What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Childrens(?) Fiction novel about an old man teaching a young girl to harness her magical powers

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yasmine (new)

Yasmine (lolaliop) I borrowed this book from my local library around 10 years ago, perhaps a few years less. (Most definitely before 2007)My memory is vague, but I remember the version I read was a hardback had a blue cover and I think limited artwork. I think the cover work was blue stripes with a porthole, with a face looking from it? I may be wrong.

As far as I remember there was a young boy and girl who may have been siblings. I think there was an absence of parents, but I do remember an older man looked after them. He may have lived in a lighthouse and may have been a sailor although I cannot be sure. I believe the girl witnessed a magic act by the older man and he eventually informs the girl and the boy of a magical world. I think he begins to teach the girl magic and she struggles and finds out that magic is a hard skill to master. I think the old man comes into danger and the girl uses her struggling skills to save him. It's a rather thick book as I remember, an I cannot remember the boys part but seem to remember his presence.
I believe the children and man are on a journey, and I seem to recall that the girl already had magical powers and the old man simply teaches her to harness them which she finds difficult. I don't think the boy had magical powers, but I'm pretty sure he had something else that was unique.

I'm pretty adamant about the presence of a lighthouse, and possibly a submarine?

If anybody is able to help I would be eternally grateful, I loved this book as a child and would love to reread it. I apologise for my vagueness!

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4888 comments Yasmine, do you remember if the book was set in a parallel, fantasy, or realistic world?

You mentioned a magical world...do the children and man live in the magical world or do they teleport to the world?

Do you remember anything about the villains?

message 3: by Yasmine (new)

Yasmine (lolaliop) Hi,

Sadly I was around 7 or 8 when I read the book so I don't have a memory of the villains.
I believe the magical world either ran parallel to their world, hiding and covering itself up, but it's possible that the magical world inhabited areas of the world we don't inhabit, such as small islands.
After some thought I think the boy could mentally communicate with the girl or animals. I think the girl had telekinesis. I'm almost sure she did but it may not have been the only ability she had.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37833 comments Mod
Yasmine has left the group so moving this to Abandoned.