Speculative Fiction For Christians discussion

Christian Horror?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (cemartin2) | 8 comments So I just learned this week there's such a thing as "Christian Horror". I think I understand that to mean horror that takes place in a world with Christians. That is, one that doesn't discount Christianity as a myth, etc. (e.g. Star Trek, most Scifi).

If that's the case, I feel much better. I chose to make my action-horror series take place in a world that doesn't contradict the Bible. Hopefully. But it is a graphic, violent series that shows how truly evil, evil can be... right before the good guys stomp it.

What do you consider prerequisites for Horror to have in order to get the Christian tag? What can it not have?

message 2: by Keely (new)

Keely (aspiringwriter1) | 1 comments That is an oxymoron. There can be no such thing that can both honor Christ (by shocking or frightening people) in the sense of 'graphic and violence.'

message 3: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (cemartin2) | 8 comments I don't know about that. The cruxifiction scene in the Passion of the Christ (2004) is graphically violent and honors Christ by reminding us what He suffered for everyone.

But I was looking at Christian horror as a genre that just doesn't insult Christians, like so much spec fic does today (e.g. Firefly, which glorifies hookers... In space)

message 4: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Creeden (pcreeden) I actually wrote a blog post about Christian Horror - http://fatfreefaith.blogspot.com/2012...

and I have a novel coming out later this month that is based on a Christian Horror short story I wrote - http://www.fearandtremblingmag.com/20...

Sanctuary by Pauline Creeden

message 5: by The (new)

The Chronicler | 1 comments Interesting question. I hear "horror" and I guess that could be taken a couple different ways. There is a wide gap between the Passion of Christ and say something traditional like the Exorcist. My thought is look at what the writer/author is trying to achieve.

I would say 2 Timothy 1:7 is a good litmus test. "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear."

message 6: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Creeden (pcreeden) Good suggestion, AC - I could agree with that :)

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark Carver (markcarverbooks) | 6 comments I wrote a trilogy that takes place in a world where Satanism is the dominant religion, and there are plenty of horrific elements (demons have free run of the place, ritual violence, etc.) I wanted these books to be attention-grabbing and even shocking at times but my purpose was to plumb the depths of darkness in order to elucidate the need for light.

Christian horror has been around for quite some time (Dante's Inferno is the undisputed champion IMO, and Stoker's Dracula is firmly based in Christianity). Horror can go either way: it can be insulting and revel in its perversion and blasphemy, or it can highlight the depravity of sin and the necessity of a Savior.

message 8: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Creeden (pcreeden) I know the first time I read Dracula, I was surprised at the strong Christian Themes - I agree - it's Christian Horror - even if it has been twisted into something other by Hollywood :/

message 9: by Glen (new)

Glen Robinson (glenchen) | 10 comments What about Christian supernatural suspense--tales of angels and demons? Where is the line between that and Christian horror?

message 10: by Owl (new)

Owl Johnson | 6 comments Flannery O'Connor has commonly been called a writer of horror fiction (which, to the best of my knowledge, amused her somewhat). But it's not what we traditionally call horror. It's definitely psychological and talks about God's Grace and the odd ways in which it strikes people. Still scares me.

message 11: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Darlington (cjdarlington) | 1 comments The Oath by Frank Peretti could be considered Christian horror (though it's mild). The Oath

Also The Hunted by Mike Dellosso. The Hunted: A Novel

I've read both, and they are very good. Not too graphic, and including great spiritual threads as well.

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Kraft (kevkraft) | 8 comments Since "horror" carries, unfortunately, a negative connotation in Christendom, I've taken to call my novella, MOMO a "thriller," and it's gotten more reads that way...by Christians!

Check out these review/interview links for MOMO

http://christianfictionreviewguru.blo...

http://christianfictionreviewguru.blo...

http://juryof1.weebly.com/books

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Kraft (kevkraft) | 8 comments Keely wrote: "That is an oxymoron. There can be no such thing that can both honor Christ (by shocking or frightening people) in the sense of 'graphic and violence.'"

I'm late in coming to this discussion, but I've seen some great examples of Christian horror. Onscreen, there is THE LAST BREATH by Ty Jones, a Christian brother. His movie stays with you long after you see it. BLESS THE CHILD (2000) starring my friend, Holliston Coleman, is another great example. Horror even exists in the Bible, so it, in and of itself, doesn't dishonor God. Horror is part of our human existence. Whether it honors or glorifies God is that question. I used to think similarly to you about "Christian horror," but have since changed my mind about the subject.

message 14: by Fredösphere (new)

Fredösphere (fredosphere) | 18 comments I think Christian horror might be becoming a thing, and if so, it will shake up the genre and take it in new directions. Keely's problem is simply an overly-narrow definition. Horror has a lot more to offer than blood-splattered Creature Feature. See PZ's Podcast (hosted by a retired Rev.) for discussions of the Hammer Horror movies. See Mike Duran's contrast of Lovecraftian horror and Holy Dread. Google "Christian horror" and soak up the richness.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Kraft (kevkraft) | 8 comments Agreed. I'm not a horror fan, but I definitely see it as a legitimate genre for Christian writers to explore--and even more than the typical supernatural angel-demons spiritual warfare topics.

While I have since come to call my novel, MOMO, a "thriller," due to the stigma in Christian circles toward the word "horror," it could certainly be classified as horror by some. Check it out, if you get a chance.

MOMO
MOMO by Kevin M. Kraft

message 16: by Fredösphere (new)

Fredösphere (fredosphere) | 18 comments Kevin wrote: "While I have since come to call my novel, MOMO, a "thriller," due to the stigma in Christian circles toward the word "horror," it could certainly be classified as horror by some. Check it out, if you get a chance."

I didn't see the link to Lulu. (This one, right?) Did I miss something? And is there an ebook version available?

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasonh) Goodreads Author Mike Duran recently released a book on this very subject titled Christian Horror: On The Compatibility of a Biblical Worldview and the Horror Genre (https://www.goodreads.com/MikeDuran). He also frequently addresses this topic and other related subject matter on his excellent blog deCOMPOSE (mikeduran.com). For those who think Christianity and Horror are not compatible, I believe it will open your eyes and challenge some preconceived notions. A respectable entry into an important conversation among believing artists.