Japanophiles! discussion

Haruki Murakami
This topic is about Haruki Murakami
Books - Fiction > Which Haruki Murakami Novel Do You Recommend?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) I've just started reading Murakami's novels and was wondering which ones would you recommend? Looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy | 25 comments 1Q84 was terrific. It's the only one of his books that I've read, but it was excellent.

message 3: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) Ho,ho....yes! I just finished 1Q84, Andy. Still digesting all the implications with the little people but loved the story all the same! Thanks.

message 4: by Athina (new)

Athina | 6 comments It's hard to single one out... 1Q84 was great, although I have to say a little repetitive sometimes. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is one of my favorites, with some interesting bits of Japanese history. Then if you want a break from surrealism, there's always the Norwegian Wood, very sweet and touching.
Which one is your favorite so far?

message 5: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) I'm on the library queue for Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I'm number 2 now...yea! Can't wait for my turn. It has been recommended by so many people.

It's really hard to pick one to be my favorite. I guess if I really had to pick one, it would be 1Q84 though I also liked South of the Border, West of the Sun (for the flawed character and realistic uncertain ending that had hope) as well as Norwegian Wood.

And I have to say that Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is growing on me as well.

As for his non-fiction, I really liked his memoir, What I talk about when I talk about running. It resonated with me on a personal level even though I don't run (or exercise).

I plan on reading After Dark, The Elephant Vanishes soon too.