THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > Age ratings

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lennon I am in the middle of writing a horror. I have organised with my local library that I will be donating a copy to them when it is finished.
My wife asked me today is there any restriction on books, eg age ratings.
As mine contains some quite graphic violence and swearing.
This was something that had never crossed my mind, I just assumed in the library you have children and teen sections, then you have all other, romance, horror, sci fi etc.
Do I need to be putting any warnings or anything to indicate the content before this goes to print?
I have read a lot of books with graphic violence and don't recall ever seeing any "guidance notes".
Obviously I don't want to give too much away on the "blurb" for the book either as I feel it will take the suspense away.

Thank you

message 2: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 257 comments Hi,

I had the same issue and I compromised by putting a warning on my book description rather than the blurb. So buyers can tell what they are getting. I have not submitted books to a library other than British library yet - as part of ISBN aallocation. I would just ensure it's in the non-children's section. If there is a YA section then it's even harder as I'm still confused about this genre.