The Challenge Factory discussion

Shadow of Night (All Souls, #2)
This topic is about Shadow of Night
2013 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Drew, Jennifer C., & Stacy -Shadow of night

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Drew, Jennifer C., & Stacy -Shadow of night

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Hey guys! Just checking in. When do you want to start? I have a bunch of buddy reads this month, so I can fit it in whenever. Let me know.

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments Hello there! No I did not see this thread. I am finishing a book tonight so can get going on Shadow as early as tomorrow.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments OK great! I'll start this as soon as I finish Origin. I'm a little over halfway through now.

I don't know if you've ever done a buddy read before, but it's pretty simple and there aren't many rules. Just post what chapter you are on when you comment and if you are writing about anything important to the story that would ruin it for everyone else, just use spoilers. To use spoilers you just type spoiler with <> around it at the beginning of the comment and /spoiler with <> around it at the end of the comment.

And most important ~ JUST HAVE FUN! Hopefully Drew checks in soon! If you have any other questions, just ask!

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments Ok thanks Jennifet. No I haven't done one yet. So I will post in a day or so- sound good?

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Perfect. I'll try and finish this one tonight. I'll start Wednesday at the latest.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (drewgrigaliunas) Hey all. I started reading our book last night and I am on chapter 2. This is going to be fun!!!

--DREW

:) :) :P

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments Sounds great! I've started too- really cool. I will post soon:)

message 9: by Stacey (last edited Sep 09, 2013 05:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments Hi guys- I ahve read through chapter three and am new at the buddy read 'system' so I will just give it a go;)
I continue to feel like I felt at the end of the first book- How did they ever think they were going to slip Diana into the 16th century and think she'd fit in?! I'm sure it is a historian's dream to experience the events he/she spends their career researching but wow! You go from the northeast to the midwest and people are asking where you're from! Of course if they realized it would be impossible for her to fit in then we wouldn't have a book to read- and I really do like it.
I did Google Matthew's friends- The School Of Night- to brush up on their biographies. I enjoy how she incorporated this historical fiction into the supernatural genre. I am not enjoying Kit's whiney behavior. He is acting like a jealous teenager and simply mean to Diana, which she surprisingly tolerates since it is the way women are treated in Elizabethen London I suppose.
But boy is Matthew happy here! I could sense his longing for this time and place in the first book- should be interesting.
And I have a feeling Marlowe is going to be more than a thorn in their side- I don't like or trust him!
What do you all think?? Or feel free to change up the discussion of course;)

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Hey guys! I just finished the second chapter. I hate Kit already too. I love how the history is intertwined in the story, even more than the first book. I can't wait for them to run into Shakespeare. I'm really glad that this isn't coming easily to Diana. It wouldn't be realistic if it did... not that time travel is realistic. :-)

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I just finished chapter 6... Wow! So much happened since I posted last!

(view spoiler)

I'm really enjoying this so far. I just wish I had more time to devote to it right now. How far are you?

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments Jennifer- can you tell me how to 'hide spoilers' so I can post. Never done that yet!
I am through 7 and love it as well. So glad they're off to Sept Tours to see Philippe- very interesting!
I am done with my other reading challenge group now so will be more focused on this one..

message 13: by Jennifer C. (last edited Sep 14, 2013 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments To use spoilers you just type spoiler with <> around it at the beginning of the comment and /spoiler with <> around it at the end of the comment.

If you click where it says (some html is ok) right above the comment box, it will give you a list of how to use spoilers, bold, italics, underline, etc...

message 14: by Jennifer C. (last edited Sep 14, 2013 09:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments And I'm up to Chapter 10. Just starting it now.

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Stacey (last edited Sep 14, 2013 10:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments Ok thanks Jennifer for the help! I will go on the computer and check that out later. Then update with real content.
How are you liking it Drew??

message 16: by Stacey (last edited Sep 14, 2013 03:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments Well it seems their 'plan' to get in and out of the past quick isn't going as planned!

I am glad they are off to Sept Tours. At least Diana will have some familiarity there as well...

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments Jennifer C. wrote: "To use spoilers you just type spoiler with around it at the beginning of the comment and /spoiler with around it at the end of the comment.

If you click where it says (some html is ok) right abo..."

Jennifer C. wrote: "And I'm up to Chapter 10. Just starting it now.

I'm not sure how I feel about all these secrets. And now they aren't even really married?!?! She seems very determined to be his mate, but I th..."

Can you read my spoiler part?? I don't see it there!

message 18: by Stacey (last edited Sep 14, 2013 03:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments Aha! THink I got it!
(view spoiler)

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments You got the spoiler Stacey, but did you type anything in between? There isn't anything there in message 18.

I'm at the beginning of chapter 11 now.

(view spoiler)

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments Jennifer C. wrote: "You got the spoiler Stacey, but did you type anything in between? There isn't anything there in message 18.

I'm at the beginning of chapter 11 now.

I really liked the scene in the church. I kno..."

that ws so weird bc it was there when I opened mine to edit it! Now it's there??

message 21: by Jennifer C. (last edited Sep 14, 2013 03:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Now it's there. That is weird.

And about your spoiler. I wonder how much of the present we'll see in this book. I think they'll probably come back at the end of this one and the repercussions of their actions in the past will be hashed out in the final book of the trilogy.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments The one thing I keep thinking about is how many people he is introducing Diana to as his wife. So what happens when the Matthew of that time comes back and has no idea he ever had a wife and the wife is nowhere to be found??? Seems like that would raise a few questions.

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments I was thinking that too! And where exactly is that Matthew since they can't both exist?! What the heck is he going to think when he 'returns' and everyone wonders where the wife is!

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments What if they switched and he's in present day? That would be awkward. I'm sure it would be much more difficult for him to adjust to present day. At least Diana is an historian and knows all about the past. But that's probably not where he is.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Hey guys! I'm in the middle of chapter 22 now. There is so much cool stuff happening in it.

(view spoiler)

I'm sure that there are things that I'm forgetting, but there is just so much that I want to discuss... How far are you into it?

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments Hi Jennifer! I'm just finishing 21 and will post later from my computer. Too hard on phone:). I really like what they've done with it now too

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments Hello there- I'm in the middle of 25 but wanted to update.
(view spoiler)

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I'm on chapter 27 now...

(view spoiler)

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Hey! Just checking in... I've finished chapter 35, but I started reading another book along with it. I have too many buddy reads this month. :) How far are you? Did you finish?

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments Same thing happened to me! And life crowded in on me this Sept;). I am almost there and expect finish hopefully tonight! I am halfway thru 34.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I know what you mean. I'm going to try to finish tonight too. I still have one more buddy read this month. Right down to the wire. :)

message 32: by Jennifer C. (last edited Sep 26, 2013 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I'm just starting Chapter 39...

(view spoiler)

I'll definitely finish this tonight. It's going so fast now.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I finished! I loved it!

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments Me too! Okay I know I'm tired right now but I'm confused- what the heck happened to Emily???!!

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I thought it was just me. I don't think they ever said. I think we'll find out in the next book. The first one ended with Diana time travelling and she doesn't know that she's dead. So I'm assuming something happened and that is why they are all at Sept Tours. But if that was in the first book, I don't remember it. It has been a while, but I think I would remember that!

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments I think we are correct and the reader doesn't know anythng yet- what a cliff hanger! Probably something to do with nasty Peter Knox! He was up to something that we didn't really get to see- and planning a raid on Sept Tours. Looks like the war will begin in book 3!
I am interested to see how much their tampering messed with the future- like Stephen said, they were there for way too long! I loved how they brought him in at the end- He couldn't have coincidentally shown up just at that time and place?! She needed to speak to him etc. I really like how the author researched the time and really made us feel like we were there.
Looking forward to book three- do you know when it will be out??

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments The third book doesn't come out till sometime next year. They haven't even set a date yet. :(

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments Yes it looked a little nebulous! Maybe we could buddy read it when it does:).

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Absolutely. This is a really good series to BR. So much stuff happens!

I wonder if Drew ever finished.

Stacey Kennedy | 1063 comments Right! I was wondering what happened to him too!?