What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

A Son of the Wild Pack
This topic is about A Son of the Wild Pack
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Dognapped! Spider, Andy's black spaniel. Other black dog Moses. [s]

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cornelia (last edited Aug 29, 2013 08:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cornelia Shields | 51 comments In this 5th-8th grade level novel, probably a drab 1950s-style hardcover, Andy, a sixteen-year-old boy, loses his black cocker spaniel, Spider, to dognappers in what he previously thought "the safest town in the world." Andy moves to the country and finds Moses, so named because he was found in rushes or by water. As I recall, Moses grows from a puppy into a huge black dog which helps Andy and his dad locate the dognappers. Later, they find Spider, who somehow escaped the dognappers to be adopted by some nice people. This has been online for many years with no solution, so I'll include a link I hope works to the "Not-It list." It seemed somewhat dated when read in 1974, but the story could take place just about any time from the '20s to the '50s. It has proven so extremely difficult to find I suspect it was either from a small, obscure publisher, a country outside of the U. S., or both.

The Not-It list: http://forums.abebooks.com/discussion...

message 2: by She (new)

She Reads | 110 comments BUMP!

Cornelia Shields | 51 comments Thanks for bumping this up. Still remains one of the longest-unsolved stumpers online.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
No that old here on GR. We recently (Meaning the group here) had a book ID'ed after 5 years. Just bump it up periodically (like every 30 to 60 days) so that it stays fresh in people's minds.

message 5: by She (new)

She Reads | 110 comments Did you read this in school? There is a very small chance that your old school library has cataloged their books online and you can search for it there (maybe, just maybe they still have it after all these years). Maybe a old classmate might remember it, ask your friends on Facebook?
Praying you find the answer.

Cornelia Shields | 51 comments Yes, our sixth grade teacher read the book but I don't know where she got it. The school library was small and I went through it pretty thoroughly years ago. I asked the teacher only a few years later; she didn't remember and I doubt any classmate would remember. Thanks.

message 7: by She (last edited Apr 22, 2014 08:48PM) (new)

She Reads | 110 comments Cornelia wrote: "Yes, our sixth grade teacher read the book but I don't know where she got it. The school library was small and I went through it pretty thoroughly years ago. I asked the teacher only a few years ..."

You know, you never know. It's worth a try. If it made that kind of memory on you, SOMEONE has to know. I remember really good books from my early school days that we read aloud in class. You must still know a deep thinker or bibliophile classmate from those days, one of the shy, quiet ones. They just might have your answer, and they will understand. These things, they are all a part of us.

Cornelia Shields | 51 comments That's really nice, thanks.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39824 comments Mod
Cornelia, are you still looking for this or have you found it?

Cornelia Shields | 51 comments Still looking and if I wasn't deathly afraid of Ouija boards we would be going that route!

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking now?

Cornelia Shields | 51 comments Yes, it is down to either seance or regressive hypnosis and I'm deathly afraid of both!

message 13: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2072 comments Keep bumping the post every 30 days so more people will have a chance to see it. Good luck!

message 14: by Cornelia (last edited Feb 20, 2019 02:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cornelia Shields | 51 comments SOLVED! 45 years after being read, after a 41-year search to identify it, the last 20 years of it in various places online, this book has been identified by SilentTurtle on Booksleuth at AbeBooks Forums as "A Son Of The Wild Pack," by Arthur C. Bartlett. Every detail of a copy for sale online matches! It has been ordered and the accuracy of my memory shall be further confirmed.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Terrific. Thanks for letting us know.

Cornelia Shields | 51 comments Just checked and it is in the database here. I was a little worried about possibly having to add pre-ISBN books or books where the ISBN is not in this database.

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie A. | 289 comments I am super late to the party, but I just wanna say that I have been invested in the discovery of this title since you first posted, and more than once tried to research it myself. Thought I had set it to notify me when people commented, but since I apparently hadn't...I'm so happy it has been identified! I about fell over in shock when I saw "SOLVED" in front of the post title.

Cornelia Shields | 51 comments I appreciate everyone's efforts. The book is in hand and accurate to every detail of what I remembered.

message 19: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Terrific.