Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Archived: BOM/SGOM > SGoM - September 2013: Time Travel

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

Once more you have chosen, ladies ! September sub-genre of the month is Time Travel.

According to GR:
Time travel is the concept of moving between different points in time in a manner analogous to moving between different points in space. Time travel could hypothetically involve moving backward in time to a moment earlier than the starting point, or forward to the future of that point without the need for the traveler to experience the intervening period (at least not at the normal rate). Time travel can form the central theme of a book or it can simply be a plot device to drive a story. Time travel in fiction can ignore the possible effects of the time traveler's actions or it can explote its repercussions(ie: paradoxes).

Popular Time Travel Books
New Releases
Time Travel Book Lists

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved .

message 3: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 512 comments My plan is to read one or more of these - Morrigan's Cross (Circle Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts , Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband (Daughters of the Glen, #1) by Melissa Mayhue or A Knight in Shining Armor (Montgomery, #16) by Jude Deveraux .
We'll see what I actually end up reading :)

message 4: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Nichole, you've got me interested in the Jude Deveraux book. It has lots of 5 star reviews from my GR friends.

I LOVE time-travel books, so I will try to squeeze in one or two :)

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Aug 30, 2013 04:08AM) (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Nichole wrote: "My plan is to read one or more of these -Morrigan's Cross (Circle Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts,Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband (Daughters of the Glen, #1) by Melissa Mayhue or A Knight in Shining Armor (Montgomery, #16) by Jude Deveraux.
We'll see what ..."

I definitely recommend the Nora Roberts circle trilogy I loved all of them.
Melissa mayhue book is good too.

message 6: by Vi (new)

Vi | 592 comments Nichole, the Deveraux book is part of a series, right? Do you know if the previous books need to be read? (17 books which makes me slightly hesitant to add it) The Mayhue book sounds good too.

I might be continuing the Outlander series in September - reading the in-between John Grey portion which might not be time-travel. I need to check.

message 7: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 512 comments ShoSho wrote: "I definitely recommend the Nora Roberts circle trilogy I loved all of them."

Good to know! And that one is the most likely because it's the only one my library has on audio. Their audio selection is very small :(

message 8: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Aug 30, 2013 04:18AM) (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I prefer the time travel books that one of them comes from the past and they stay in the present rather than the ones someone goes to the past and stays there.
I can't think of living without the technology and indoor plumbing!

message 9: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 512 comments Vi wrote: "Nichole, the Deveraux book is part of a series, right? Do you know if the previous books need to be read? (17 books which makes me slightly hesitant to add it) The Mayhue book sounds good too.

I m..."

Ha, well probably if you are OCD about such things. I'm more flexible on reading out of order with some HR and PNR. It was picked for me a couple of months ago and I just never got to it.

I thought about reading the next Outlander book for me, The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5) by Diana Gabaldon , but they are just so long and I have a busy month ahead.

message 10: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 512 comments I agree on the indoor plumbing! *nods head vigorously* :D

message 11: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I might read Doomsday Book (Oxford Time Travel, #1) by Connie Willis if I ever get out of this slump.

message 12: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments I love Time travel books, but unfortunately I don't have any to read this month. Unless time slip counts. I am reading a book by Susanna Kearsley who writes wonderful books with a time slip theme. Not really time travel.

My favorite time travel author is Lynn Kurland. One of the reasons I like her books so much, is that she thinks about the bathroom issues and conveniences issues.

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I love a good TT book, too, but I really don't read a lot of them. I was reading Kurland's books, but I totally lost track of which ones and where I was with them. I'd love to start over. (Maybe as a "buddy read"?)

I just finished Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2) by Deborah Harkness which is TT. I'll have to see if I can squeeze another in for September.

Thanks for the posts, ladies. Some of these I haven't even heard of before.

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Okay, you all have corrupted me. I just bought Sleeping With the Wolf (After the Crash #1) by Maddy Barone because it is just too, too different to pass up.

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, they have To Say Nothing of the Dog Or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last by Connie Willis on audio. Hmmm...

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments You are B.A.D., Jenny.

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments
B.A.D.

B. - Book
A. - Addict
D. - Duh!

message 18: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "B.A.D.

B. - Book
A. - Addict
D. - Duh!"

Lmao

message 19: by Oleander (new)

Oleander | 188 comments I think we are all in the B.A.D. category.

And yes that does look like a good one.

I love Sandra Hill's viking 2 series and I haven't read one in awhile. I think I'll go with Viking Heat (Viking II, #9) by Sandra Hill

message 20: by Kari (new)

Kari This one A Knight in Shining Armor (Montgomery, #16) by Jude Deveraux can definately be read as standalone. The other books are about the heroine's Montgomery relatives from different time periods and places, so the books are not really connected. I wouldn't even go so far as to call it a series, so just reading this one is fine. It is very good, one of my favorite comfort reads!! Very sweet and the time travel aspect is awesome.

The Mayhue books I loved too. Those are a series and we do get tidbits on previous characters so I recommend reading them in order, but if you read just one you'll be ok too. They're really fun, I raced through the whole series really fast.

message 21: by Kari (new)

Kari And if you guys are in the mood for a sexier time travel, then this one was fun too The Highlander's Witch by Jennifer France . It's a mix of time travel, highlander, witch, romance, historical & naughty in the dungeon ;)!

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Naughty in the dungeon!?! LOL! Oh, dear. Something that sounds fun in RomanceLandia, but definitely not in Real Life.

message 23: by Vi (new)

Vi | 592 comments Gisela wrote: "I might read Doomsday Book (Oxford Time Travel, #1) by Connie Willis if I ever get out of this slump."

Sorry to hear about your slump, Gisela but that book is awesome. Maybe I should read the next one for this SGOM.

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, Vi... the second one is out on audio. **hee hee**

message 25: by Valorie (last edited Aug 30, 2013 09:48PM) (new)

Valorie  | 676 comments Jenny wrote: "I may go with Sleeping With the Wolf (After the Crash #1) by Maddy Barone if I can fit it in (I failed epically this month.) She travels from the present-ish to the future."

I read that one awhile ago and really enjoyed it. Hope you and Lisa Kay like it!

message 26: by Valorie (last edited Aug 30, 2013 09:51PM) (new)

Valorie  | 676 comments I think I'm going to go with Secrets of the Highlander (Highlander, #6) by Janet Chapman and I may try and fit in Wolf's Glory (After the Crash #2) by Maddy Barone

message 27: by Kari (new)

Kari Lisa Kay wrote: "Naughty in the dungeon!?! LOL! Oh, dear. Something that sounds fun in RomanceLandia, but definitely not in Real Life."

LOL! I guess I am also B.A.D.! (view spoiler)

message 28: by Vi (new)

Vi | 592 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Oh, Vi... the second one is out on audio. **hee hee**"

LK - I haven't tried audio except Harry Potter. Maybe I should give this a try??

message 29: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments You should, Vi! Nothing better than an audiobook!

message 30: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 458 comments Hmm, I don't always love TT but I did really like Nora's Circle Trilogy. Too bad I just finished it like a month ago!

I think I'm going to try Midnight's Master (Dark Warriors, #1) by Donna Grant .

If I'm feeling like something meatier I may finally get to Doomsday Book (Oxford Time Travel, #1) by Connie Willis or if I'm feeling like super cheeze I may do something like The Last Viking (Viking II, #1) by Sandra Hill

message 31: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Lisa Kay wrote: "I love a good TT book, too, but I really don't read a lot of them. I was reading Kurland's books, but I totally lost track of which ones and where I was with them. I'd love to start over. (Maybe..."

Did you enjoy Shadow of Night? I read the first book because it was so highly recommended and it looked really good, but I couldn't get into it. I was wondering if the second was any better than the first.

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Valorie wrote: "Hope you and Lisa Kay like it!"

I do, too. Of course, I like Chapman, too, so I could always go with one of hers.

message 33: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Kari wrote: "LOL! I guess I am also B.A.D.!"

Read the spoiler; good to know.

message 34: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Vi wrote: "LK - I haven't tried audio except Harry Potter. Maybe I should give this a try??"

Well, now that you've broken into the media, go for it. ☺

message 35: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Karen, The Last Viking (Viking II, #1) by Sandra Hill looks pretty good, too.

message 36: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Tracey wrote: "I read the first book because it was so highly recommended and it looked really good, but I couldn't get into it."

To be honest, Tracey, I couldn't get into the first one at first, either. Then I tried the audio and loved it. Loved the second one,too. I did it as a "buddy read" - and for the most part my co-readers liked the second one better.

message 37: by Kari (new)

Kari Lisa Kay wrote: "Karen, The Last Viking (Viking II, #1) by Sandra Hill looks pretty good, too."

I liked it, had funny moments too. (view spoiler)

message 38: by Chris (last edited Sep 26, 2013 07:36PM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 312 comments Sounds Good!

The Firebirdby Susanna Kearsley 484 pps. Finished 09/04/13 SO GOOD!
Ruby Red 09/07/13 - 322 pps.
]Daughter of Time: A Time Travel Romance 09/26/13 353 pps.

The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley Ruby Red (Precious Stone Trilogy, #1) by Kerstin Gier Daughter of Time A Time Travel Romance (After Cilmeri, #0.5) by Sarah Woodbury

message 39: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments **chuckles**

message 40: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments Lk, let's do a buddy read of Lynn Kurland!! We could start it in January - 1 a month!!

And I loved both Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night but the 2nd one was much more action filled than the first. That's probably why most people liked it better.

I'm almost embarrassed to say that I've never read Judith McNaught or Sandra Hill. And I didn't know Nora Roberts had any time travel books. Where have I been!!

message 41: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Leslie wrote: "Lk, let's do a buddy read of Lynn Kurland!! We could start it in January - 1 a month!!"

Sounds good to me, Leslie! I think I'll set up the thread now, so I can start figuring out the order of the books.

message 42: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments LK, do you have the books? I have the paperbacks and of course can't read them. I would like to get them on my nook. Do you want me to send you what I have?

message 44: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Leslie wrote: "LK, do you have the books? I have the paperbacks and of course can't read them. I would like to get them on my nook. Do you want me to send you what I have?"

That would be wonderful, Leslie! I'll PM you my snail mail address.

message 45: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments Great, LK!! I'm happy to be able to do something nice for you! And thanks for setting up the Buddy Read thread.

message 46: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Sure, Leslie! Thank you!

message 47: by Manvir (new)

Manvir (lucyheartfilia) | 217 comments I'm not one for time travel books but my next book for Double Decker fits and it was free on Kobo.

Out of Time (Out of Time, #1) by Monique Martin

I honestly think the only recent time travel books I've read is Outlander and Undead and Unfinished lol.

message 48: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yes, I've read a few, but not a lot. I do like a good one, if it is well done and doesn't have a trick ending.

message 49: by Oleander (new)

Oleander | 188 comments I want to read that one too Manvir. Also got it as freebie

message 50: by Oleander (new)

Oleander | 188 comments Here are some good time travels I've read if anyone needs a suggestion
Return of the Highlander (Immortal Warriors, #1) by Sara Mackenzie Secrets of the Highwayman (Immortal Warriors, #2) by Sara Mackenzie Passions of the Ghost (Immortal Warriors, #3) by Sara Mackenzie
The Changeling Bride (Timeswept) (Heartspell) by Lisa Cach
A Highlander for Christmas by Sandy Blair

« previous 1 3