What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Watermelon (Walsh Family, #1)
This topic is about Watermelon
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > Series featuring alternating quirky sisters as MC, light romantic comedy [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Aug 29, 2013 05:53PM) (new)

David Walker | 3 comments I have read three books in this series. Each one features one of the sisters as the main character with other sisters playing secondary roles. Each sister is highly individualistic and quirky in her own way. At the time i read these books - 8-10 years ago - the youngest sister had not appeared in her own book. I assume she has by now. One sister lives in NYC and one in San Francisco if I'm not mistaken. Contemporary settings and circumstances. Light romantic comedy.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Do you remember anything specific that happened in any of the books? There are probably a thousand series that fit the bare bones you have sketched here, so if you can remember anything else. . .

Anything about covers? Is there a PN element? Are they a close family? Where are the parents? What do the men in their lives do? What do THEY do?

Brigid Howe | 6 comments Marian Keyes? Most of them are set in Dublin but there are a couple in New York.

message 4: by David (new)

David Walker | 3 comments Thank you. I don't remember anything specific - "boy meets girl" stuff mostly. Four sisters. The one who lives in NYC is CEO or at least an executive in a lingerie company. One daughter is married with children in a fairly traditional marriage. She lives in England as does the youngest sister who is 16ish, somewhat "wild" and lives with her parents. The father is a "character," in the way Brit fathers can be - a bit eccentric - while the mother is the sensible one. Close family. No PN elements unless "PN" does not mean "paranormal." The men in these women's lives are not especially memorable but then not much else seems so either... Sorry.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) It definitely sounds like The Walsh Family series by Marian Keyes. The first book is Watermelon and the second is Rachel's Holiday. When I originally read the series several years ago there were only 4 but I think there are more now.

message 6: by David (new)

David Walker | 3 comments Thank you, Cindy - you're right on the money. I wouldn't have found this out on my own in a million years because, after all, humans rarely live that long. I have some catching up to do re the Walsh sisters. Please don't tell my friends I'm a fan of "chick-lit." I'm embarrassed to have been able to give so few clues and to be wrong about the ones I provided. Such limitations don't stop true detectives. Thanks again. D

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
David wrote: "Please don't tell my friends I'm a fan of "chick-lit.""

Flaunt it, David. Personally I am not a chick-lit reader, but I read many women writers, and when I come across male readers who don't, honestly I think less of them.

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) It just hit me that those might be what you were talking about because I picked up Watermelon on a whim one day at the bookstore and fell in love with Marian Keyes writing. I proceeded to read everything by her I could get my hands on for the next couple of months and then, once I had read everything she had published, I moved on. Seeing now that she has extended the Walsh series, I think I'm going to have to revisit them as well.

And don't be embarassed about the chick-lit; I used to hide it from my friends as well (they all used to read classics and such and I love a good trashy paperback!) but life's too short for that nonsense!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Watermelon (other topics)
Rachel's Holiday (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marian Keyes (other topics)