THE Group for Authors! discussion

Writer's Circle > Buying Books Through Goodreads

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Edgington | 2 comments Hi,

I'm new to Goodreads (but am very impressed with what I've seen so far!). One small question - when people go on to the Goodreads site to buy a book, I assume they click on the book they want, then click on the drop down menu to see where the book is available to buy from (like Amazon)and go onto that site to buy it. Is that how it works or have I missed something?

Regards

Jonathan

message 2: by rivka (new)

rivka | 562 comments That is exactly how it works. Users can customize their booklinks, so some will have the defaults, and some might have their local library and several indie bookstores and Powell Books (for example).

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex (ucbstirling) | 140 comments Rivka's got it right. We're a great place to find a book to read, and then we'll help you find it at any of your favorite online stores.

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Edgington | 2 comments Rivka & Alex - thanks for your messages - much appreciated.

message 5: by C.D. (new)

C.D. Coffelt (huntressakacd) | 12 comments A question about the links: after clicking on a booksellers, the ISBN13 number pops up on the website (Amazon) and nothing else. No book.

This is the same for all links. What am I doing wrong?

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 332 comments what book are you doing this on?

If amazon does not have that book for sale with the ISBN then it will not find it, it may find it by title search

The links are customizable by each user and only work if the book is for sale at the retail site you selected.

In addition, using the link on a Kindle edition with ASIN to go to BN will not work since BN do not sell Kindle books

message 7: by C.D. (new)

C.D. Coffelt (huntressakacd) | 12 comments Wilder Mage, released Aug 27. It is for sale at Amazon and B&N but I can't figure out the link situation. How do I establish the links so clicking on the seller goes to the book URL?

message 8: by C.D. (new)

C.D. Coffelt (huntressakacd) | 12 comments It seems to be searching for the ISBN number rather than the title. If this is correct, do I delete the ISBN number and put the title instead?

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 332 comments That ISBN will not work on Amazon, amazon uses the ASIN,
if you do a search on amazon with the ISBN then no book is returned.

I have added the kindle edition with the ASIN, the links on this book will only work on Amazon

message 10: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Sep 01, 2013 02:17PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) No, never delete or alter valid isbn numbers.

Just make sure all editions are on goodreads with accurate isbn and asin numbers (if a 13-digit bnid for nook edition starting with 294, that bnid goes in isbn13 field). Make sure all editions are combined for the book/work. That's all you do for purchase links, just get the edition and isbn/asin info correct.

Then everyone's purchase links work provided edition is available at that vendor. (If, for example, your book is not being sold at Diesel bookstores then no one's Diesel purchase link will work).

If not comfortable creating and combining editions, just ask in this group (providing all the bnid, isbn, asin, etc. data) and a librarian will do for you.

There's nothing else an author or librarian can do for the purchase links because every member on goodreads can customize their own.

(If you have a purchase link trying to search by title and you don't want it to, edit your profile and under "book links" -- change it to what you want. But keep in mind, that only affects your purchase link buttons; other goodreads members keep their same buttons which may be searching by isbn/asin or by title or whatever customized setting they input.)

message 11: by C.D. (new)

C.D. Coffelt (huntressakacd) | 12 comments I hate asking for help but I've hit a wall.

ISBN13 978-1-61937-620-5
ASIN B00EUI4XTW
BNID 2940148481379

Wilder Mage

Thank you for your help *sigh*

Debbie O'Neal wrote: "No, never delete or alter valid isbn numbers.

Just make sure all editions are on goodreads with accurate isbn and asin numbers (if a 13-digit bnid for nook edition starting with 294, that bnid g..."

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 332 comments Where all added yesterday

http://www.goodreads.com/work/edition...

message 13: by C.D. (new)

C.D. Coffelt (huntressakacd) | 12 comments Thanks :)