Jack Reacher Series discussion

current novel > Thoughts on 'Never go Back' (no spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gordon (new)

Gordon  (gmonie) I've felt that the last book 'A Wanted Man' was not one of Child's better books about Jack Reacher, I'd love some feedback on this book. I pre-ordered the audiobook because its easier due to my commute to 'read' that book but it doesn't come out until Sept. 3rd... Opinions as people finish 'Never go Back'?

message 2: by Omri (new)

Omri Levin | 1 comments Agree with,last couple of books have been "flat" but " Never go Back" is outstanding!

message 3: by Shayne (new)

Shayne | 8 comments I started reading it but not enough to formulate an opinion. So far so good.

message 4: by Shayne (new)

Shayne | 8 comments I believe its worth it. Finished it and I think it is not 'Flat' like last couple of books.

message 5: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Mac | 6 comments Gordon wrote: "I've felt that the last book 'A Wanted Man' was not one of Child's better books about Jack Reacher, I'd love some feedback on this book. I pre-ordered the audiobook because its easier due to my co..."

message 6: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Mac | 6 comments I liked 'A Wanted Man' but I wasn't in love with it. Can't wait to read the new one.

message 7: by Gordon (new)

Gordon  (gmonie) I finished the book the next day after 9/3, I spent my whole labor day with it plus a bit of the next day, u can check out the review if ur interested...

message 8: by Mira (new)

Mira (mirarad) I liked this one a lot better than the last few. Took me two days to finish it because I kept getting interrupted!!! Much better than 'A Wanted Man'.

message 9: by Amal (new)

Amal Dave | 4 comments Read half of it till now, I think this is one of the best book of Lee Chid. Jack Reacher back in army, who had expected this? His daughter,shocking! Fighting men with hands at his back, amazing!! And this is just the half of it. Can't put it down now

message 10: by Gordon (new)

Gordon  (gmonie) I'd FINISH reading the book before claiming it to be the BEST?? How can u possibly say any book is the best of anything if u haven't finished it?!?

Lee Child has written many books out of the 18 that are better than any of the last 3 books, I could name 5 off top of my head that blow any of his recent books away...

If AFTER u finish it & still claim it to be the best, then ill ask if u have read all 18, if u say Yes to that we can agree to disagree where 'Never go Back' falls in the spectrum of all Reacher's books

message 11: by Amal (new)

Amal Dave | 4 comments Chill Gordan. I said one of the best. I finished reading just now and yes I have read all the books. And the best books for me are 61 hours, Die trying, Gone tomorrow, The enemy, Killing floor... infact every book is best in itself but this one, I never expected. And every1 has different opinion. And the fact that Lee Child had been setting the stage for this book since last 4 books makes it more worth while, though not the best. Frankly speaking, I don't have any favourites because all the books are just great.

message 12: by Gordon (new)

Gordon  (gmonie) I'm glad u find every book great that u read, ur enthusiasm is obv. shown in ur language cuz u said this was the best Lee Child, which I found confusing.

But I was interested in why u wrote what u did, u answered & I'm glad u find all the books great, IMO all Childs books are not great, there are at least a couple horrid ones. If u finished the book then u obv. know u jumped to conclusions (view spoiler)

That's why I emphasized finishing the book cuz suffice it to say, all is not what it seems, as with every book Child has written.

None of the last 4 books nearly as good as a few of the ones u mentioned, plus 'Bad Luck & Trouble', 'Without fail', etc... all his older books. Although 'Never go Back' was a good book, his older books set a high standard for even him to best.

message 13: by Amal (new)

Amal Dave | 4 comments Yes I agree to that, it's impossible to determine his best book. And many of his books are not so great if compared to his other books, and yet all his books are way better then books by other authors in the genre. They are addicting!!!

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim (papastu) I thought this was a great book. More like some of the earlier books. I know will be back to finish my last book of the Fire and Ice series.

message 15: by Bru (new)

Bru (brucoder) | 107 comments Mod
I thought it was a good book too. Just a little bummed by the lack of emotional bonding with any characters. ...without giving anything away. lol.

Time for Jack to see a shrink. Lee always said he was going to kill him off. Maybe this is the prelude. Let us down nice and easy by bringing out all his flaws.

message 16: by Gordon (new)

Gordon  (gmonie) IMO Jim & Bru hit it well, unless Lee writes an amazing next book Reacher might have peaked awhile ago... I personally love the back & forth dialogue he had between officer & non-com SF character 'Springfield' plus the premise of old allies becoming new enemies, & the few books where he had his friends from the unit like Nagley or revolving around the peeps left in his unit. I guess u can only take a wandering protagonist walking (pun intended) into so many conspiracies & not start rolling ur eye's

message 17: by Mimelo (new)

Mimelo | 11 comments Hate to say it, but I'm a bit disappointed in this one. Thought there were a bunch of good scenes, but not as strong an overall connecting plot. I actually put this just above Persuader as my least favorite, but that's personal preference. My top choices are still Bad Luck and trouble, Worth Dying For, The Enemy, 61 Hours and Killing Floor.

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 5 comments Never Go Back was flat for me as well. I agree the plot seemed lacking. IMO there was too much baseless dialog. Other characters, aside from Reacher, "said nothing"...which is a Reacherism for me that shouldn't be a quality in others! Also, the action scenes actually dragged on and on, minimizing Reacher's expertise in that area. Overall, the book lacked the depth for me.

message 19: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Mac | 6 comments Amal wrote: "Yes I agree to that, it's impossible to determine his best book. And many of his books are not so great if compared to his other books, and yet all his books are way better then books by other auth..."

message 20: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Mac | 6 comments I have to agree that while some Reacher adventures are better than others - they are all a cut above many other authors. I'd hate to see an end to Jack.

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris Juricich | 5 comments Amal wrote: "Read half of it till now, I think this is one of the best book of Lee Chid. Jack Reacher back in army, who had expected this? His daughter,shocking! Fighting men with hands at his back, amazing!! A..."

Daughter? Not surprised by this, but you should post a spoiler alert in your post next time before potentially ruining plot surprises for neophyte readers.

message 22: by Judy (new)

Judy | 17 comments Nook sale today on "Never Go Back" for $1.99
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/never...

At Amazon, it's $6.99

message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris Juricich | 5 comments I haven't read Reacher books electronically yet, oddly. When I first got the iPad, I was all about ebooks...and yeah, I still read them electronically, but if I can get a book at a used bookstore for less than the ebook price...well, I will.

message 24: by Ty (new)

Ty Patterson | 9 comments I was disappointed with Never go Back. As flat as Barbara found it. Btw I don't think the series is ending any time soon. I believe he has contracted with Random House for three more books.

message 25: by Sean (new)

Sean Peters | 16 comments I agree they are 4-5 of his books that stand out above the others, but as mentioned his weaker books are still 4 stars, the better one are 5 stars.

The Hard Way, 61 Hours, One Shot, are all stronger than his last two books.

message 26: by Mimelo (new)

Mimelo | 11 comments It's been a while, but I wanted to ask: Does anyone even remember what the bad guys' plot/ conspiracy was even FOR in "Never Go Back"?

That was the main reason for my disappointment. All the build-up and we STILL don't get a clear idea of what exactly the bad guys were up to...