All About Books discussion

Book Chat > Literary News

Comments Showing 1-50 of 819 (819 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

message 1: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Richard and Judy have announced their Autumn reading choice - which, if any, would you like to read?

http://www.richardandjudy.co.uk/book-...

message 2: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I'd quite to read Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell. I think it's out in paperback now.

message 3: by Abi (new)

Abi (abi_b) Shirley wrote: "Richard and Judy have announced their Autumn reading choice - which, if any, would you like to read?

http://www.richardandjudy.co.uk/book-..."

This looks like a really interesting list - I think that this list always contains some great reads, and I like that they contain a range of styles and authors.

Of this list, I'd already picked out The Shining Girls and Instructions for a Heatwaveas ones to read, and think I may well add The Twins and The Last Runaway to my tbr list. Whether I'll get round to reading any of them anytime soon remains to be seen though...!

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Hm...strangely: nothing.
Who are Richard and Judy? From the look of it they seem to be quite well known in the UK amongst booklovers?

message 5: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Jenny wrote: "Hm...strangely: nothing.
Who are Richard and Judy? From the look of it they seem to be quite well known in the UK amongst booklovers?"

Good question! They are TV presenters who have had various chat shows over the years. I'm not quite sure how they started getting into book reviews, but they regularly select books, some of which are quite readable, and they have proved quite popular in the UK.

message 6: by Abi (new)

Abi (abi_b) Jenny wrote: "Hm...strangely: nothing.
Who are Richard and Judy? From the look of it they seem to be quite well known in the UK amongst booklovers?"

I wouldn't say well known by booklovers especially...!
They're a husband and wife duo who presented a daytime TV show called 'This Morning' together for years and years. They started doing their book club a couple of years ago to tie in to a different chat show they were hosting, the show no longer exists but they seem to be continuing the book club with WH Smith (a high street newsagent chain).

Also, interesting to note that they are both now authors and have recently bought out their first novel each - hers is called Eloise and his is Some Day I'll Find You

message 7: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Abi wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Hm...strangely: nothing.

I wouldn't say well known by booklovers especia..."

Ha ha, we posted at the same time, Abi!
I will also add that there is a certain amount of literary snobbishness about them and their choices, however, rather than throw the baby out with the bath water, I like to check out their books, as they have found some good ones over the last few years...

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Thanks guys! Will keep an eye out when I am over in the UK again.

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I didn't know who richard and judy are either. There was nothing that interested me in their fall book picks.

message 10: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 456 comments I really like the sound of The Shining Girls!

message 11: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11958 comments Mod
They all look quite good, especially The Shining Girls.

message 12: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13415 comments Mod
Shirley wrote: "Richard and Judy have announced their Autumn reading choice - which, if any, would you like to read?

http://www.richardandjudy.co.uk/book-..."

Who are Richard and Judy?!?!

message 13: by LauraT (new)

Oops, I've seen the answer later on!
Nice programme! I din't know any of the books they propose...

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I was woken by hearing the sad news on the radio that poet Seamus Heaney has died.

message 15: by Alannah (last edited Aug 30, 2013 06:01AM) (new)

Leslie wrote: "I was woken by hearing the sad news on the radio that poet Seamus Heaney has died."

It was on the lunchtime news, I can't say that I didn't feel affected upon hearing the news. I loved his poetry.

message 16: by Alannah (new)

'As writers and readers, as sinners and citizens, our realism and our aesthetic sense make us wary of crediting the positive note.' -
Seamus Heaney

message 17: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Leslie wrote: "I was woken by hearing the sad news on the radio that poet Seamus Heaney has died."

Oh, that's really sad, I didn't realise...I loved his poetry too.

message 18: by Alannah (new)

I think in honour of his work and the fact he was also from Northern Ireland. I will make sure that one of his anthologies is on my 2014 personal challenge.

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments It is really sad, a friend of mine just posted this line by him which I think is beautiful: "Walk on air against your better judgement." I might have to write that on my wall in capital letters as a reminder ;)

message 20: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Alannah wrote: "I think in honour of his work and the fact he was also from Northern Ireland. I will make sure that one of his anthologies is on my 2014 personal challenge."

Alannah, I would quite like to join you on this one I think.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

As posted in the poem thread, me too! 2014 is going to be my year of poetry

message 22: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 537 comments I always read a few of the Richard and Judy choices. This time round I quite fancy:
Snow White Must Die by Nele Neuhaus
The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier
Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell
The Husbands Secret

message 23: by LauraT (new)

Leslie wrote: "I was woken by hearing the sad news on the radio that poet Seamus Heaney has died."

It was on the radio this morning and summed with the horrible weather it was not a nice way to start a day!

message 24: by Jenny (last edited Sep 01, 2013 10:59PM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments 31st of August 2013
Alright, so September is almost here, and according to The Millions these are the most anticipated new-releases of the month: (some of these have different release dates in the UK, but most of them are similar)

MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood
Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King (which seems to be a sequel of The Shining which I believe some of us will read together
The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri
Someone: A Novel by Alice McDermott
Seiobo There Below by László Krasznahorkai
Enon by Paul Harding
John Updike: The Collected Stories by John Updike
Nine Inches: Stories by Tom Perrotta
The Childhood of Jesus by J.M. Coetzee
The Maid's Version by Daniel Woodrell
Levels of Life by Julian Barnes
Traveling Sprinkler: A Novel by Nicholson Baker
Dissident Gardens by Jonathan Lethem
Mood Indigo: A Novel by Boris Vian previously known as "Foam on the Daze" or "Froth of a Daydream" - why have one title if you could have 3?)
Subtle Bodies by Norman Rush
His Wife Leaves Him by Stephen Dixon
Local Souls by Allan Gurganus
Between Friends by Amos Oz
The Brunist Day of Wrath by Robert Coover
Hawthorn & Child by Keith Ridgway (long released in the UK as far as I know)
Duplex: A Novel by Kathryn Davis
Goat Mountain by David Vann
At the Bottom of Everything by Ben Dolnick
The Traymore Rooms: A Novel in Five Parts by Norm Sibum

Anything here that will go straight on to your TBR?

The full list, covering release-dates for the second half of 2013 can be found here

message 25: by Alannah (new)

I am really looking forward to Doctor Sleep

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to read Macaddam but not sure if I need to re-read the 1st two books again. My boyfriend has just read them do maybe I'll get him to give me a summary

message 27: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I got doctor sleep on my to read list and styxx the next sherrilyn kenyon dark hunter novel which comes out september 10. I placed both of them on hold at my library. :-)

message 28: by Jenny (last edited Aug 31, 2013 08:54AM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments My personal shopping list regarding those September releases would be quite long I fear.
It would contain:

MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood
Seiobo There Below by László Krasznahorkai
John Updike: The Collected Stories by John Updike
The Childhood of Jesus by J.M. Coetzee
Levels of Life by Julian Barnes
Mood Indigo: A Novel by Boris Vian
Between Friends by Amos Oz

and I fear it could get longer as this is selection is just based on the fact that I know and like the authors.

message 29: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 537 comments Alannah wrote: "I am really looking forward to Doctor Sleep"

Me too - pre-ordered it yesterday. The Shining is my favourite SK book.

message 30: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments I definitely want to read the Margaret Atwood book (but I'm not re-reading the first two, Heather!) and also the J M Coetzee. I'll need to have a more detailed look at the others.

Re Richard and Judy's choice, I want to read the Maggie O'farrell book. I like her style of writing.

message 31: by LauraT (new)

Judy wrote: "Learn something new all the time in this group! I never heard of Richard and Judy However, I can't say that any of the titles capture my interest."

Gill wrote: "I definitely want to read the Margaret Atwood book (but I'm not re-reading the first two, Heather!) and also the J M Coetzee. I'll need to have a more detailed look at the others.

Re Richard and J..."

I was interested in Maggie O'Farrel, but I've nevere read anything by her!

message 32: by Laurel (new)

Laurel | 283 comments From the Richard & Judy list, I'd really like to read The Shining Girls and from the Millions one, the new Margaret Atwood and Stephen King books (although I will have to read The Year of the Flood and The Shining first!)

message 33: by Jenny (last edited Sep 02, 2013 05:20AM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments 2nd of September 2013

Good morning everyone! School is starting back in a lot of places at the moment and in the spirit of learning: here is a list of free video/audio courses on literature that open culture has provided links to (Harvard, Berkeley, Yale and Oxford are all in the mix).

message 34: by Abi (new)

Abi (abi_b) Tomorrow is the opening of the new Library of Birmingham, which will be the largest lending library in Europe. It seems to be one of those things that people either love or hate, and a lot of people in the city have been very critical was the way the library looks ('A lego brick crossed with Guantanamo Bay' is the best negative description I've seen so far!), but I for one think it looks really good - what do you think?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-...

http://www.libraryofbirmingham.com/

message 35: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 537 comments Wow - looks well worth a visit, and I am close!

message 36: by Jenny (last edited Sep 03, 2013 02:26PM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments 3rd September

e-book news:

Amazon has announced that it will launch his new service Kindle MatchBook in October, which will allow customers to buy E-books for a lower cost if they buy - or have previously bought - a print version of the same book. The service will initially be launched in the US, and only a selection of books will be available for the service.

And more Amazon related news: KOBO has stopped using Goodreads as a resource for their ebook-ratings and reviews, most likely as a result of Amazon's acquisition of Goodreads.

message 37: by Alannah (new)

Jenny wrote: " 3/09/2013

e-book news:

Amazon has announced that it will launch his new service Kindle MatchBook in October, which will allow customers to buy E-books for a lower cost if they buy - or have pr..."

That's kind of a good idea about the matchbook although I don't think I would use it.

message 38: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) It is a good idea but for people who don't buy anything on Amazon like me, it's not worth it. I get my books from barnes and noble with a giftcard if I decide to buy any. Or at hastings.

message 39: by Abi (new)

Abi (abi_b) It will be interesting to see how much Amazons definition of a 'lower cost' e-book is...!

message 40: by Jenny (last edited Sep 03, 2013 01:56PM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Abi, according to the article I linked "The digital editions will “typically” range in price between $0 and $2.99".

message 41: by Alannah (new)

Unless I really like the book, I tend not to re-read books.

message 42: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Me neither, but I know of people who like to have both versions because they prefer reading the 'proper' book at home, and take their e-reader with them for the subway or the likes. I sometimes considere that twin-set scenario for myself because I travel so much, so I am always in a hurry to finish a book before I fly or drive off again because I don't want to have to bring a 800 page book with me just because there are 50 pages left.

message 43: by Jenny (last edited Sep 03, 2013 02:13PM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Jenny wrote: "3/09/2013"

So slightly off topic, here comes a ' I am a foreigner and I need help' kind of question.

When providing you English speaking folk with a date ;), would this be correct 3/09/2013? Because I have recently seen this the other way around, so month before day: 9/03/2013.

Clarification deeply appreciated :)

message 44: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Month comes first than the date Jenny. ^_^

message 45: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Hi Jenny, in the UK we would use 03/09/2013 for 3rd September. I think they use the month first in the USA.

message 46: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Thanks Amber, but is this just the States only or the UK too, because the reason I am confused is that I keep seeing it both ways?

message 47: by Alannah (new)

Jenny wrote: "Jenny wrote: "3/09/2013"

So slightly off topic, here comes a ' I am a foreigner and I need help' kind of question.

When providing you English speaking folk with a date ;), would this be correct 3..."

I've only really seen the Americans do the month first then the day. I would write it like 3/9/13 but mostly I would just write 3rd September 2013.

message 48: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Ah sorry, Shirley I was typing while you replied. So which way to go in order to make everyone happy? 3rd September?

message 49: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) You can go either the USA way or the other way Jenny. It doesn't matter. we go the month first than the day in the states so it'd be 09/03/13 or 09/03/2013. No problem at all.

message 50: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Yes, I think that would be best, Jenny.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17