Literary Horror discussion

Horror Publishers and Presses > Centipede Press

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uminsky (benjaminu) | 340 comments Oh... such pretty books. I absolutely adore their Masters of the Weird Tale series.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott I like that (for reprints) they include the old edition cover art.

message 4: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 21 comments Scott wrote: "I like that (for reprints) they include the old edition cover art."

I think Centipede is basically one guy but I cannot remember his name. He has some pretty esoteric tastes. I always get e-mails from him asking if someone knows anything about some obscure author, whether he's still alive or what is the status of their copyright. He even just asks what people would be interested in seeing Centipede publish. Their books are beautiful and the texts as close to perfect as possible.

message 5: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 21 comments Jodi wrote: "His name's Jared. Real nice guy. He won the Bram Stoker Specialty Press Award this year. Well-deserved."

Thanks. Brain freeze.

message 6: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 21 comments I just ordered Grindhouse from them and will probably buy The Witch House by Evangeline Walton when it comes out. Unfortunately I have so many different editions of AtMoM that I'll probably pass on that particular one.

message 7: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 21 comments Jodi wrote: "Mike wrote: "Just got an email from Jerad...looks like Centipede is doing a VERY deluxe edition of At The Mountains of Madness in the near future.... I am happy."

I'd love to get The Monk w/intro ..."

Jerad Walters.

message 8: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 21 comments Here are the details of the new Centipede Dreams of the Witch House by Evalgeline Walton:

The expanded Centipede edition of Witch House contains the twenty-thousand word prologue to the novel, never reprinted in full before now, written by Walton for the 1950 British edition, along with newly published material including two chapters of an unfinished novel about the Salem witchcraft trials. Also included is a new introduction by Douglas A. Anderson, a new afterword by by writer and historian Darrell Schweitzer, and an interview with Walton by Schweitzer as well.
This edition also features bonus short stories by Evangeline Walton, color reproductions of every domestic and foreign edition of Witch House ever published.
The interior illustrations are by noted artist Rodger Gerberding. The jacket is by J.K. Potter. The book is bound in black cloth with the cover image inset into the front board. The whole is wrapped in a striking dustjacket. The edition is limited to just 200 copies and each is signed by Douglas A. Anderson, Rodger Gerberding, J.K Potter, Darrell Schweitzer, and a special facsimile signature by Evangeline Walton.

message 9: by Randolph (last edited Jan 21, 2014 03:05PM) (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 21 comments Finally received Witch House from Centipede today.

I also received something(s) from Amazon that I cannot remember ordering again.

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott Looks like a nice edition.

message 11: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 21 comments Scott wrote: "Looks like a nice edition."

It is. Has some nice bonus content.

message 12: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 21 comments Jared Walters always throws all sorts of crap into the boxes with the books you order. He sent 7 different mint dust jackets from various books, they must be overruns. One was actually worthwhile for me since I own The Nestling already and now I have a second dj. There was some random proof of some book artwork and a sticker (?) of the Sax Rohmer cover art. The dj are very nice and a couple of the wrap-arounds would be nice to frame.

message 13: by Scott (new)

Scott Nice. I've never gotten anything directly from them, only through Amazon.

message 14: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 21 comments You never know what you are going to get when you order something from Centipede Press. I've gotten frameable unbound artwork, stickers, overrun frameable covers, it's like Las Vegas. This time takes the cake though. I bought an overrun copy of James Herbert's The Dark and when I opened the box I realized there was another book wrapped with it that I didn't order. It isn't even a Centipede book. It was The Urth of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe vg in dj with a mylar cover. It looks like it was sent to Centipede as a binding quality sample. Weird.

message 15: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 22 comments Randolph wrote: "You never know what you are going to get when you order something from Centipede Press. I've gotten frameable unbound artwork, stickers, overrun frameable covers, it's like Las Vegas. This time t..."

That's great!

message 16: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 21 comments I continue to be astonished by the things I get from Centipede. I have a signed numbered copy of The Traitor where the TOC page tells me The Tyrant will begin on page 15, even though the introduction is correctly stated and placed.

I bought a second hand copy of The Tenant that is supposedly from a signed edition of "Three hundred copies are bound in cloth and signed and numbered. Twenty copies are bound in leather and enclosed in a cloth traycase."

Mine is leather bound(?) without a traycase(?) and numbered "256"(?) with Ligotti's signature.

message 17: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 21 comments Once again I have a Centipede book that states "300 numbered cloth bound copies, 20 numbered leather bound copies." The book I hold in my hand is leather bound and numbered 71.

message 18: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 21 comments I checked Centipede's backstock and surprisingly they still have some in-print books from prior years (some way back) that I thought would have sold out, (The Fog by James Herbert) for instance, while others are long gone. The dent and miscellaneous "found" books are somewhat bizarre at times. Sometimes unsigned copies will end up to be vastly rarer than the signed copy of a book. The books that offer second printings are mystifying as to choice to reprint and what's chosen to be offered in trade paperback and less expensive, hardcover, sometimes limited, editions are baffling at times as well.

Other publishers are very strict about limited editions and tend to destroy unsigned copies, for instance.

message 19: by Redrighthand (new)

Redrighthand On a similar note, I grabbed the recent "Blackwater" set when it suddenly appeared for $150 after the initial $210 offer price.
Soon after with only a few copies remaining, I noticed the price had been bumped up again to $180.

message 20: by Char (new)

Char That set was gorgeous. Ryan at Valancourt received them recently and he posted pictures of them on FB. Just beautiful.

message 21: by Redrighthand (new)

Redrighthand Charlene wrote: "That set was gorgeous. Ryan at Valancourt received them recently and he posted pictures of them on FB. Just beautiful."

I got it because I love Michael McDowell and had only read the first three books in the series. They clearly put a lot of work into producing the set and I feel it is worth the $150 I spent. My only complaint would be that I'm not a fan of the photo illustrations showing the characters. I'd prefer artistic renderings rather than the costumed models. Just my preference.

message 22: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 21 comments I'm surprised they fire-saled the Michael McDowell set since I believe it would have easily sold out at MFP, maybe a cash flow issue. Not a good sign if it is.

Centipede's behavior is almost as bizarre as Cemetery Dance's but they have better content and execution. If you look on places like eBay they will describe a Centipede book as out of print that Centipede has 20 copies found in the basement for sale. The only frustration is if you jump on an edition up front for full price and then see it on heavy discount later it can kind of bum you out, but I guess caveat emptor as with everything in life. I don't think Centipede has any nefarious motives or schemes (unlike some other publishers I can name) just strange habits at times.

I love their books though.

message 23: by Char (new)

Char Red, a little off topic, but I love Michael McDowell too. I only started reading his work last year, but I'm hooked.:)

message 24: by Redrighthand (new)

Redrighthand Yeah? That's me, too. It was only last year when i joined Goodreads that I was turned on to his books after hearing a certain member over at the Horror Aficionados forum keep going on about him.
I owe that lady big time for all the enjoyment (and shivers) i would have otherwise missed. :D

message 25: by Char (new)

Char I bet you her name is Tressa. She's the one that recommended him to me also. :)

message 26: by Canavan (new)

Canavan Randolph commented (in part):

The only frustration is if you jump on an edition up front for full price and then see it on heavy discount later it can kind of bum you out, but I guess caveat emptor as with everything in life.

I've no real complaints regarding Centipede's behavior (i.e., in the way that I've occasionally griped about other publishers) and Jerad Walters has never been anything but receptive when I've asked him questions about his products. I do sometimes wish their books weren't so darned expensive -- especially the ones in their Masters of the Weird Tales series.