Romance novels taught me... discussion

What did I learn from romance novels?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (D.L.) (new)

Diane (D.L.) Rogers (dlrogers) | 4 comments Hi Lynn and Susan, hoping to involve myself in some good discussions. First, what I learned - surprisingly I learned a lot about the places the romances were set in. Specifically, Scotland and England by reading Julie Gardwood's historicals. Unfortunately, since she's moved away from the historicals, I don't read her anymore. She's still a great writer, I just miss her original works. The Prize. The Gift. The Bride to name a few. She had me laughing and crying more than once.

I have learned a great deal of history from the historicals I've read. Part of my passion for history is reading about it wrapped in great stories.

message 2: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 1 comments I've also learned a great deal of history. I also learned that love is not easy...none of us are perfect and we need to get ourselves straight before we can give anything to another person.
My favorite Julie Gardwood's is Saving Grace. (I think that's her)

message 3: by Diane (D.L.) (new)

Diane (D.L.) Rogers (dlrogers) | 4 comments Yep, that was one of hers. I'll get rid of a lot of books, but not Julie's historicals. Saving Grace, if I recall, was a regency set in England?? I've actually met Julie three times (and she remembered me! :D). What a neat lady! Tiny little bit of a thing, but so much energy and such a great story-tellers!

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Kellan (lynnkellan) | 2 comments Mod
Hi Diane and Jolene,
YES, I totally agree. I get a great feel for the historical time period and locale of historical romances. Oh my gosh, I love Julie Garwood. The Gift and The Bride are still among my favorites. I think I read Saving Grace...I'll have to read it again because it's been so long ago.

I hope you have a chance to get lost in a book this weekend!
Warmly,
Lynn

message 5: by Diane (D.L.) (new)

Diane (D.L.) Rogers (dlrogers) | 4 comments I hope I'm not going where I shouldn't be here, so please forgive me if I am and feel free to delete this post if I am. Responding to your "I hope you have a chance to get lost in a book this weekend!" I fully intend to get lost in the keys of the one I'm writing. I got a bit of a hand-slap in one of the groups I joined because I mentioned I was a writer, so I don't want to overstep my bounds. So as I right now, I plan (happily) to be chained to my computer working away. My children and friends are traveling so it's just me and hubby. Maybe by Monday, when it's supposed to cool down some, I'll be able to saddle up one of my horses and take a couple trips around the pasture!

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Kellan (lynnkellan) | 2 comments Mod
No worries, Diane. I'm hoping to do some writing, too, but part of me is hoping my family will pull me away from the keyboard for much of the weekend.

By the way, I'm terrified of horses, so I'm very impressed you ride. :)

message 7: by Diane (D.L.) (new)

Diane (D.L.) Rogers (dlrogers) | 4 comments Good to know!

I have loved horses since I was little, but didn't get my first one until I was 40!!! Broke her and trained her myself. Took two years. She didn't buck me off until looong after she'd already been broken, but those are different stories. You're not a real horseman until you've been dumped! :D And I've been dumped a few times. I used to bounce pretty well, but as I get older, I don't want to find out how well I bounce anymore. hehe