Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Erased (Altered, #2)
This topic is about Erased
Book Cover Help > Delete ARC cover (edition)?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph (last edited Aug 29, 2013 08:06PM) (new)

Steph Sinclair (stephaniesinclair) | 14 comments Erased has an edition that technically doesn't exist since it is the ARC cover. The ISBN also turns up no search results for a book on Amazon.

The first cover was originally revealed back in March on on the author's blog, but she also mentioned that it was not the final cover.

The real cover has been revealed by the publisher here. That edition's ISBN does show up on Amazon.

Since a lot of people have the ARC cover added to their shelves, I'm guessing a super librarian would have to take care of this one, if it needs to be deleted.

message 2: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl A fair number of people read ARCs and shelve them, so it is a legitimate edition and should not be deleted.

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments ARC editions are valid as separate entries from the regularly published editions, if there is a difference between the ARC and the regular.

It's not great that a lot of people who meant to add the regular edition have instead shelved the ARC, but we don't really police that. The author is welcome to make the regular edition the default in search results, if she'd like, but that's not a feature available to librarians.

message 4: by Steph (new)

Steph Sinclair (stephaniesinclair) | 14 comments Ah, okay. This is the first time I have seen an ARC edition (and I am aware of them since that is mostly the format in which I read), which is why I decided to ask before I edited anything, but perhaps the format should be changed from Hardcover? Seems kind of misleading to regular users since this was, at first, thought to be the final cover.

message 5: by Lobstergirl (last edited Aug 29, 2013 08:39PM) (new)

Lobstergirl I'm not even seeing which one is the ARC (without the OP pointing it out) - it's not labeled as such, is it? Normally people label it as an ARC to make sure it doesn't get deleted, because it might lack an ISBN or it might share an ISBN with the final cover. Since both hardcover editions have unique ISBNs, actually in this case there's not even a need to label it an ARC, unless people who shelved it want it labeled that way.

message 6: by Steph (last edited Aug 29, 2013 08:44PM) (new)

Steph Sinclair (stephaniesinclair) | 14 comments I know, that's what I mean. The ISBN for the first edition I mentioned, doesn't even pull up a book on Amazon. I'm not sure why this is. Do ISBNs change for books before release day?

The cover was uploaded when it was thought to be the final cover for the book. It was never labeled as an ARC edition. The author simply mentioned during the cover reveal that it was the ARC cover.

***SIDE NOTE: This is the ARC cover, so the design is not final yet, though I imagine at this point, any tweaks will be small. Since, HELLO THAT COVER IS GORGEOUS.

But everyone thought it was the real cover. The book is not out until next year.

message 7: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl There are some legit books on GR whose ISBNs can't be found on Amazon or other bookselling sites. They're still legit books, or at least they can be legit.

Some ARCs will have the same ISBN as the final released book. It's certainly possible some won't.

As Cait said above, if the author is concerned about which cover is displaying, he/she can select a default edition.

message 8: by Steph (new)

Steph Sinclair (stephaniesinclair) | 14 comments Interesting. I was not aware an ARC would even have a different ISBN from at least one of the published editions.

I don't know if the author is concerned or not. I just found that edition to be misleading being labeled as hardcover when it is the ARC edition and the book doesn't have two hardcover editions.

message 9: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 359 comments The cover on the BR book page has the "advanced reading not for sale" image on it.

That first edition ISBN doesn't come up on WorldCat either. I wonder if typo. The ISBN-10 ends in 5353, but ISBN-13 5354. Don't they usually match?

I did do a general search on the internet using BING, for 9781478925354 - and the Hachette site came up. It is listed for the Audio Version. If you scroll to the formats section and click audio.

message 10: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 359 comments Big publishers probably give a different ISBN to the ARC on the chance that enough content could change, which would require a new ISBN under the rules. So if they give it one ISBN they don't have to worry about re-using it in error.

message 11: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Bookworm R wrote: "The ISBN-10 ends in 5353, but ISBN-13 5354. Don't they usually match?"

No, actually they never do.

message 12: by Steph (last edited Aug 29, 2013 09:07PM) (new)

Steph Sinclair (stephaniesinclair) | 14 comments Ahh, now that makes sense. It probably is the audio version. And if that is the case, the cover is incorrect and the edition is mislabeled.

I have never encountered any of my ARCs having a different ISBN from the final version (and I have had a few hundred from big publishers). Not saying it doesn't happen.

message 13: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Actually Worldcat says the pub year for ISBNs 9780316197151 and 0316197157 is 2013. I wonder if that's an error?

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42009 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Bookworm R wrote: "The ISBN-10 ends in 5353, but ISBN-13 5354. Don't they usually match?"

No, actually they never do."

Not never. About 15% of the time, IIRC.

message 15: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 359 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Bookworm R wrote: "The ISBN-10 ends in 5353, but ISBN-13 5354. Don't they usually match?"

No, actually they never do."

Well, you can tell how many ISBN-10's I've seen. Not many since books only seem to show the 13. Thanks for the heads up!

message 16: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Oh really? I've never come across ones that had identical last four digits.

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

message 18: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 359 comments Thank goodness I still get to learn something new everyday!

message 19: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Bookworm R wrote: "Well, you can tell how many ISBN-10's I've seen. Not many since books only seem to show the 13. "

I'm mostly looking at books from the ISBN-10 era, and the 10 and 13 joint era. Now it's true all books only seem to be issued with ISBN 13s and to me the records look like someone leaving the house with a shirt but no pants. Half naked!

message 20: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl rivka wrote: "Useful: http://pcn.loc.gov/isbncnvt.html"

Oh, I know. I have that site bookmarked and use it all the time.

message 21: by Steph (last edited Aug 29, 2013 09:29PM) (new)

Steph Sinclair (stephaniesinclair) | 14 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Actually Worldcat says the pub year for ISBNs 9780316197151 and 0316197157 is 2013. I wonder if that's an error?"

Well, it has to be since the publisher has said it's coming out in 2014. But I guess the mystery is solved since it is the audio book listed on the publisher's site.

But question: is it okay to change the cover, then, to the final one?

message 22: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 359 comments I had entered a few international books that it matched, so I guess I just found a few of those 15%.

message 23: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Now it's true all books only seem to be issued with ISBN 13s and to me the records look like someone leaving the house with a shirt but no pants. Half naked!"

It won't be long before we have ISBN13s that don't map back to an ISBN10. Remember, the goal was to increase the number of available ISBNs, not to just make them longer.

message 24: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Steph wrote: "But question: is it okay to change the cover, then, to the final one?"

I would say no, because a bunch of reviewers shelved that cover and refer specifically to it and have shelved it with the tag galley or ARC. Maybe Rivka will have a different opinion since the book has actually not been published yet - but generally if someone read a galley copy with a particular cover, that cover does not get deleted, even if the author requests it.

message 25: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl It seems like the publisher is reusing the galley ISBN for the audiobook edition, no?

message 26: by Plethora (last edited Aug 29, 2013 10:31PM) (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 359 comments I would agree, it was published for review. Some reviewers have indicated they read an ARC.

I would leave it and add Alternate Cover Edition.

I think saying a book hasn't been published yet is allowing many covers to be taken down without clarifying, was an ARC released with that cover.

message 27: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I agree that the cover should not be removed. But perhaps the ISBN should be transferred to a new edition with the correct format?

message 28: by Steph (new)

Steph Sinclair (stephaniesinclair) | 14 comments rivka wrote: "I agree that the cover should not be removed. But perhaps the ISBN should be transferred to a new edition with the correct format?"

I agree with this. Otherwise, the cover and edition are not logged correctly and if someone goes to add the audio version, its ISBN will come up as taken. And perhaps label that edition as ARC?

Lobstergirl wrote: "It seems like the publisher is reusing the galley ISBN for the audiobook edition, no?"

I highly doubt they are reusing the ISBN. It's more likely that it was always the audiobook ISBN and that the format was just improperly labeled as "hardcover" by another user since it was once assumed to be the real cover.

In fact, when you look at the librarian log for this version, the ARC cover used to be for that edition too, but was changed when the publisher revealed the real cover.

message 29: by Steph (new)

Steph Sinclair (stephaniesinclair) | 14 comments Bookworm R wrote: "I would agree, it was published for review. Some reviewers have indicated they read an ARC.

I would leave it and add Alternate Cover Edition.

I think saying a book hasn't been published yet is al..."

A lot of the ARC covers I have don't match the finished copy or don't have covers at all. So I usually just select the hardcover of paperback edition and keep a "print ARC shelf" for them. I wasn't even aware we could add ARC editions to GR. As long as I've been reading ARCs and been on GR, I've never seen it. I guess you learn something everyday.

Most YA books have ARCs so it doesn't surprise me to see users indicating they have one shelved.

message 30: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 359 comments Steph wrote: "...In fact, when you look at the librarian log for this version, the ARC cover used to be for that edition too, but was changed when the publisher revealed the real cover. ..."

I was afraid this is what has been happening. I see now all the cover request just ask if its been published with that cover and replies, no book just comes out xxxx. But no mention if ARC editions are floating around with that cover. I can see this being an exception to moving the ISBN, where the ARC is maybe given the ISBN at the start and labeled as ARC edition. When final release, the ISBN be added to that version and the ARC becoming an Alternate Cover Edition. Since when you search by ISBN it only gets the record with the ISBN in the field, not the Alternates (without going to other editions).

message 31: by Steph (last edited Aug 30, 2013 08:36AM) (new)

Steph Sinclair (stephaniesinclair) | 14 comments The thing with that is that most of the time, maybe around 90%, the ARC cover is not released like it was in this instance. I add a lot of covers to GR for YA books since I do a cover feature on my blog and it's just not done. And ARCs don't have separate ISBNs (or at least, I have never encountered that. They've always had the finished copy's ISBN for reviewers' reference). They show all the ISBN numbers for both the hardcover/paperback and ebooks.

So unless someone is taking a picture of their ARC cover and posting it to GR (which I know is acceptable according to the manual), I don't foresee there being many ARC cover editions.

Now, there have been times when publishers change the cover art before the book has been published and the ARC has the first cover art. This happened with The Beginning of Everything. They also changed the title before publication.

There was also the time where After Eden's cover was changed by the publisher 2 or 3 times, all within a few months before ARCs were even produced. The ARC covers have the final cover.

In Erased's situation, the ARC cover is just listed on the wrong edition. So I agree with making it an alternative cover and uploading the correct cover for the audiobook.