What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > looking for G-Rated romance

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ls (new)

Ls | 11 comments I like romance novels but I don't want to read anything racy. I prefer books that have absolutely no mention of sex at all. One author who fits this criteria is Georgette Heyer.
If anyone knows of another "safe" author I would appreciate the recommendation.

Thanks

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 609 comments you could go like Debbie macomber - most of hers are closed door

or there is the option of religious type romances - they are normally fairly safe

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Grace Livingston Hill is another "safe" writer. She writes Christian faith type romances, most set in the 1910's to 1930/40-ish.

message 5: by Roni (new)

Roni | 33 comments One that I read (that didn't get explicit, but was mentioned)that I really liked was The Raging Quiet.
I really liked that one.
Also if you're into Christian writers, one that I enjoy is Francine Rivers.
I've read 5 of her novels and really liked them...
Mark of the Lion Trilogy
Redeeming Love
The Atonement Child

Just my two cents...
=)

message 6: by Ls (new)

Ls | 11 comments Thanks for the suggestions! 8 )

message 7: by Yue (new)

Yue | 136 comments Victoria Holt: My favorites are The Pride of the Peacock, The India Fan, The Shivering Sands, The King of the Castle.. but they are all good.

A bit similar to GH: Lord Sayer's Ghost, Reforming Lord Ragsdale, BRIGHTON ROAD

And a absolute favorite: Anne of Green Gables saga, or any of book by L.M. Montgomery.

message 8: by Roni (new)

Roni | 33 comments Aha!
Thought of another one I had read, that I'm pretty sure was G-Rated Handyman.
Very cute story and a pretty quick read.
=)

message 9: by Ls (new)

Ls | 11 comments Thanks!

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna | 4 comments I know a book that is 4 stories in one, I love it when I want a good non sex romance. I did get it from a christian friend so it does mention god, and prayer a bit, but if thats ok with youHeirloom Brides: Four Romantic Novellas Linked by Family and Love

message 11: by Melanie (last edited Sep 25, 2013 08:56PM) (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 35 comments I've heard Janette Oke's Love Comes Slowly series are clean/Christian romances - about settlers moving out West and building their lives/families amongst the hardships of the time:
Love Comes Softly, Love's Enduring Promise, Love's Long Journey

message 12: by Fayley (new)

Fayley | 68 comments Danae De La Fole (regency romance) and Crown Duel (YA fantasy with romantic storyline) by Sherwood Smith are both really good.

message 13: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments Pride and Prejudice. Oldie but a goodie if you don't mind the older style of writing.

message 14: by Lydia (new)

Lydia I second the L.M. Montgomery recommendation, and would follow that up with I Capture the Castleby Dodie Smith. You could also try Moonraker's Bride and Stranger at Wildings by Madeleine Brent.

If you're okay with trying YA . . . Mara, Daughter of the Nile and The Sherwood Ring are both fantastic. I read them as a kid, but I'm in college now and still love both of them.

Happy reading!

message 15: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (herpilgrimsoul) | 4 comments Anne of Green Gables (series) by L.M. Montgomery.
It's a children's book but a classic and so sweet.

message 16: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
The Forgotten Daughter is another historical YA. The romance is very g-rated.

message 17: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (redriveryuri) | 5 comments Jane Austin novels

message 18: by Wren (new)

Wren  (wrenreaders) | 143 comments Divine Deception (Love Notes, #7) by Marcia Lynn McClure i really liked this one

message 19: by J. (new)

J. (mamalaoshi) | 56 comments (Looking at my list, I don't know if these qualify as "romances" but they are all clean love stories.)

Margaret Widdemer Margaret Widdemer is an author from the early part of the 20th century. A lot of her early books are domain free so you can download them for free from sites like gutenburgproject (gutenburg.org). They remind me a lot like L. M. Montgomery.

I've Married Marjorie
The Wishing Ring Man
The Rose-Garden Husband
Most of these books are actually romances about newly married couples who learn to love each other after the wedding.

My favorite L. M. Montgomery romance is The Blue Castle The Blue Castle It's my favorite fluffy romance to read when I don't want to think, just feel good.

A Girl of the Limberlost
Freckles
Gene Stratton Porter has some sweet romances- A Girl of the Limberlost is another favorite, though the romance doesn't start until the last half of the book.

Jane Eyre Jane Eyre is a classic- I love how she

A Town Like Alice A Town Like Alice (probably the raciest in my list, has a scene where they start kissing and she stops him because she wants to wait)

Homeless Bird Homeless Bird

Mrs. Mike Mrs. Mike

The Princess Bride The Princess Bride

The Sweetest Spell The Sweetest Spell, a YA fantasy

Susan (the other Susan) (theothersusan) | 61 comments Mary Stewart wrote wonderful romantic suspense novels back in the day, and influenced later generations of romance novelists. I devoured her books until she eventually switched to fantasy with her "Crystal Cave" series. She wrote a dozen or so beautifully atmospheric Gothic novels with brooding heroes, a touch of mystery, and plenty of romantic tension without anything explicit; you always knew that Mary Stewart's heroines, like modern Jane Eyres, were going to have a a wedding ring and live happily ever after, but they were going to face some danger along the way. Some of her books:

Nine Coaches Waiting
The Moon Spinners (was the basis for a movie in the sixties)
Airs Above the Ground (also made into a movie called The White Stallion)
This Rough Magic
Thunder On The Right

Another author of just-kissing romances was Phyllis A Whitney, who wrote until she was in her nineties.

message 21: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer - The audiobook is good at conveying the different characters with British accents...and the hero sounds a bit like Sean Connery. :)