Literary Horror discussion

William Hope Hodgson
This topic is about William Hope Hodgson
Authors > William Hope Hodgson

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Char (new)

Char That sounds like a blast! I hope you have a good time.

The only WHH I've read is House on the Borderlands. What else of his would you recommend?

message 2: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uminsky (benjaminu) | 361 comments Charlene wrote: "That sounds like a blast! I hope you have a good time.

The only WHH I've read is House on the Borderlands. What else of his would you recommend?"

Perhaps this Charlene...
http://www.centipedepress.com/masters...

; )

message 3: by Teddy (new)

Teddy G (teddy-g) | 51 comments I really like his short story 'The Whistling Room'.

message 4: by Teddy (new)

Teddy G (teddy-g) | 51 comments Randolph wrote: "A thread for WHH. https://williamhopehodgson.wordpress...."

Great!

message 5: by Teddy (new)

Teddy G (teddy-g) | 51 comments The Night Land was excruciating, which I think was part of Hodgson's intention. The second half is very flawed indeed but as a whole it's an amazing experience.

message 6: by Teddy (new)

Teddy G (teddy-g) | 51 comments Some of his stories aren't as great as others.
The Whistling Room is about a room that whistles, which doesn't sound like much until you 'see' it. I thought it was unforgettable.

message 7: by Neil (new)

Neil B (neil77) The Night Land is simultaneously one of the best and worst books I've read in my life.

House on the Borderland is a classic. Hodgson's a real favourite of mine.

message 8: by Char (new)

Char I Added The Nightlands and the Glen Carrig one too my TBR. Thanks!

message 9: by Teddy (new)

Teddy G (teddy-g) | 51 comments Randolph wrote: "Sam Gafford's collection of essays Sam Gafford Hodgson: A Collection of Essays was just published. In case you couldn't tell I'm a collector of all things William Hope Hodgson."

looks great

message 10: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uminsky (benjaminu) | 361 comments Hey Randolph,

Who is the publisher? Will this be published as tpb,hb, and/or e-reader? There was scant information on the website. Great cover logo though.

message 11: by Canavan (new)

Canavan | 0 comments Randolph wrote (in part):

Sam Gafford, noted William Hope Hodgson scholar, has just revealed the cover for Carnacki: The New Adventures. Knowing Gafford it will be pretty good. It should be available from Amazon in a week or so.

I’ll probably pick this up, although as a rule I’m not too keen on these kinds of themed anthologies. I’d also feel better if I were familiar with more than two of the authors.

message 12: by Teddy (new)

Teddy G (teddy-g) | 51 comments great news!

message 13: by Neil (new)

Neil B (neil77) I read somewhere, maybe a Wormwood blog post, about Hodgson tying up Harry Houdini on stage so that he could not escape. Apparently WHH may have been a bit of a rascal and jammed the locks as well as injuring him :-)

Both WHH and his contemporary Blackwood did seem to lead very interesting lives.

message 14: by Neil (new)

Neil B (neil77) I really want to watch Matango now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVyRYj...

message 15: by Sirensongs (new)

Sirensongs | 6 comments I'm going to be totally superficial here: Hodgson was HOT and I find it sad that he had low self esteem due to his height. Whenever I see one of his pictures I swoon.

I read an article about that Hodgson/Houdini incident in one of the issues of Weird Fiction Review. I was kind of surprised that he could be so vindictive, as he always struck me as being a more gentle sort, his obsession with wrestling and athletics notwithstanding. I suppose that misconception was just another result of his dreamy and delicate features on me...

message 16: by Sirensongs (new)

Sirensongs | 6 comments I don't think age necessarily equates with ugliness, nor youth with beauty, but that's another topic entirely. In any case it is quite sad that Hodgson got cut down in the prime of his life. To think of all the great tales that the world missed out on is heartbreaking!

message 17: by Karl (new)

Karl Archive of Edwardian-era Writer of Horror, Sci-fi Donated to UCR
Eaton Collection will celebrate acquisition of William Hope Hodgson collection April 16

http://ucrtoday.ucr.edu/21554

message 18: by Neil (new)

Neil B (neil77) Thanks Randolph, Sargasso looks good. There's something I really like about DIY small press journals.

message 19: by Char (last edited Aug 25, 2014 04:13PM) (new)

Char That's a killer Daniele Serra cover. I love that guy's work.
I'm not sure that a collection of critical essays would be pleasing to me.

message 20: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 72 comments Another author I recently found out about. I did a piece on him and analyzed his books to see how they fair here on Goodreads. People certainly do like him and he does pretty well on here.

message 21: by Karl (new)

Karl Justin wrote: "Another author I recently found out about. I did a piece on him and analyzed his books to see how they fair here on Goodreads. People certainly do like him and he does pretty well on here."

What kind of "Piece on him" did you do ?

message 22: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 72 comments I mentioned a few of his works and analyzed them to see how they fair here on Goodreads. I also then compared to see how he fairs compared to Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu. Basically I mentioned a few of their works, do my own calculating of how they rate on here and compare to give an overall conclusion as to what people think of them.

message 23: by Canavan (new)

Canavan | 0 comments Justin said (in part):

I mentioned a few of his works and analyzed them to see how they fair here on Goodreads.

Which perhaps raises the question — does anyone really take the Goodreads ratings seriously? I’ve always considered the mean rating per book to be a more or less meaningless measure.

message 24: by Karl (new)

Karl Canavan wrote: "Justin said (in part):

I mentioned a few of his works and analyzed them to see how they fair here on Goodreads.

Which perhaps raises the question — does anyone really take the Goodreads ratin..."

Aren't the ratings on Goodreads just personal opinions, or guide lines for choice ? If you generally like a reviewers opinions regarding certain types of books, or are drawn to awareness of certain authors or books due to this opinion then you have additional tools in your buying arsenal. All reviews are just opinions be they in Publishers Weekly or any other platform.

message 25: by Canavan (new)

Canavan | 0 comments Karl noted:

Aren't the ratings on Goodreads just personal opinions, or guide lines for choice ? If you generally like a reviewers opinions regarding certain types of books, or are drawn to awareness of certain authors or books due to this opinion then you have additional tools in your buying arsenal. All reviews are just opinions be they in Publishers Weekly or any other platform

I’m not disagreeing with you, Karl, but the point I was trying to make was little different. In selecting new authors/books to sample I tend to rely on individual ratings and/or reviews; sometimes these ratings/reviews are generated by professionals, but more often they are simply the product of nonprofessionals whose opinions I happen to respect.

What I’m skeptical of are statements that tout the relative worth of a book (or author) based on mean ratings. Specifically, books that generate a sufficient number of ratings (say, over 1,000) tend to have means in a very narrow range, regardless of actual merit. To illustrate, here are the current averages for six books, three considered classics and three kinda trashy.

Great Expectations 3.72
Ulysses 3.73
The Great Gatsby 3.86
The Da Vinci Code 3.75
Fifty Shades of Grey 3.69
Twilight 3.56

What may be even worse, books which have relatively few ratings are prone to various sorts of chicanery and manipulation. Whenever I get some message exhorting me to buy some new book that has over 20 5-star reviews my eyes start to glaze over.

message 26: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 72 comments I'm not sure if people genuinely take strong consideration of Goodreads ratings I just know that I wanted to take a census and estimate of how some of his works faired. I feel since I do it on Goodreads that it's only reasonable that I draw my conclusions from numbers on here.

Yes, ratings and reviews are peoples personal opinions. As I stated I just wanted to get an idea overall of what people think of the authors work as a whole on here so it gives me something to work with.

message 27: by Karl (new)

Karl Thank You Justin and Canavan for clarifying. I think I understand your point now. It's so dependent on personal taste, sadly there is always a in the ointment to obfuscate things. The numbers applied to a couple of the books above kind of amaze me. Astoundingly there appears to be no accounting for taste.

message 28: by Caleb.Lives (new)

Caleb.Lives | 45 comments https://williamhopehodgson.wordpress....
I don't like del Toro, at all, but this will certainly give more mainstream visibility to Hodgson.