Friends in Fiction discussion

general > Three Chicks

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Deluca (darlenedeluca) | 131 comments Mod
I had lunch with a friend the other day whose youngest child is about to turn 21. The kid doesn't live at home, so my friend's nest is empty.
A few months ago, she brought home three chickens. As pets. One for each of her chicks who've flown the coop? Not sure, but she feeds them and plays with them. Talks to them.
As she was updating me on the chicks, and their personalities and antics, I began to wonder . . . do women have an innate need to nurture? Do we need to take care of someone or something? What do you think?

message 2: by Teen (new)

Teen | 18 comments This is an old post but I'm responding anyway because it's thought provoking..

I'm not sure if the innate aspect of women is to nurture but, instead, maybe to bond. The concept that women are more "emotional" then men is not my point, rather that women may tend to seek deeper relationships and are more fulfilled when the emotions of bonds are reciprocated. Does that make sense? For example...the chickens, obviously, give something back to her in their response to her nurturing... Maybe they greet her in exuberance, or signal to her in some way that she is important to them. The bond created between your friend and her chickens is strong....strong enough that they have expressed their individualism enough that she can now see specific characteristics to differentiate between them. It's really sweet but, in all honesty, chickens? To each her own...LOL!

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) This reminds me of my mother ... who has "a thing" about birds, and especially chickens.

Many years ago she let it be known that she really wanted one of those chicken soup tureens (this was probably in the mid- to late-1970s). My two brothers and I pooled our resources and bought her one for Christmas.

Fast forward a decade or more ... and I'm visiting my mother in her home. I notice that she has THREE chicken soup tureens on display in her open shelves. To my knowledge she never used one - EVER. I asked why she had three.

Mom:"When I die, I don't want you children fighting over who gets the chicken soup tureen."

Me (silently thinking to myself) - "NONE of us wants that stupid chicken soup tureen."

So, when we cleaned out our parents's home after they moved to assisted living, my youngest brother decided to keep one, and the other two went to the rummage sale. (I asked bro if he didn't want all three so HIS three kids wouldn't fight over them when he dies ...)