WNY AmeriCorps VISTA Book Club discussion

House Keeping > First Meeting

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexander (new)

Alexander | 5 comments Mod
Hi everyone! I'd like to get a consensus on where and when we'd like to hold the first meeting.

I was thinking we could have either a Saturday or Sunday brunch during the last weekend of September. This should give us all a chance to buy or borrow the book and have it read in time. Merge has an awesome brunch on Saturday (with bottomless mimosas) and there are a number of great spots with the same type of deal on Sundays.

Also! Please don't forget to vote for a book! Just click on the link labeled 'Poll' in the top right section and that'll lead you to this month's options.

Thanks,

Alex

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Aug 30, 2013 08:16AM) (new)

Rachel Todd | 2 comments Merge's brunch menu sounds YUMMY! But their bottomless mimosas are $10, which is a lot. I hear Empire Grill on Hertel does a great brunch buffet on Sunday that includes bottomless mimosas for $20 - which is about what we would spend at Merge. Just a suggestion! :)

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarashenanigans) | 1 comments Reservations are required for Empire's brunch.

message 4: by Alexander (new)

Well it really depends on the day we decide to meet. Sunday provides way more options, but I don't know if that'll work for everyone (Saturdays are going to be better for me and my school schedule, but I can be flexible). And I mean.. $10 isn't really a ton when you consider that you could foreseeably spend that much for two drinks on a regular night out anyway.

I'm going to close the poll at the end of the day tomorrow. So far we've got a tie between The Crying of Lot 49, Lolita, and Geek Love-each with 2 votes- Blood Meridian trails with 1 vote and The Hobbit (thankfully) with 0. I have no idea what we'll do if there's a tie yet..haha

message 5: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Macvittie | 2 comments Have we decided on a book yet?

message 6: by Alexander (new)

The book selected for September is Geek Love. There should have been a notification that went out a few days ago when I made the event for the meeting. Did that not get sent?

message 7: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Macvittie | 2 comments I didn't get anything about it, but it may just be because I'm using the app.

message 8: by Alexander (new)

Looks like other people saw it. Try logging into the site on your computer. There should also be something about the meeting in September's social calendar, but the majority of the information will be on Goodreads until we can all meet face-to-face.

The book is a bit long so if you don't have a ton of free time to read I'd try to get it soon. I know that the library has a few copies and I've seen it around at local bookstores when I've done some general browsing.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Todd | 2 comments Sara wrote: "Reservations are required for Empire's brunch."

I think as adults we can manage to make a reservation for brunch lol. They're not required just...strongly suggested. I'm just saying for $20 we can get a buffet as well, and it's close to where a lot of us live (me, Sara, Alex, Lauren, and closer to Canisius where a lot of the new VISTAs live than Merge [I think]).

I didn't get the event! Rawwwrrr.

message 10: by Alexander (new)

I thought Merge would be a good option for the VISTAs with food intolerances since the place goes out of its way to offer vegan and vegetarian options as well a number of gluten-free dishes. And since only one person framed a concern I went ahead and chose that place. However, if there's an overwhelming hatred of Merge then..we can go somewhere else.

This process will be much easier once we can actually talk in real-time...