The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.2. Andy P.'s task: Love That Alphabet

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Aug 31, 2013 11:26AM) (new)

Sandy | 15478 comments Mod
Task 25.2. Andy P.'s task: Love That Alphabet

NOTE: ebooks without print versions cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages. If you read an ebook or audiobook use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition.

A. Two Book option. Each book must be at least 250 pages.
Book 1 Choose a book whose title/subtitle contains three sequential letters of the alphabet. The letters do NOT have to be sequential in the title and need not all be in the same word of the title.
Example: A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore. The title contains the letters R-S-T and the book has at least 250 pages.
AND
Book 2 Choose a book that has three sequential letters of the alphabet in the author's name as it is listed on the book's Goodreads main page
Example: Zero Day by David Baldacci. The author's name contains the letters A-B-C and the book has at least 250 pages.

B. One book option.
Read one book that fulfills both the title and author requirements and is at least 400 pages long
Example: The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy - R-S-T in title, N-O-P in author's name, and the book has at least 400 pages.

The Inquisitor by Mark Allen Smith contains the necessary letters but will not work for the one book option because it has only 336 pages. It could be used for either choice of the two book option.

REQUIRED: Specify in your post the 3 letter combinations that you found in the author and title.

message 2: by Andy (last edited Aug 31, 2013 10:44AM) (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments reserved

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments Reserved

message 4: by Sandy (new)

This thread is now open.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1040 comments Just to make sure I understood this right, for title I could do The Enchantress Returns which has R, S, T in the title. And for the author I could do The Testament by John Grisham whose name has M, N, O? THanks!

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela | 392 comments One Book Option: Marshmallows for Breakfast by Dorothy Koomson (470 pages)

message 7: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Just to make sure I understood this right, for title I could do The Enchantress Returns which has R, S, T in the title. And for the author I could do The Testament by John Grisham whose name has M,..."
Of course, enjoy them!

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments Angela wrote: "One Book Option: Marshmallows for Breakfast by Dorothy Koomson (470 pages)"
Yes, that works

message 9: by Angela (new)

Angela | 392 comments Thanks Andy! Trying to fit in books I own :)

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily | 613 comments It's okay if it's the same three letters, right? Just to confirm, for the one book option I could use The Shining by Stephen King, both the book and the author having the letters G-H-I?

message 11: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments Sure and one rarely has to worry about length in King's books

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily | 613 comments Andy wrote: "Sure and one rarely has to worry about length in King's books"

Haha, very true. Thanks for approving it so quickly.

message 13: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments So this would work for a one book option?

The Captive & The Fugitive (EFGHI) by Marcel Proust (RST)

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1182 comments I am considering Rock chick reckoning (g-h-i) by Kristen Ashley (r-s-t) for the one-book option.

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 120 comments For Option B: Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran, with C-D-E AND R-S-T in the Title and L-M-N-O in the Author's name. Book has no English Mass Market edition listed in Goodreads, but the most rated Paperback edition has 429 pages.

message 16: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments I'll leave this one to the moderators as they have more expertise in this area than I do.

message 17: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I am considering Rock chick reckoning (g-h-i) by Kristen Ashley (r-s-t) for the one-book option."
It will work if the book is over 400 pages, but you haven't given me a link so I can't confirm this.

message 18: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments Rosemary wrote: "So this would work for a one book option?

The Captive & The Fugitive (EFGHI) by Marcel Proust (RST)"

Sure, this one is well over 400 pages

message 19: by Sandy (new)

Theresa~OctoberLace wrote: "For Option B: Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran, with C-D-E AND R-S-T in the Title and L-M-N-O in the Author's name. Book has no English Mass Market edition listed in Goodreads, but the most..."

If you read a paper edition, you use that specific edition. If you're reading an ebook or listening to an audiobook, and there's no MMPB edition, look at the paperbacks. In this case, pretty much all paper and hardback editions are >400 pages, so you should be fine.

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 120 comments Sandy, to maximize my reading time, I tend to read books on my Kindle or listen on my iPod. I should have specified that in my post as the reason for looking at MMPB and PB versions. Thanks for a quick response.

message 21: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3758 comments Silent Partner [R S T] by Jonathan Kellerman [M N O]

One book option: 484 pages

message 22: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments That's fine. He's another author for whom page count is rarely an issue

message 23: by Sandy (new)

I also found Pat Conroy and David Baldacci (who typically write long books) had a lot of books with titles that fit as well.

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 89 comments How about Sisterland (RST) by Curtis Sittenfeld (RST) for the one book option? There are exactly 400 pages.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

B. one book option:

Night Shift(F-G-H) by Stephen King (G-H-I) 409 pages. looks good?

message 26: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alvarezalexis85) | 122 comments B. one book option: Would Shadows Over Baker Street (RST) by Michael Reaves and John Pelan (NOP) work?

message 27: by Vi (new)

Vi | 185 comments For B: One Book Option - The Face Of Deception (D-E-F) by Iris Johansen (H-I-J); 480 pages?

message 28: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 133 comments For option B, I want to read The Mysterious Benedict Society(CDE) by Trenton Lee Stewart (RST), but is it okay that it's shelved as young adult/childrens? It's 492 pages.

message 29: by Marscha (new)

Marscha (mysterymb) | 400 comments The Liberation of Alice Love (a-b-c) by Abby McDonald (a-b-c) has exactly 400 pages too, will it work for the one book option?

message 30: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments Marscha wrote: "The Liberation of Alice Love (a-b-c) by Abby McDonald (a-b-c) has exactly 400 pages too, will it work for the one book option?"
That is fine

message 31: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments Cassie wrote: "For option B, I want to read The Mysterious Benedict Society(CDE) by Trenton Lee Stewart (RST), but is it okay that it's shelved as young adult/childrens? It's 492 pages."
Yes because it is over 300 pages, so it qualifies for the higher point tasks

message 32: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments Vi wrote: "For B: One Book Option - The Face Of Deception (D-E-F) by Iris Johansen (H-I-J); 480 pages?"
Yes it will work

message 33: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments Alexis wrote: "B. one book option: Would Shadows Over Baker Street (RST) by Michael Reaves and John Pelan (NOP) work?"Yes that one qualifies

message 34: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "B. one book option:

Night Shift(F-G-H) by Stephen King (G-H-I) 409 pages. looks good?"

Yes that one is fine

message 35: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments Jennifer wrote: "How about Sisterland (RST) by Curtis Sittenfeld (RST) for the one book option? There are exactly 400 pages."
That should do it

message 36: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 161 comments One book option:
Chasing Fire (EFG) by Nora Roberts (RST) - 472 pages

message 37: by Donna Jo (last edited Sep 01, 2013 03:04PM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments As long as you factor in the length thing, most of J. K. Rowlings Harry Potter and the... books work for the one book option.

message 38: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments for option B: The Distant Hours (RSTU) by Kate Morton (MNO)?

message 39: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 765 comments Split Second (NOP) by David Baldacci (ABC) will work.

message 40: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Option B: The Cuckoo's Calling (GHI) by Robert Galbraith (GHI) 455 pages

message 41: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 781 comments I wanted to see if this would work for the one book option? Ruthless Game (R-S-T-U) by Christine Feehan (R-S-T) 416 pgs.

message 42: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments I'm going to read A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore (Option A, Book 1) and The Testament by John Grisham (Option A, Book 2).

message 43: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments Claire wrote: "I'm going to read A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore (Option A, Book 1) and The Testament by John Grisham (Option A, Book 2)."
You need to pick a title and an author i.e. Option A and Option B, but I assume you have mislabeled the Grisham book because it fulfills option B not A

message 44: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Option B: The Cuckoo's Calling (GHI) by Robert Galbraith (GHI) 455 pages"
Good choice. I assume you know who Robert Galbraith actually is?

message 45: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments Valorie wrote: "I wanted to see if this would work for the one book option? Ruthless Game (R-S-T-U) by Christine Feehan (R-S-T) 416 pgs."

Valorie wrote: "I wanted to see if this would work for the one book option? Ruthless Game (R-S-T-U) by Christine Feehan (R-S-T) 416 pgs."
That's fine

message 46: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments KSMary wrote: "Split Second (NOP) by David Baldacci (ABC) will work."
Of course it works.

message 47: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments Lacy wrote: "One book option:
Chasing Fire (EFG) by Nora Roberts (RST) - 472 pages"
That's fine, this is a good book I read it last summer.

message 48: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3293 comments Aleksandra wrote: "for option B: The Distant Hours (RSTU) by Kate Morton (MNO)?"
This works. Hers are good books but long so they obviously work for the 1 book option

message 49: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Andy wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "Option B: The Cuckoo's Calling (GHI) by Robert Galbraith (GHI) 455 pages"
Good choice. I assume you know who Robert Galbraith actually is?"

How can you miss knowing? Actually, I wish I'd heard of the book earlier. Does a book automatically become a better read because the author is "A Name".

message 50: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Ok this was pretty tough. To make sure I understand correctly, is Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock ok for the title because it has C, D, and E in the title and is The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon ok because the author's name has M, N, and O in it?

« previous 1