What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > Young adult trilogy, revolving around travelling through doors and threads. Multi-universe type thing. Fantasy, kingdoms lost, etc /s

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited Aug 29, 2013 08:23PM) (new)

Michael | 9 comments Hi,
I've been looking for this series for years ever since I read it in school when I was maybe 14-15. Would have been early 2000s.

Anywho, plot is as follows as best I can remember.
Teenage boy living on present day Earth, nothing special going on. I think he was walking through a construction site when these otherwordly humanoids came through a portal that was a door.

This portal system is made up of threads and there was this one girl who would place her hands on both sides of the door and guide different threads to attach to it. The point being that these different threads all led to a different planet/door. The threads were typically white I believe, but there were some corrupted threads that were black. There was also mention of tapestry's, I think.

I think she was a Princess possibly who had been exiled by her mad uncle. The teenage lad ended up being equipped with a mace as that was quite easy to use for a beginner.

The boy ended up going with them on their adventures to reclaim the Princesses kingdom or some such. Mainly medieval weaponry was used.

It was a three book series and I can't remember much about it but I did do an exhaustive Google search about a year back that came up empty! I really loved that trilogy!

Any help would be super appreciated!

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Hmm, a lot of your description sounds like a lot of other books, but the threads seem real specific.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael | 9 comments Yep, they certainly were. The person attempting to open the door would have to untie this thread and guide it mentally to sort of click to the door in order for it to open where they wanted.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Well 31 views so far, let's keep 'bumping' every month or two.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael | 9 comments Thanks for your help Cheryl.

I also seem to remember a black castle appearing in one of these worlds through the doors.

The enemies in the book were barely human. They were possibly constructs that were difficult to kill.

message 6: by Cassiopia (last edited Sep 24, 2013 06:55PM) (new)

Cassiopia Black | 1 comments Michael wrote: "Hi,
I've been looking for this series for years ever since I read it in school when I was maybe 14-15. Would have been early 2000s.

Anywho, plot is as follows as best I can remember.
Teenage boy l..."

I think I might have found what you're looking for.

"The Fionavar Tapestry" Trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fion...

Or maybe:

"Circle of Magic" or "The Circle Opens" by Tamora Pierce
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamora_P...

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael | 9 comments Hi Cassiopia,

Unfortunately, those aren't the books! The Fionavar Tapestry trilogy was pretty close but unfortunately it isn't the one.

It's definitely not Tamora Pierce either.

I'm beginning to wonder if it could perhaps have been an obscure Australian author and hence the reason I can't find anything anywhere!

Anywho, thanks for the effort and I'm actually going to go read those two suggestions of yours as they sound good! :)

Cheers

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Sep 25, 2013 01:02PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Michael, just keep bumping your thread once a every month or two. That way, it will stay "fresh" and close enough to the top of this thread that people will be reminded of it.

Sigh, I have GOT to stop getting adding all the books that look interesting to my tbr pile. My "pile" is now being referred to in my family as "Iftcan's mountain range." But I've definitely got to add the Fionavar Tapestry to my tbr pile.

message 9: by Brian (new)

Brian (furicle) Fionvar deserves to be next in line... Personal favourite :-)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 4 comments I'm looking for this as well! I seem to remember the boy hearing a noise outside one night and going out to find the group and having to escape with them. He ended up being able to see the threads too. It was something about their eyes. I think they were black, but they definitely had gold flecks. Other than him only people from the royal family could see the threads I think.

I remember a black castle in one of the worlds. I think the last book was set in the princess's kingdom? It's all very vague.

I really need to know what these books were called!

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael | 9 comments Thank god I'm not going insane!

Sarah, are you in Australia? I read these books while in high school.

All of what Sarah has said is exactly as I recall it as well.

I seem to remember some corrupt threads that exploded when tweaked? The protagonist tweaked them on purpose to use them as a weapon I think.

An uncle may have been a villain also.

Cheers

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 4 comments yes i'm in australia. i think i read them in late primary school (i was in grade six in 2000) but i could be off by a few years and i remember reading two then waiting for a while for the last one. whether it was because it hadn't come out yet or because the library didn't have it i don't know.

no one i've spoken to seems to know what i'm talking about and it's driving me crazy.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael | 9 comments Yep that sounds about right. I seem to recall reading them while in grade 8 in 2000.

Sigh, tis frustrating indeed. I've searched high and low all over the internet and not found a thing.

I'm thinking it may have been an Australian author who didn't go on to do anything after.

message 14: by Rob (new)

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael | 9 comments Oh my god! I found it thanks to rob! The author is Michael Pryor, first book is called House of Many Rooms!

Thank you so much!

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael | 9 comments It's called the Doorways trilogy!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michae...

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 4 comments i am so happy, you have no idea! thank you!!!!!!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 4 comments this might interest you. http://www.michaelpryor.com.au/articl... remember that cover?

message 19: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
BTW Sarah and Michael--it was searched for once before. Just thought that you'd like to know that. (And I can't find a copy of it in the U.S., so I've gone with downloading them from his links.)