The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

106 views
FALL CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.5. Coralie's Task: One or More

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Aug 30, 2013 09:04AM) (new)

Sandy | 16594 comments Mod
25.5. Coralie's Task: One or More.

Read two books. The books should both have the same noun in the title or sub-title, but the noun must be in the singular for one book and the plural for the other.

The words must be used as nouns or adjectives in the book's title, not as verbs. For example, the combination Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Animal Dreams does not work, because "dream" is used as a verb in the first book's title.

Possessives are allowed but no other variations. (For example you could have The Third Policeman
and The Yiddish Policemen's Union.)

Nouns for which the plural is the same as the noun are acceptable as either unless it is obvious in the title which it should be. (For example Black Sheep would work for either singular or plural but The Sheep Look Up would only work for plural.) I will accept all the combinations person/persons, person/people and people/peoples.

Proper nouns may be used. Example: Katherine and An Abundance of Katherines


message 2: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Reserved.


message 3: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Reserved.


message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16594 comments Mod
this thread is now open!


message 5: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 563 comments ooh nice task. this'll take some legwork :D


message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7855 comments ohhh interesting!


message 7: by Dee (last edited Aug 30, 2013 09:28AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7855 comments do subtitles count?

I have a ton of triathlon books to review for my blog - so thinking triathlete/triathletes' (i've seen it with and without the apostrophe)


message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela | 533 comments Would these two books work? Guilty Wives by James Patterson and The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison


message 9: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Dee wrote: "do subtitles count?

I have a ton of triathlon books to review for my blog - so thinking triathlete/triathletes' (i've seen it with and without the apostrophe)"


Yes, subtitles count.


message 10: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Angela wrote: "Would these two books work? Guilty Wives by James Pattersonand The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison"

Yes, wife/wives work.


message 11: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments would they work The Perfect Christmas and Christmas Past?


message 12: by Amy (last edited Aug 30, 2013 02:20PM) (new)

Amy | 1384 comments Considering The King of Lies and Kings of the Earth. Will that work?


message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela | 533 comments Thank you Coralie!


message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

How about this:

the bleeding season
different seasons

Season/seasons


message 15: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Aleksandra wrote: "would they work The Perfect Christmas and Christmas Past?"

No, Christmas is in the singular in both titles.


message 16: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Amy wrote: "Considering The King of Lies and Kings of the Earth. Will that work?"

Yes, they work.


message 17: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "How about this:

the bleeding season
different seasons

Season/seasons"


Yes, that works.


message 19: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Coralie, I didn't read task properly :( will look for different books.


message 20: by Kate (last edited Aug 30, 2013 08:22PM) (new)


message 22: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Yes to Bea and Kathryn.

No to Deborah, 'devil' is singular in both titles (the apostrophe would have to come after the 's' to make it plural).


message 23: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1424 comments I see.

Murder on a Bad Hair Day with

Cold Days or
World After Penryn & the End of Days book 2


message 25: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Deborah wrote: "I see.

Murder on a Bad Hair Day with

Cold Days or
World After Penryn & the End of Days book 2"


Cold Days works but not World after as 'days' needs to be in the title or sub-title not the series name.


message 26: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Lacy wrote: "How about these 3 choices:

Clockwork Prince & Dukes to the Left of Me, Princes to the Right

The Thing About Men & Mystery Man

Three Women & The Other Woman"


They all work.


message 27: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments I want to make sure these work for Promise/Promises

Love's Enduring Promise

Promises in Death


message 28: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 161 comments Coralie wrote: "Lacy wrote: "How about these 3 choices:

Clockwork Prince & Dukes to the Left of Me, Princes to the Right

The Thing About Men & Mystery Man

Three Women & The Other Woman"

They all work."


Thanks!


message 29: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Kathy G. wrote: "I want to make sure these work for Promise/Promises

Love's Enduring Promise

Promises in Death"


Yes, they work.


message 30: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1103 comments I just want to make sure this works -

Sisters Red and Sister


message 31: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Rebecca wrote: "I just want to make sure this works -

Sisters Red and Sister"

Yes, that combination works.


message 32: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1103 comments Coralie wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "I just want to make sure this works -

Sisters Red and Sister"
Yes, that combination works."


Thanks!


message 33: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Coralie wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "I want to make sure these work for Promise/Promises

Love's Enduring Promise

Promises in Death"

Yes, they work."


Thank You!


message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 89 comments How about Chocolat and Julia's Chocolates?


message 35: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Jennifer wrote: "How about Chocolat and Julia's Chocolates?"

I think I will have to say no to that one as it counts as a variation other than possessive.


message 38: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Vi wrote: "How about:
The Shadow of the Wind/Cast in Shadow & Shadows on the Moon?"


Either combination would work.


message 39: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Marscha wrote: "How about How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire and Real Vampires Have Curves"

They work.


message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 89 comments Coralie wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "How about Chocolat and Julia's Chocolates?"

I think I will have to say no to that one as it counts as a variation other than possessive."



Ok...I wasn't sure. I'm glad I checked!! :) I will find another combo.


message 41: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments This was a tough challenge! I think I found a combo though, how about I Am Not A Serial Killer and I Hunt Killers


message 42: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl) wrote: "This was a tough challenge! I think I found a combo though, how about I Am Not A Serial Killer and I Hunt Killers"

They work.


message 43: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Amanda wrote: "Would this work:

How To Be a Good Wife and All Our Worldly Goods

good/goods"


Yes, I will allow that. When you post, say that it was approved.


message 44: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments Just checking these 2 work.

Secrets to the Grave & The Husband's Secret


message 45: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Sam wrote: "Just checking these 2 work.

Secrets to the Grave & The Husband's Secret"


Yes, they work.


message 46: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7855 comments i'm assuming woman/women works?


message 47: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2208 comments Dee wrote: "i'm assuming woman/women works?"

Yes, certainly.


message 48: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7855 comments Figured but wanted to check ;)


message 49: by Susan A (new)

Susan A I'm not sure I understand what a subtitle is.

Do these work

A Marked Man and Seth and David?

I had picked this Seth and David (Men of Smithfield, #3) by L.B. Gregg because the cover reads

Men of Smithfield: Seth and David

but not sure that is a subtitle.

Thanks for your help.


message 50: by Susan A (last edited Oct 11, 2013 05:14PM) (new)

Susan A If that doesn't work do

Kamikaze Boys and Rentboy? Does the boy part need to be separate word?


« previous 1
back to top