Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive - POTS > POTS Cycle #4 Sign Ups

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2827 comments Mod
Sign ups for POTS Cycle #4 will be open until September 7. I am setting them up early due to the holiday weekend here in The States. Please sign up below.

when signing up, please remember to list the shelf you want picked from and the number of books you want to read during the cycle

Thanks

message 2: by Fairlee (new)

Fairlee Corkran | 66 comments Fairlee-picked-4 books

message 3: by Candiss (last edited Sep 08, 2013 09:43AM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) I have been so scarce and non-participatory lately, so I think I'd like to try this. This will be my first time trying POTS.

I'll go for 2 books. Please use my pick-a-book shelf.

Do we know the theme for this cycle yet? I'm using a smallish shelf, and I want to make sure I at least include a few books that fit the theme so people have choices for fulfilling the themed recommendation requirement.

Candiss wrote: "I have been so scarce and non-participatory lately, so I think I'd like to try this. This will be my first time trying POTS.

I'll go for 2 books. Please use my pick-a-book shelf.

Do we know the..."

Thanks for trying this, Candiss, it is really fun. I will be picking the person who determines the theme today. I wanted to give everyone time to post what they had finished. The book picking does not start until Sept. 7, so there is plenty of time to include books on the shelf between the first and the 7th. I will let you know as soon as the decision is made.

message 5: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) Lyn M (readinghearts) wrote: "Candiss wrote: "I have been so scarce and non-participatory lately, so I think I'd like to try this. This will be my first time trying POTS.

I'll go for 2 books. Please use my pick-a-book shelf...."

Great! Thanks, Lyn.

message 6: by Karen (last edited Aug 31, 2013 06:59AM) (new)

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1092 comments 2 books please from my To-Read shelf.

message 8: by Vi (new)

Vi | 123 comments Three books please. My To-Read shelf.

message 9: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4659 comments Mod
Three books please. My POTS shelf.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3451 comments Mod
Four books, please. Please use my POTS choices shelf.

message 11: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8678 comments Mod
I've been totally useless this month so I'm hoping things will settle this coming month so I can catch up on my reading!

Joining Susan for 4 books, please, from my own to read shelf. I can't seem to keep numbers down, no matter what! I'd read 1 and add 2, ha ha ha...

Hubby moved half the number of my boxed books and complained that they weighed “more than all the wildebeest in all the plains of Africa” – Exaggerate much?!

message 12: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Sep 01, 2013 04:28PM) (new)

Tien wrote: "I've been totally useless this month so I'm hoping things will settle this coming month so I can catch up on my reading!

Joining Susan for 4 books, please, from my own to read shelf. I can't seem..."

LOL, Tien - more than all the wildebeest in all the plains of Africa?!?! That is funny. Does he even know how much all the wildebeest in all the plains of Africa weigh?

Congratulations to Lauren! She gets to pick the theme for this cycle of POTS. I will be PMing her to let her know.

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2144 comments I'll go for 4 books too. Please use my to-read shelf.

message 15: by Tien (new)

lol, I thought I heard him wrong at first so I made him repeat a few times ha ha ha. he had very funny moments like this!

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1092 comments Thanks Lyn.
I've sent you a PM with my choice of theme. Hope everyone likes it.

message 17: by D.G. (last edited Sep 02, 2013 11:19AM) (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Sign me up for 2 books! Pick up from my to-read shelf, please. No classics or non fiction though!

Lauren's choice of Theme for Cycle #4 is:

Halloween. Pick a book with a monster in it (werewolf, vampire, zombie, ghost, demon, etc.)

message 19: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4659 comments Mod
Lyn M (readinghearts) wrote: "Lauren's choice of Theme for Cycle #4 is:

Halloween. Pick a book with a monster in it (werewolf, vampire, zombie, ghost, demon, etc.)"

Question: Since I do not read this type of book, do I have to go through my shelf to be sure there is one for each of my teammates to pick? How important is it that we have a theme book on our list?

Bea wrote: "Lyn M (readinghearts) wrote: "Lauren's choice of Theme for Cycle #4 is:

Halloween. Pick a book with a monster in it (werewolf, vampire, zombie, ghost, demon, etc.)"

Question: Since I do not rea..."

That is a good question, Bea. The theme is supposed to be something that everyone can easily do, so I would say that just the word in the title would suffice. I looked at your POTS list and the following two books would fit IMO:
Breathless
Ghost Singer

So maybe you would only need one more. I see you have some mysteries. Could any of the bad guys in them be classed as "monsters" or do they have victims that appear as ghosts?

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1092 comments I think serial killers or other villains could be classified as monsters too.

message 22: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4659 comments Mod
Thanks, Lauren and Lyn. I will need to check.

message 23: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) Bea, I don't know if you just added this book, but I see you have Beloved on your POTS shelf. It's no spoiler to say that it's (in part) a ghost story, as it's listed in the Goodreads summary and is stated flat out by characters in the first few pages. (The reader can interpret the story in many ways, but the characters themselves choose to consider it a ghost story.)

message 24: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Would witches/wizards, succubus/incubus count as well?

Candiss wrote: "Bea, I don't know if you just added this book, but I see you have Beloved on your POTS shelf. It's no spoiler to say that it's (in part) a ghost story, as it's listed in the Goodreads summary and ..."

Good catch, Candiss.

D.G. wrote: "Would witches/wizards, succubus/incubus count as well?"

They certainly would!

message 27: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Teams, teams, teams!

message 28: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments No teams yet?

message 29: by Susan (new)

Remember that Tien has no internet, and Lyn has been picking up the slack for her in other areas. Maybe we can help them out by just figuring the teams out for ourselves. This is what I see above:

two books:
Candiss
Lauren
D.G.

three books:
Karen
Vi
Bea

four books:
Fairlee
Susan
Tien
Amy

If anyone is anxious to get started picking, we could just assume those are the teams until Lyn lets us know for sure. And post things on here until the team folders are set up.

message 30: by Tien (new)

Not sure where Lyn is, D.G. and I still haven't got internet connection at home yet. I'm hoping for tomorrow though that might be a bit optimistic :p Hopefully Lyn will check in soon!

message 31: by Susan (last edited Sep 09, 2013 06:56PM) (new)

Fairlee, what shelf should we use to choose books for you?

message 32: by Tien (new)

Oh wow, Susan, thanks!

message 33: by Susan (new)

No problem. Lyn might want to add herself to one of the groups, but other than that, we should be good to go.

message 34: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4659 comments Mod
I say go with these teams. It looks logical to me.

message 35: by D.G. (last edited Sep 10, 2013 04:05AM) (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Thanks, Susan!

Don't mean to rush you guys...I'm just impatient to get started! (Don't know why...if I lose my job this week as I'm expecting to, I'll have lots of time to read in the next couple of months.)

I'll create the thread for the 2 book team, then.

message 36: by Fairlee (new)

Fairlee Corkran | 66 comments please use my pick shelf

Susan wrote: "Remember that Tien has no internet, and Lyn has been picking up the slack for her in other areas. Maybe we can help them out by just figuring the teams out for ourselves. This is what I see above:..."

Thanks so much for taking this on, Susan. I have actually been sick with a systemic infection, and am hoping the new meds finally work. Looks like you got everything organized great!

message 38: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4659 comments Mod
Three book team up and ready to read.

message 39: by Susan (new)

Glad to help out, Lyn. And it looks like someone in each group has started those threads, too. Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks Susan. Glad you guys are up and running!

message 41: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Hope you feel better, Lyn!

message 42: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4659 comments Mod
Lyn, we will pitch in until you and Tien are back in full form.

message 43: by Tien (new)

@Lyn: sorry to hear you've been unwell! Rest lots & get better soon... as you can see, everyone has got things in hand for us ;)

@D.G.: I'm not sure whether you are pleased or not to the possibility of losing your job?

@Susan & Bea & ALL of you: thanks so much for your patience and for taking care of things - you all know how things are mostly run so I'm sure everything will go smoothly with you guys :) Your initiatives & effort in keeping us to read are much appreciated ;)

ps: I posted a quick update on my internet situation in the socializing thread... just fyi

D.G. wrote: "Thanks, Susan!

Don't mean to rush you guys...I'm just impatient to get started! (Don't know why...if I lose my job this week as I'm expecting to, I'll have lots of time to read in the next couple ..."

So sorry to hear that you might lose your job. :(