Get Your Shorts in a Bunch discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads > October 2013 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan (theancientreader) Submit your nominations for our October 2013 read here. Please include enough info about the book you're nominating to insure we get the correct book in the poll. Since I got such a late start on these, we'll keep the nominations open through September 11th.

message 2: by Felina (new)

Felina I would like to nominate Halloween edited by Paula Guran. It seems to fit the bill for October pretty well. :)

It has some short stories from some very popular horror authors including Ray Bradbury, H.P. Lovecraft and Peter Straub.

message 3: by Becky (last edited Aug 31, 2013 10:53AM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I was trying to think of a good Halloween story collection too... But I think Felina nailed it. So for my nom how about Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King.
It's a collection of 4 novellas (5 if you get the updated edition) and they are all dark and creepy in different ways.

Edited to include the link, since it's a pain to do on my phone.

message 4: by Felina (new)

Felina Oh, it has been too long since I've read a King.

message 5: by Kate (last edited Sep 04, 2013 01:42PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Keeping with the Halloween theme, how about Night Shift by Stephen King

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim Nomination: The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami

message 10: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Richards (marciaarichards) Sorry, I won't be submitting a nomination. I don't read horror or paranormal stories and that seems to be the theme for October.

message 11: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (trinityroberts) | 5 comments 11/22/63 by Stephen King

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 12 comments I thought that was a novel?

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) It is.

message 14: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (trinityroberts) | 5 comments Sorry im new here. Is that not okay?

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 12 comments oh! welcome. :-) it's a short story book club, so all the books are short fiction anthologies/collections (unless I am unaware of an exclusion to this!).

message 16: by Crystal (last edited Sep 07, 2013 11:35PM) (new)

Crystal (trinityroberts) | 5 comments oh ok. thanks :) I guess the name makes more sense now. lmao. I guess rearing the group description would've been good lol

message 17: by Crystal (last edited Sep 07, 2013 11:37PM) (new)

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim Crystal wrote: "How about The Haunting of Hill House By Shirley Jackson?"

I suspect you're not completely familiar with short story collections. While it's true the Shirley Jackson book is under 200 pages, it's still a novel.

Short story collections are normally by a single author, or by multiple authors writing on a common theme or genre. Most of the stories are under 40 pages long and some can be as short as 2 or 3 pages.

Take a look at the three books being read for September and you'll see what I mean.

Also, welcome to the group!

message 19: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (trinityroberts) | 5 comments ya I'm not familiar with it :/ ok will look through the other books. no more nominations from me. I'll just vote :)

message 20: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 32 comments Crystal wrote: "How about The Haunting of Hill House By Shirley Jackson?"
Also a novel.

message 21: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 32 comments Crystal wrote: "ya I'm not familiar with it :/ ok will look through the other books. no more nominations from me. I'll just vote :)"

Bobby wrote: "Crystal wrote: "How about The Haunting of Hill House By Shirley Jackson?"
Also a novel."

Both Shirley Jackson and Stephen King are good choices though!

message 22: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 32 comments Felina wrote: "I would like to nominate Halloween edited by Paula Guran. It seems to fit the bill for October pretty well. :)

It has some short stories from some very popular horror authors including Ray Bradbur..."

I vote for this one.

message 23: by Dan (new)

Dan (theancientreader) Crystal wrote: "ya I'm not familiar with it :/ ok will look through the other books. no more nominations from me. I'll just vote :)"

Thanks for being involved with the group Crystal. I'll add The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson as your nomination.

message 24: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 32 comments Anasylvia wrote: "I'm new here, so I'm not sure if The Best Short Stories by Edgar Allen Poe has been read before, but I think that in keeping with the month of October theme, that would be an a great read."

Ooooo...it's so obvious, you almost wouldn't think of it! I'd be into it!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.