Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Book Reviews & Quotes > Here is your chance to debut a quote

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2814 comments Mod
Are you a first time quote leaver? Debut a quote from your debut novel. Any quote that you feel represents the book you are reading,. Or if you are stuck, page 46 always works!

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3441 comments Mod
From Shatter Me, p. 46

They're going to kill me.
I always wondered how it would happen. I wonder if this will make my parents happy.
Someone is laughing. "Well aren't you a little shit?"
I don't even know if they're talking to me. I can hardly focus on keeping my arms upright.
"She's not even crying," someone adds. "The girls are usually begging for mercy by now."
The walls are beginning to bleed into the ceiling. I wonder how long I can hold my breath. I can't distinguish words I can't understand the sounds I'm hearing the blood is rushing through my head and my lips are 2 blocks of concrete I can't crack open. There's a gun in my back and I'm tripping forward. The floors are falling up. My feet are dragging in a diretion I can't decipher.

I hope they kill me soon.

Wow, Susan. That is a an eye opening quote. It certainly paints quite a picture.

message 4: by Tara (last edited Sep 08, 2013 06:20PM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments Since Susan and I read the same book I will share some of my favorite quotes from Shatter Me although one may be considered a spoiler so I hid it.

“I tried so hard to fix what I'd ruined. I tried every single day to be what they wanted. I tried all the time to be better but I never really knew how.
I only know now that the scientists are wrong.
The world is flat.
I know because I was tossed right off the edge and Ive been trying to hold on for 17 years. Ive been trying to climb back up for 17 years but its nearly impossible to beat gravity when no one is willing to give you a hand.
When no one wants to risk touching you.”
and
(view spoiler)

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments From page 46 of Throne of Glass

"Are you mad? I'm an assassin- not some court idiot!"
Phillippa clucked. "You're still a woman, and so long as you're under my charge, you'll act like one, or Wyrd help me!"

message 6: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments From p.179 of Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. "If only someone had told me about the confidence-boosting nature of guns, I'd have been shooting them all my life."

message 7: by Susan (new)

from Cinder, p. 25:

Cinder tucked her hands into her back pockets. "Are you saying that if I fix the hover and get a dress, I can really go this year?"

Adri's lips puckered slightly at the corners. "It will be a miracle if you can find something suitable to wear that will hid your " -- her gaze dropped to Cinder's boots -- "eccentricities. But yes, if you fix the hover, I suppose you can go to the ball."

Peony flashed Cinder a stunned half smile, while her older sister spun on their mother. "You can't be serious! Her? Go with us?"

Cinder pressed her shoulder into the door frame, trying to hide her disappointment from Peony. Pearl's outrage was unnecessary. A little orange light had flicked in the corner of Cinder's vision -- Adri had not meant her promise.

message 8: by Susan (new)

from The Compound, p. 46:

Every room in the Compound also held a defribillator. It didn't make much sense to me. If one of us was going to check out, why not let us go? If we truly had a heart problem, there was no one to do surgery on us. What could a defibrillator buy us? A few minutes?

I looked over the medicine cabinet. It wasn't locked, despite having a lot of controlled substances inside. I don't know who, if anyone, ever took them. Dad told us never to touch any of them. That was all he had to do. The one quality the Yanakakis kids did have in common was obedience. I switched off the lights before I left.

message 9: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments From Born at Midnight pg.48

Kylie stared at Perry even when everything inside her said not to. Right then her curiosity, her need to know evaporated into not-so-breathable air. She'd never understood that saying, "ignorance is bliss", until this moment. She didn't want to see, didn't want to believe.
But she did see.

message 10: by Tara (last edited Sep 26, 2013 08:58AM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments I already posted a quote, but I thought I shared another one that I particularly liked.

From Born at Midnight

"That’s the tricky thing about love. It walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and smells like a duck. But after you sleep with it a month or so, or get dumped at the altar by it, it starts smelling more like a skunk.”

message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments From The Nightmare Affair

“I didn't want to be a part of anything special. Bad things happened to special people. Usually failure followed by an early death”

message 12: by Susan (new)

from Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, p. 46

"Ah, but it must go into the logbook, my boy. Here, write it as you tell it. Tell me."

I tell him, and I write it down as I go. It makes me feel better, as if the weirdness is flowing out of my blood and onto the page, through the dark point of the pen:

"The store was visited by a presumptuous jackass--"

"Er -- perhaps it would be wisest not to write that," Penumbra says lightly. "Say perhaps that he had the aspect of ... an urgent courier."

Okay, then""The store was visited by an urgent courier named Corvina, who --"

"No, no," Penumbra interrupts. He closes his eyes and pinches the bridge of his nose. "Stop. Before you write, I will explain. He was extremely pale, weasel-eyed, forty-one years old, with a thick build and an ill-advised beard, wearing a suit of smooth wool, single-breasted, with functioning buttons at the cuffs, and black leather shoes that came to sharp points -- correct?"

Exactly. I didn't catch the shoes, but Penumbra has got this one nailed.

Susan wrote: "from Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, p. 46

"Ah, but it must go into the logbook, my boy. Here, write it as you tell it. Tell me."

I tell him, and I write it down as I go. It makes me feel bette..."

I have heard good things about this book, Susan. Thanks for including a quote. I am hoping to get to read it before too long.