I am definatley interested in picking up DVDs of the past shows as well as the movies. Aside from the Sci-Fi, I also really love comedy and can't wait to see The Proposal

message 17: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) We saw Transformers 2 on Wednesday... it was long (almost 2-1/2hrs, I think), but really good. It had a lot more humor in it than the first one. The parents are soooo funny! :)

I noticed that there seemed to be more cursing in this installment. My husband said he didn't notice that... I don't have a problem with cursing in movies, I just thought they were dropping "ass" and "shit" and etc all over the place.

The special effects were incredible! Really, really good. :)

Anyone else watched Transformers 2 yet?

We're going in two weeks to see Ice Age 3. Yeah! More squirrel loving!

message 18: by Frances (new)

Frances (mothindarkness) I saw Star Trek and thought it was brilliant. As a long time almost-trekkie, (or is that near-trekkie) I appreciated how loyal they were to the original, the close to perfect casting, and the fact that they changed just enough to make it new and exciting!! (and open up a lot of possibilities for future installments, tv series, action figures, lunch boxes...wheee)
I'm looking forward to all of the "used to be awesome television" movies this summer. . . Land of the Lost, GI Joe, Transformers 2 (haven't seen it yet.)
good stuff.
Frances

message 19: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Theresa wrote: "We saw Transformers 2 on Wednesday... it was long (almost 2-1/2hrs, I think), but really good. It had a lot more humor in it than the first one. The parents are soooo funny! :)

I noticed that th..."

My husband wants to go see Transformers 2....I think more so he can ogle Megan Fox than anything else. We're going to see The Hangover tomorrow. I loved the Star Trek movie. The guy they cast as Bones was spot on perfect!

message 20: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) The first scene with Megan Fox in Transformers 2, all the males in our auditorium (including my husband) did a quick intake of breath. There were a couple of "wows" muttered. :)

The husband saw The Hangover and said it is hilarious. He wants to go again with me because it was that good.

message 21: by Frances (new)

Frances (mothindarkness)

He played Eomir in Lord of the Rings.... I have no idea how he got DeForrest Kelly's voice to come out of his mouth, but BRAVO!!!
:-)
Frances

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments Hubby says he read a Transformers review that said it was really bad, like 1.5 stars. They said "It was nothign but a bunch of giant robots and special effects" My thoughts: Ummm... yeah... and this is bad how??

message 23: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Jessica, I feel the same way. You go in to the movie knowing it is mainly special effects and big "booms" and you won't be disappointed. Go in to it thinking that it is going to be a great, sprawling tell of people's lives and that you will be changed by the experience, you are going to be disappointed.

I read on EOnline.com where the writer was complaining about how "bad" it is because of the same thing you quoted above and I was just exasperated. Really, what do you expect it to be?

It is a summer action movie. And an awesome one at that.

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments Reviewers all seem to think that a movie needs to be life altering. I'm happy with good acting, decent story and being entertained.

message 25: by new_user (new)

new_user I was going to see Transformers at the IMAX, but unfortunately all the good seats were taken. :( So I think we'll see The Proposal instead (not at the IMAX, of course, LOL). Nekkid Reynolds. Chyeah. LOL. Love that guy, he's hilarious. Bullock too.

message 26: by Glory (last edited Jul 15, 2009 01:20PM) (new)

Glory (juclecia) | 8 comments I completely agree with you guys, Jessica and Theresa. I am so tired of hearing friends complain about Transformers like they're paid critics. Exactly, it's just a fun movie, it's robots, action, and Megan Fox, where they honestly expecting something Oscar worthy? Although I agree that the first Transformers was better and perhaps there was just a tad too much action in the 2nd and not spaced out well enough with the story, I had a lot of fun, and I thought it was a good movie. It's okay to not like a movie, but they need to caaaaalm down.

I heard The Proposal was good! I really want to see it, and The Ugly Truth Too.

MIDNIGHT SHOWING TO HARRY POTTER! YAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY so excited! =D

message 27: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Saw Public Enemies over the 4th of July weekend. Johnny Depp & Christian Bale for a couple of hours...just doesn't get much better than that!

message 28: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Just saw Harry Potter last night and considering that the movies are NEVER as good as the books, IMO, I still thought they did a really good job and I loved it!:) Can't wait for the last 2!!

message 29: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I watched Harry Potter last night with my brother, sister, and husband and we all thought it was very good. It really didn't feel like I was sitting there for 2-1/2 hours. The special effects were pretty cool.

Unfortunately, I am working my way through the HP books right now and only just finished HP and the Goblet of Fire last week so I watched the newest movie without knowing what was going on. I was upset when I heard a mention that a certain favorite character of mine died in HP and the Order of the Phoenix. Oh, well... guess I'll read about it soon enough.

Did anyone else notice that there is a scene from the commercials that is NOT in the movie? Hermione running up and kissing Ron? What the heck? It must be in the deleted scenes or something, but all of us noticed that the scene was missing last night.

message 30: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Huh very interesting Theresa I totally don't remember seeing that in the commercials... :( Now i'm going to have to go out and find the movie trailers and see if I can find it ;)

message 31: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Oh, crap. I just rewatched the trailer on fandango.com and it is Lavender kissing Ron. The shot is really quick and Lavender/Hermione's hair is similar. My bad.

message 32: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) ahh that makes more sense!!! Yes I can see where that could be mistaken, their hair is fairly similar!:)

message 33: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 08, 2009 04:06PM) (new)

Tiffany | 19 comments I don't usually go and see a lot of movies, but this summer has so many movies that I want to see. I have gone and seen Star Trek-loved it! I don't really watch Star Trek, I will watch it if nothing is on the tube, but that's about it. Terminator was really good. I saw the "funny" version of X-men (my friend brought it back from LA from a sidewalk sale) it had no CG parts done and you could see all the strings and everything. Went and saw Beth Cooper, I Love You! with my sis since at the time nothing else was playing and we didn't want to wait for something else. It was OK, funny reminded me of American Pie. I also saw the midnight showing of Harry Potter, which was very good but I kinda dozed off at some of the slower parts because I was soooo tired and jet-lagged at the time. Saw Ice Age 3, which I didn't really care too much for, liked the other 2 much better. I saw G-Force last week (not in 3D) and that was cute. The last movie that I saw was GI-Joe yesterday when it came out. That was really good too. I didn't follow GI-joe much growing up, so I don't know how close they were to the actual storyline/characters.
Edit: How can i forget about Transformers? I actually saw that one twice, which I never do! I went with my boyfriend the weekend it came out and then I went again with my parents and siblings a few weeks later. I think the big robot with the balls was a little too much! lol

message 34: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) We went and watched "The Hurt Locker" last weekend. It was very good!

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Leonard (luvl8r) | 12 comments I love Transformers and am looking forward to seeing
Where the Wild Things Are
Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton)
Cirque Du Freak

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Leonard (luvl8r) | 12 comments I love Transformers and am looking forward to seeing
Where the Wild Things Are
Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton)
Cirque Du Freak

message 37: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 19 comments Went and saw District 9 last night. Loved it. The camera work took a little while for my boyfriend to get used to, it reminded me of The Office, how something would happen and then they would have just one person in a separate place talking to the camera. Hoping for a sequel from this one.

They are making a Cirque du Freak movie? I loved that series! Can't wait to see what they do with the movie. When is that due out?

message 38: by Rachel (new)

message 39: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 19 comments Sweet, not that long of a wait. Also want to see New Moon, Alice in Wonderland, Where the Wild Things Are, and I also saw a preview for another movie that looked really good. I think it was called Jennifer's Body or something like that. It has Megan Fox in it and it looks like she is a vampire or some other sort of creature that likes to kill guys.

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Leonard (luvl8r) | 12 comments I knew that was Megan Fox my husband and I were in disagreement. That does look good.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Tiffany I saw District 9 too and I thought it was great! I want to see New Moon, Alice in Wonderland, Where the Wild Things Are and Jennifer's Body too! Can't wait to see them:o)

message 42: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) I went watching New Moon 2wks ago in Cape Town, thought id beat the rush of the opening wkend, but was still busy and funnily enough people were actually well behaved..no teenage girls umm and ahhing over pattinsson and lautner, and lots of guys were at the movie too surprising!!

I did enjoythe movie, I didnt like the way the cullens looked I preferred the Twilight look of the vampires, Rosalie,Esme, Alice and Carlisle looked completely different the contacts they used were different and a little distracting. Carlisle's hair should have been left like it was in Twilight, just dyed and slicked back...this one looked like he had a wig on (which he did).

Apart from that I did enjoy it and it was rather long but the time went by so quick, I liked that they stuck to the book relatively so. Special effects were good,the wolves especially and I loved the diving scene and the way they captured her with Edward fading away. It was done very nicely.I was disappointed with the break-up scene and the after effects of that, in no way did the film portray the utter heartbreak of Ewards leaving on Bella, not even any tears. I wasnt happy with Kristen Stewarts acting either, the scenes were sshe wakes up and groans just didnt seem real enough for me.

The scene in Volturi when Bella sees Edward could have been a little better, he wasnt as surprised to see her and this does not represent what happened in the book, when he really thinks he has died and sees Bella.

Saying that
I think they did a great job and tried to jam everything in to one film.Trying to please fans, so well done

message 43: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Emma wrote: "I went watching New Moon 2wks ago in Cape Town, thought id beat the rush of the opening wkend, but was still busy and funnily enough people were actually well behaved..no teenage girls umm and ahhi..."

I really liked New Moon, too. Went to see it opening weekend, on 11/21. Also recently saw Couple's Retreat which was pretty good, and The Blind Side which was very good.

message 44: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I enjoyed it as well, but the mist Edwards had my sister and I giggling. It was like the first time Edward "sparkled" in the first movie - we both started laughing. Personally, I think they should have just had Edward's voice speaking to Bella - not showing him all misty and evaporating. Did they think the audience wouldn't be able to figure out whose voice Bella was hearing?

I felt like a dirty old woman for drooling over Lautner - jail bait! But, seriously nice looking jail bait. :)

message 45: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Theresa wrote: "I enjoyed it as well, but the mist Edwards had my sister and I giggling. It was like the first time Edward "sparkled" in the first movie - we both started laughing. Personally, I think they should ..."

Lautner doesn't do a thing for me. He doesn't even look all of his 17 years to me! Now, Pattinson on the other hand.....I wouldn't mind being his "mama" for awhile!

message 46: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) The fading part that I was refering to was when she had dived off the cliff and was in the water drowning...then Edward appeared and then faded away...I just really enjoyed that part. Totally agree with Melodie, Lautner is too polished...Pattinson is more rough and ready lol

message 47: by Megan (new)

Megan The last Eclipse trailer just got released, its really good! http://www.eclipsemovie.org/new-eclip...