Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Do you need a Beta Reader?...

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello,
My name is Ellen. I love to read. There is something magical about every book. I enjoy reading Fantasy, Ancient History - Fiction, Young Adult, Mystery, Post-Apocalypse, Apocalypse and Dystopia.
I am looking to read new books in any and all genres and I am willing to be a beta-reader. I promise to make notes, suggestions, and write an honest review posted at an appropriate time given by the author. If there is anything else you are looking for in a beta-reader please feel free to message me.
-Ellen

message 2: by Lise8 (new)

Lise8 | 29 comments I have written a full length novel (128K words) and have received very good feedback from friends, but I now feel ready for more in depth and honest feedback from others.

What I am mainly interested in is knowing how reading my story made the reader feel as he/she reads along, what was fun, emotional, boring, weird, annoying, what was cringe-worthy or made a heart leap, or maybe even what made the reader think, oh that's nicely put... any reaction that has been felt whilst reading.

Here's a short blurb to see if that grabs your interest:

Now that Claire is in her mid-thirties, her life is finally settled. Starting adult life as a young single mother, she has worked hard to get to where she is. Her two part-time jobs bring her great satisfaction, but more importantly, she has an incredibly deep connection with her sixteen year old daughter, and with the other teenagers who invade her house every afternoon. All is good until one of the youth invites a new guy to join the group, who stirs things up in ways none of them could have ever predicted.

do PM me if you would like to beta read for me!

Lise

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Would you be interested in reading mine? It's a 145,000 word teen romance. It already on amazon but I've added 261 pages to the original version that I published back in February and it needs a fresh par of eyes.

http://www.amazon.com/Summers-Winters...

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan (mamamegan) | 16 comments I have a parenting memoir/advice book I am looking for readers on. It's sort of blog-style comedy with some been-there-done-that advice as well as stories from other moms sprinkled in. Would you be interested in this sort of book? Mostly about pregnancy, childbirth, and infancy

message 5: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 9 comments Hello, Ellen! Feel free to send me a message with your email if you're interested in a new adult novel, about 95000 words in length. :) It's a modern retelling of an old fairy tale, where magic doesn't drive the story: people do.

message 6: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Fitzpatrick (l_e_fitzpatrick) | 8 comments Hi Ellen,

I am usually a fantasy writer but I have written a new 60k novel which is more of a sci-fi thriller. It's out of my comfort zone so I'd really like some people to cast their eyes over it and tell me what they think.

Although it's 60k it should be a quick and easy read and I am just making the proofreader corrections now.

If you are interested please message me.

P.S. It does have apocalyptic inspirations

message 7: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Morrison (shelbykmorrison) | 30 comments Hi Ellen!

I'm actively seeking beta readers for my thriller/mystery. I've posted the rough blurb below so you can determine if it's something you'd be interested in reading. I have a list of things to look for to make it easy. I want reader or writer eyes, not editor (I will hire one of those). So I want you to read and enjoy the book then just answer honestly some questions. I'd love to hear from you! You would get a free ebook of the published version as thanks. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Blurb: Fireball college student Alex Bowen has a pretty full life: friends, a loving father, and an accomplished academic and recreational career. But when a sudden act of vigilante justice brings unexpected praise, Alex finds that her own strength isn't enough to move on from her guilt. Certain something is wrong, Alex unknowingly stumbles upon a secret. She is being watched.

Determined to uncover who's been spying on her, Alex gets more than she bargained for when she finds herself far from home and at the mercy of her watchers. With those she trusts no where to be found, she is forced to make allies wherever she can find them. Alex soon learns that the life she knows isn't all that it seems, yet the truth might be too much to bear. With her life and her sanity on the line, she must uncover the truth and expose those behind the lies, before she's sucked into their world of deceit and control. If, that is, she knows when to listen to her heart and when to listen to her head. (It does deal with conspiracy theories and scientific elements.)

You can contact me if interested at shelby.morrison90@yahoo.com.
Shelby Morrison

message 8: by Maz (new)

Maz Marik (mazmarik) | 4 comments Hi,
I have one which needs reading.....Its been released in 4 weeks so if you are available to do it by then it would be great.
It is set in 1970's England, and follows a family that are stalked by darkness....

If interested, please email at mazmaric@gmail.com

message 9: by Anne-Rae (last edited Sep 21, 2013 11:15AM) (new)

Anne-Rae Vasquez (annerae) Hi Ellen,

I would love to have you betaread my ARC for my dystopian paranoraml apocalyptic urban fantasy - book 1 of a trilogy. I am looking for a new pair of eyes to read it. I have a full ARC epub version available to share. Note: this has not been proofed yet for typos/grammatical errors.

I have one last chance to revise or move around chapters before Oct 15 before I send it to the copyeditor. Release date is Nov 13.

Feel free to download the ARC epub here on this page. : Click the download ARC link on the webpage

If you want to make comments/recommendations for me, please message me here in goodreads. I will take your comments seriously and will share with my team of content editors.

Thank you for your time,
Anne-Rae
www.amongus.ca
www.anne-raevasquez.com

message 10: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Fisher (authortlfisher) Ellen,
I am writing a three part young adult romance novel. Book one is finished (by all practical purposes), but I would like to get some critique on area's that could use improvement. My story is a story of that all consuming first love. The connection two people, who are destined to be together, feel the first time their eyes meet. It's about the anticipation and awkwardness of their first kiss. Brianna and Sean are faced with so many obstacles they can't seem to get past...yet they can't seem to go on without each other, either.

I am working on book two in the series, which is set ten years later. I would also love critique on what I have finished so far. Please email me at winegirl1963@yahoo.com if interested.
Terri

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan Nadathur (susannadathur) | 3 comments Hello Ellen, thanks for your generous offer to beta read. I have an 85,000 word YA paranormal romance set in Puerto Rico. The novel explores the downside of temptation and desire and the challenges of being different in the Hispanic CaribbeAn. Protagonists are teenage Puerto Ricans. Please email me at: susannadathur@live.com if you are interested in this genre. Thanks

message 12: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence | 42 comments Ellen. please let me know if you're interested in reading my novel? The work is polished. You can email me at: lpobrien7277@gmail.com
LaWrenCE

Title: "Skipping Stones along the Kìchì Sibi"
Period: 1794-1816
Genre: Historical Fiction/with Fantasy substory
Language: English
Rating: Some War violence
Age Level >16
Length: 135,000 (Slightly shorter than Last of the Mohicans)

Storyline:
This is about people drawn to a waterfall. The Kìchì Sibi runs through it.
An Irishman runs from a landlord who is tries to kill him. He continues to try to kill him in the new land.
An Algonquin woman, paddles against waves of mystery, foreboding and desolation.
A New Englander from near the Mohawk valley struggles to maintain order and influence in order stake his claim.
A free black man from a town near Boston brings his small children and the memories of his dead wife to a place with an undefined future.
Each crosses the paths of a Púca and the Wìsakedjà. Each have their sights on how to traverse through conflict, subterfuge and maybe redemption.

message 13: by Recover (new)

Recover | 10 comments "Dying Earth" Science Fantasy
12,500 words into (what is planned to be) a 100,000 word novel.
The earth is in the process of making itself uninhabitable. Two separated cultures find there own way to live off planet.
These cultures are prosperous on their own but what did they leave behind?

Currently trying to get down 1,000 words a day. Would love some feedback that I'm on the right (or wrong) track for my first novel.

message 14: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Ravenda | 24 comments As Daniel Stonevien, a hotheaded young fire mage, languishes in a dungeon waiting to be executed, he recalls the fateful evening he decided to leave his family and seek adventure. Little does he suspect that the quest he’s about to embark upon will try him more than dragon’s fire.

Smoke Rising is an intricately plotted fantasy novel, the first in a series, in which Daniel is one of several characters embroiled in the fate of Ruinous, a kingdom under siege by the mysterious Shadow Fox. In the capital, Stallworth, Gentler Leones and his personal guard Damon seek to sniff out a traitor, while Daniel’s childhood friend Link desperately tries to keep his charge, King Daerunt Danford’s son Domino, Ruinous’s prince, safe. At Isseaos, the academy for mages, teenage Keliea contends with a traumatic past as she helps to lead an exploratory mission and learns about her extraordinary power. In the Startelm, a forbidden forest, an ancient enemy reappears, and Avey, an Alsatin (an intelligent non-human creature), wonders how much her unusual father is hiding from his pack. Further afield, prodigal youngest son Stephen Gaferty must decide if he has what it takes to lead his family’s house in a dangerous political game. Meanwhile, Daniel attempts to infiltrate the Shadow Fox, leading him on a dangerous journey through the Sea of Sand and toward the realm of the Nocturne, a fanatic cult whose country no stranger has ever left alive.

Smoke Rising, complete at 122,083 words, is heroic high fantasy. Told from multiple perspectives with a focus on realistic characters, the novel will appeal to fans of George R. R. Martin and Patrick Rothfuss, especially given its fully realized world-building.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I would be very pleased to share the full manuscript of Smoke Rising with you upon request.

Email me if interested Danielravenda@gmail.com

message 15: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (shelbay9) | 34 comments Hi Ellen!

I'm looking for a few beta readers. Please let me know if you are interested!

Below is a summary,

The town of Riley has an abnormal way of swaying its residents from never leaving. Avery Philips was the last to move in to Riley, Alabama ten years ago. That is, until Liam and Agatha show up one night out of the blue. The two arriving begin to worry the folks of Riley when neither fit in. It doesn’t take long for a strand of murders to scare the citizens of Riley enough to ostracize them. The only association Liam and Agatha have to the town of Riley is Avery – who hasn’t realized her part yet in a much bigger game.

You can email me anytime at shelbyholt9@gmail.com.

Thank you for your time,

Shelby

message 16: by Trey (new)

Trey Gabb | 12 comments This is from two years ago! Is Ellen still beta reading?